About to buy tsdz2.Questions.

Rothar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 22, 2019
Hi,Long time lurker, first post. I've got good info on here so thanks to all.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 750w/48v tsdz2 .
Few questions for owners.

1.Which display should I go for. vlcd5 or vlcd6

2. I would like to experiment with larger chainring. Will any large ring of correct bcd suffice or do I need spacers/offset ring/adapter? (May depend on chainline for my particular bike?)

3.Any opinions on this battery from pspower. Supposed to have lg cells. http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2019-7y-bu86
Ordering motor from them so it would be handy to order battery also.

Thanks for reading.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The better display in real world use is vlcd5 buy the version with throttle and brake cut outs even if you do not use them [costs only a little bit more but costs a lot to add later]
Tried smaller and larger chain rings on the version you are looking at not a lot of difference unless you are hill climbing pulls hard to the cut out point
I use the smaller 13.6 ah version and get 30 +miles in turbo mode 50+ in eco probably will go further
Used psw web site as cheaper than amazon /ebay price arrived quickly

Reactions: Rothar

suggy

Pedelecer
Oct 21, 2019
Hi,Long time lurker, first post. I've got good info on here so thanks to all.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 750w/48v tsdz2 .
Few questions for owners.

1.Which display should I go for. vlcd5 or vlcd6

2. I would like to experiment with larger chainring. Will any large ring of correct bcd suffice or do I need spacers/offset ring/adapter? (May depend on chainline for my particular bike?)

3.Any opinions on this battery from pspower. Supposed to have lg cells. http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2019-7y-bu86
Ordering motor from them so it would be handy to order battery also.

Thanks for reading.
Definitely go for the the vlcd5 with throttle if you get tired on a long ride just pull the trigger.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Rothar

Nov 22, 2019
Possibly so, but the tinkerers among us are prepared to take our chances dealing direct with China and not pay the extra for your local service. (I'm not in UK anyway as it happens.)

e.g. I could buy two motors and a similar battery direct for similar money to what you're offering. A whole motor for spares would be far more attractive to me even if I was in UK. Others would feel differently of course. Thanks for heads up.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have to charge VAT while companies like PSWPower don't because they are based in China. They shipped duty paid but no VAT.
If you live in the Channel Islands, I don't charge you 20% UK VAT.

Reactions: Rothar and KirstinS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Possibly so, but the tinkerers among us are prepared to take our chances dealing direct with China and not pay the extra for your local service. (I'm not in UK anyway as it happens.)

e.g. I could buy two motors and a similar battery direct for similar money to what you're offering. A whole motor for spares would be far more attractive to me even if I was in UK. Others would feel differently of course. Thanks for heads up.
You're probably going to need those two motors.

Personally, I think this 750w motor is a strange choice. How did you come to the conclusion that it's suitable for your needs?

Reactions: Rothar and KirstinS

Rothar

Nov 22, 2019
I have to charge VAT while companies like PSWPower don't because they are based in China. They shipped duty paid but no VAT.
If you live in the Channel Islands, I don't charge you 20% UK VAT.
I live in eu so would have to pay your vat.
I understand that you have to charge what you do and that people will pay the premium for local service.For some that's a sound choice.
I'm only saying that I choose the other route.
I'll probably rip the motor apart and modify it anyway in the interests of science.:)

Rothar

Nov 22, 2019
You're probably going to need those two motors.

Personally, I think this 750w motor is a strange choice. How did you come to the conclusion that it's suitable for your needs?
Not in order of importance.
1. Cheap.
2.Spares cheap and available.
3.Plenty of online tech info
4.Mid drive.
5.Torque sensor.
6.Free open source firmware. (Just cause I like to experiment and I admire the ethos).May end up using factory firmware.
7.750 watt because I have a cargo bike and a 60kg trailer and I live in the hills. Motor will be mainly used in a touring bike but I want to experiment with loads.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not in order of importance.
1. Cheap.
2.Spares cheap and available.
3.Plenty of online tech info
4.Mid drive.
5.Torque sensor.
6.Free open source firmware. (Just cause I like to experiment and I admire the ethos).May end up using factory firmware.
7.750 watt because I have a cargo bike and a 60kg trailer and I live in the hills. Motor will be mainly used in a touring bike but I want to experiment with loads.
I was expecting you to say that you have hub brakes and/or hub gears, which would be logical reasons.
Did you consider a 48v Bafang BPM hub-motor?
1. Cheaper
2. You won't need spares
3. Plenty of info online that you will never need
4. Hub-motor is better than CD
5 Cadence or torque sensor. Cadence is better.
6. Free open source firmware if you use a KT controller, but you'll be happy with standard.
7. Can run with more than 1000W, though 25A 48v will be more than enough. Hub-motor is more suited to a touring bike than a crank drive.

• Agree
Reactions: Rothar and POLLY

Rothar

Nov 22, 2019
I was expecting you to say that you have hub brakes and/or hub gears, which would be logical reasons.
Did you consider a 48v Bafang BPM hub-motor?
1. Cheaper
2. You won't need spares
3. Plenty of info online that you will never need
4. Hub-motor is better than CD
5 Cadence or torque sensor. Cadence is better.
6. Free open source firmware if you use a KT controller, but you'll be happy with standard.
7. Can run with more than 1000W, though 25A 48v will be more than enough. Hub-motor is more suited to a touring bike than a crank drive.
Sorry that you find my reasons illogical.:)
I have actually looked at hub motors. Including bafang bpm.
Why do you think hub motors are better? (Surely not in any and all circumstances?)
Why is cadence sensor better.(Always?.)
I see pros and cons to both types , hub and mid. I've decided to go for mid in first instance.
Touring bike won't be mainly for touring.
I have various bikes with different wheel sizes.I'd like to experiment.
Also have bike with 8 speed hub gear.
I will almost certainly also get a hub motor soon. I like to try stuff for myself.
I'm aware that tsdz2 probably will need more ongoing attention than some other motors but I'm happy with that compromise.