Accident - what to do....

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
Hi all,

I would just like some advice.

I was cycling my E-Bike to work this morning when a private hire taxi pull out in front of me and I came off the bike. I was cycling about 25mph. I didn't hit the taxi, I braked and skidded and fell off.

I banged my head - not too bad (helmet took most of it) and my ankles but I have damaged my shoulder/arm. I have not been to hospital yet but I know I have done something as I cannot lift my arm above waist height.

Anyway....my problem...after the accident a couple of people came to help and the taxi stopped. He openly said that he was illegally working. I was a bit dazed and just bothered about getting on the road and fixing my bike - chain and handle bars. I took a couple of names and numbers who I have called but nobody has got back in touch with me. I do have the taxi drivers name and business name.

What do I do? Is there any point calling anyone - Police/taxi company.

How does anyone handle the situation when you have been in an accident? A lady offered to call an ambulance which I could have done with, however what do you do with your bike if you go in an ambulance?

I am at work now - no way of getting home as I cannot cycle one armed for 16 miles.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am not sure where I stand, if anywhere.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree first of all have your arm looked and injuries looked at.

You could report the incident to plod but as there was no actual accident or party's colliding then they will likely not do anything. Though may be able to give insurance details if asked for against a possible claim, though Taxi firm should do this.

For the illegal taxi operation you need to give details to your local council who deal with licensing of the vehicle /person.

If your injuries mean loss of earnings or other costs involved you would have to try and claim from the taxi firms insurance /car insurers esp if witness's can come forward. Taxi firm may deny all knowledge of driver.

My first action is to get any injuries accessed then report the incident to the taxi firm in person and police , if visiting taxi frim have some one with you as awitness to anything said.

Last resort if claiming is via legal services, possibly household policies may offer help or your car insurers but any involvement may affect policies if claim is insignificant.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all,

I would just like some advice.

I was cycling my E-Bike to work this morning when a private hire taxi pull out in front of me and I came off the bike. I was cycling about 25mph. I didn't hit the taxi, I braked and skidded and fell off.

I banged my head - not too bad (helmet took most of it) and my ankles but I have damaged my shoulder/arm. I have not been to hospital yet but I know I have done something as I cannot lift my arm above waist height.

Anyway....my problem...after the accident a couple of people came to help and the taxi stopped. He openly said that he was illegally working. I was a bit dazed and just bothered about getting on the road and fixing my bike - chain and handle bars. I took a couple of names and numbers who I have called but nobody has got back in touch with me. I do have the taxi drivers name and business name.

What do I do? Is there any point calling anyone - Police/taxi company.

How does anyone handle the situation when you have been in an accident? A lady offered to call an ambulance which I could have done with, however what do you do with your bike if you go in an ambulance?

I am at work now - no way of getting home as I cannot cycle one armed for 16 miles.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am not sure where I stand, if anywhere.
POLICE POLICE POLICE!!!!
Don't waste time posting here, yet!!
Best wishes
Andy

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
Thank you all for the advice. In A&E now then will contact Police.

What a shame...beautiful day outside....be great for cycling!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Follow Neale's advice, but for getting home with your bike, you could call that taxi company and say in view of the accident, the least they can do is give you and your bike a lift home.

Reactions: lolipop808

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having thought about this some more, I would now be inclined to go to the taxi operator first if any claim is to be made. I wouldn't say anything to them regarding going to plod or council.
Irrelevant of what happens with said taxi operator I would pay the local authority a visit as they deal with taxi licensing and give them the information of the events regarding possible illegal taxi operation going on what the driver may have said.

Plod may or may not be interested but if you suspect that the driver was uninsured then it might be worth mentioning, butt he fact no physical contact was made between both parties they might not bother.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
When I was taken away in an ambulance, the bike was loaded into the ambulance with me. The bike was stashed in a spare storage room (Manchester mri) at the hospital until I was able to collect it a week or so later

• Informative
Reactions: flecc