Add-E - New bike kit

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Austria is pretty soggy too (and lots of snow). Having used an original Vélosolex for quite a few years in soggy Nantes: yes you do have drive slip.

But having said that when there is enough water for it to slip it only does so on bumpy sections of road and you don't want to be going fast in those conditions. The Vélosolex tyres were very also hard compound to stop being chewed up by the drive, compounds have greatly improved since then. The contact area was slick.

I had an accident (hit and run) with mine and stripped the motor down and modified it slightly (I was in my 20's :rolleyes: ). While I was refixing the broken bolts holding the alternator (?) side back on I whipped off the cylinder and filed the ports and a bit off the top. Top speed well in excess of 45 kph maybe 55-60 kph, no speedos back in those days. And to go really fast you had to push the lever on the motor with your foot to force more traction on the tyre... :D

D

Deleted member 4366

It'll probably work. I like the fact that it removes easily, but you wouldn't want to leave it anywhere where someone might know how to remove it. The range claim is hopelessly exaggerated. 50km from a 22v 6Ah battery. Why do they want to have a lot of disappointed customers? My reckoning says about 10 miles max. Of course, if you leave it disengaged, you could get 50 miles on a good day, riding on flat roads.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Austria is pretty soggy too (and lots of snow). Having used an original Vélosolex for quite a few years in soggy Nantes: yes you do have drive slip.

But having said that when there is enough water for it to slip it only does so on bumpy sections of road and you don't want to be going fast in those conditions. The Vélosolex tyres were very also hard compound to stop being chewed up by the drive, compounds have greatly improved since then. The contact area was slick.

I had an accident (hit and run) with mine and stripped the motor down and modified it slightly (I was in my 20's :rolleyes: ). While I was refixing the broken bolts holding the alternator (?) side back on I whipped off the cylinder and filed the ports and a bit off the top. Top speed well in excess of 45 kph maybe 55-60 kph, no speedos back in those days. And to go really fast you had to push the lever on the motor with your foot to force more traction on the tyre... :D
i saw a couple on velosolexes in france recently, putting around isle de oleron, they are beautifully retro, i dont mind having to wear a helmet, i just wish one didnt have to have insyurance or road registration with them (I'm not saying on eshouldnt have it, ican appreciate its a motorcycle, i simply wish one were free, as a bird, to use it like a bicycle)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Back in the day it was the equivalent of a pedelec - no helmet, no number plate, very cheap insurance. They got moved into the moped class in the 90's IIRC.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
No one metioned it yet, but this motor is very light at 1kg. With the battery it is 2Kg total. So put this onto a road bike it would be fast and the 50Km range would seem reachable due to the lack of weight combined with pedaling.

One major disadvantage is why is it so expensive for what it is.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's still only 120whs in the battery. 50 km would be 3.8 wh/mile. Most people coild probably manage 50km on a road bike without any power as long as there's no hills. If you only used the motor for hills, the actual motor usage would be about 2 - 3 miles before the battery is flat. It doesn't make sense to make any claims about the range if you're riding with the motor switched off most of the time because it can be whatever you want

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Back in the day it was the equivalent of a pedelec - no helmet, no number plate, very cheap insurance. They got moved into the moped class in the 90's IIRC.
Do they still make the Velocex? I loved the idea of them, that's what ebikes are really in spirit, they've got in them the memory somehow of these incredible French countryside runabouts.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Only takes an hour to recharge the battery...saw some foldable solar panels somewhere that might do the job on the go...on a sunny day of course!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Velosolex were always classified as motorcycles in the UK, meaning a full m/c licence and all the accompanying motor vehicle stuff.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do they still make the Velocex? I loved the idea of them, that's what ebikes are really in spirit, they've got in them the memory somehow of these incredible French countryside runabouts.
As John has indicated they have gone electric. The company was sold and bought several times, the last 2 strokes were made somewhere in eastern Europe. Of course the 2 stroke Solex is a champion of air polution, the simple engine designed in the early 1900's needs leaded petrol so as well as mixing in oil you need to use an additive replacing lead.

They are back in vogue with the richer young kids - scooters being for the unwashed masses. Very few of the 60's model I had are left. Mostly you see the Motobecane version of the classic black Solex.

Reactions: jonathan75