About to buy BBS02 750w kit

D

Deleted member 4366

That's the one, but be aware that it's rated at 20A continuous. The 750w BSS02 has a 25A controller. If you're going to go everywhere flat out, it might not be suitable. It should be fine for normal use with the pedal sensor.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Take Dave's advice Tony. LiFePO4 is bulky, heavy and needs installing inside the frame securely and preferably with padded shock protection.

The 48v 11.Ah bottle batteries are easy to fit, robust, and if you wait untill you can buy the one from Eclipse, perfectly fine with the BBS02 750w 25A.

I know you're getting itchy feet, but buying the wrong battery will taint your experience of electric biking and cost you in the long run.

Think of warranty. Eclipse will be easier to deal with than BMSbattery, if something goes wrong.

Handbaked recently had a problem with his bottle battery, which he bought from Eclipse. I believe they are sorting it out as I write this.

If the same problem occured with BMSbattery, I'd hate to think how long, if at all, the problem would take to sort out.

Dave buys his from BMSbattery, but he's a tinkerer, and can sort out electrical and mechanical problems quite easily. If you are not confident with soldering and electrical problem solving, then buy from the UK.

I'm not saying BMSbattery will definitely sell you a dud, but the potential is there.

Last edited:

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
just nice to have the power there if needed. will be cruising around 15-20mph most of the time on flat. i will order from bms, even with custom it is cheaper . many thanks d8veh

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks fordulike .i was thinking buying one from bms and a spare from eclipse when they have one so i have a spare for long distance

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks fordulike .i was thinking buying one from bms and a spare from eclipse when they have one so i have a spare for long distance
Thing is, you may find that by the time you get one shipped from BMSbattery, Eclipse may have them back in stock anyway.
I've been hearing about delays of batteries shipped from China recently.

Dave should be able to indicate how long it takes for his stuff to come from BMSbattery.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I've got the 750 motor and the 11 amp hour battery, both from eclipse. Last week I bought 2 16 amp hour 10C batteries from Hobbyking. In series that gives me enough voltage and plenty of current. More than the eclipse battery and I can not detect any difference at all in the performance. Of course, there may be a difference if the systems were tested objectively, but, for me, it seems the same.

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
Just a quick update. Have the battery from eclipse. Wow what a nice piece of kit. Have so much power and will cruise at 20mph very easy. Max I had it was 35mph due to gearing .

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
Another Question. i find i am on my lowest ring on rear all the time. and my legs are going faster then i want for a given speed. In short i want a bigger chainring. there are many adoptors avaliable, which one is best value for money.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He only wants an adapter not the whole motor.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Another Question. i find i am on my lowest ring on rear all the time. and my legs are going faster then i want for a given speed. In short i want a bigger chainring. there are many adoptors avaliable, which one is best value for money.
Em3ev do a 52T chainring:

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=193

Two problems going this route. You'll have to check if you will have enough frame clearance for a 52T. Plus, ordering small light items from them can result in high postage charges. It might be worth bunging on some extra Bafang spares in with the order to make it worthwhile.

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
Just been out for a 20mile ride with a friend who's got a oxygen bike. His is a 250w motor with 36v 15amp. I was on assist 1-3 of 9 and on max on a few small hills. My 48v11.6 ah battery was dead while his is only 30% down.
i find my bike over assisted at lowest level on flat, as I hardly have to put much effort in compare to my mate, is there a way to adjusted assiste level to be lower on low level .
I am on normal chain wheel and I find I am on my lowest wheel on my back 11t I think. Even on my lowest gear I find it over assisting on low level assist

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
that's the problem with bigger motors they use more power....maybe you could reduce your speed cut off point to extend range...

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
@tony2311, sounds like there is something amiss there bro, i have a Mosso 29er with the bbs02 750 with the same battery as you and i did 22.1 miles the other week, assist level 7 of 9 and averaged 21 mph over the ride which included the out half of a local tt which I averaged over 24mph .and my route is though quite hilly lanes to and from the tt course and I still had 2 bars remaining on the battery at the end of 22.1 miles.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
Ride it like an ordinary bike where you wouldn't use the 11t sprocket much. On level 1 (of 9) the assistance soon drops off in the lower gears as your speed increases and you can pedal as hard as you like. I like to ride at about 15 - 18mph and pedal reasonably hard. Only on steep hills (20%) do I ever use level 4 and that's not because I need the power, but to maintain a suitable cadence. Level 1 and 2 are usually all I need. Battery (same as yours) easily lasts 40+ miles.

Reactions: Kinninvie

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
thats where i think the problem is. if i change to a bigger clog at back with level1 assist. i use so little effort is it unreal. thats why i think my power is far too high on level 1 assist.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
thats where i think the problem is. if i change to a bigger clog at back with level1 assist. i use so little effort is it unreal. thats why i think my power is far too high on level 1 assist.
and you bought the most powerful Bafang because.... :D

Best bet is to get a programming cable and tame the levels right down to something you're happy with.

An established member over on Endless Sphere recommends to change the limit speed to 100% in all levels and change the limit current in increments for each level.

This way, the speed in each level is limited by current and apparently feels more natural.

Last edited: