Add more power

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
I want to change my bbs01b controller to 20amp . Has anyone tried this and it's still reliable. Currently it's 18amp

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was about to up my amps from 15, but I accidentally killed my controller while attempting something else (poor solderingskills - much improved since :cool:), and then my programming cable stopped working (broken internal wire). But this makes me cautious, even though I now have a new controller - looks like a Bafang HD? We might never know what caused it, overloaded batteries?

I don't know why I was considering more amps, because my BBS01b copes with everything I throw at it anyway... it's a tinkering fetish, and a habitual need for speed, which I no longer need or want. But I'd only get more power with more amps, and faster acceleration, less range, hotter battery and motor, shorter battery lifespan.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You need to consider if your battery is capable of delevering 20A without stress. It should be rated 25-30A maximum to do this.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You need to consider if your battery is capable of delevering 20A without stress. It should be rated 25-30A maximum to do this.

I have no idea what my batter is capable of. There's no continuous discharge rating on the battery, the seller said it contains LG cells. I asked the seller about how many amps it was rated for, and he claimed 25A. Now that the 1 year warranty has expired, I might open it up to have a good look. He suggested that the large number of cells in the battery made it capable of providing 25A continuously. It's the 19.2ah below (but it's been a year, and the battery I bought last year might contain different LG? cells)

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For Guerney's battery they are MH1's as the only 3200mah cell LG produce.

Test of LG 18650 MH1 3200mAh (Cyan) (lygte-info.dk)

What the 6p bank of cells can deliver current wise depends on the BMS continuous discharge. With 6p the battery theoretically could discharge 60a but a safe good level is 30a.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

What the 6p bank of cells can deliver current wise depends on the BMS continuous discharge. With 6p the battery theoretically could discharge 60a but a safe good level is 30a.

Thank you nealh, that's very useful. I ordered a new programming cable rather than attempt repairing the one with the iffy broken internal cable, and am now very tempted to try out 20A! It's out of curiosity, not need - this bbs01b @15A tackles all the steep hills around here with no problems. But more amps might come in handy around harvest - end of October next year - when dragging around pumpkins on a trailer of some description, and greatly increased weight. If I can't find one of your excellent Carry Freedoms (cheers for the heads up!), I'll opt for a Homcom folding trailer - how bad could it be?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Now that the 1 year warranty has expired, I've opened the case and nealh - you're right! MH1 cells! Presumably I can safely set the controller to 20A??!?!?

Here's the BMS sticker:

There are marks within the battery case where the battery pack has been bouncing on it. I can hear it banging about, when bouncing over potholes:

I've added a couple of narrow strips of sponge, but there must be some better (but thin?) shock absorbing material? This is just the stuff left over from installing my halogen hob:

I can't work out what these marks are without removing the sticky dark green paper. Looks like oil or glue (there are wires underneath that part, could be glue), hope it's not leaky cells :eek: Where there's smoke, there's fire? It looks like oil or glue, and it's on the side of the pack near the BMS, not leaking out underneath.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Now that the 1 year warranty has expired, I've opened the case and nealh - you're right! MH1 cells! Presumably I can safely set the controller to 20A??!?!?

View attachment 45440

View attachment 45445

View attachment 45447

Here's the BMS sticker:

View attachment 45441

There are marks within the battery case where the battery pack has been bouncing on it. I can hear it banging about, when bouncing over potholes:

View attachment 45442

View attachment 45443

I've added a couple of narrow strips of sponge, but there must be some better (but thin?) shock absorbing material? This is just the stuff left over from installing my halogen hob:

View attachment 45444

I can't work out what these marks are without removing the sticky dark green paper. Looks like oil or glue (there are wires underneath that part, could be glue), hope it's not leaky cells :eek: Where there's smoke, there's fire? It looks like oil or glue, and it's on the side of the pack near the BMS, not leaking out underneath.

View attachment 45446
Which supplier was your battery from?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Which supplier was your battery from?
It was part of a bbs01b kit bought from IEBIKE via Amazon. They don't usually have any stock in the UK, but sometimes they do. Diagnostics are carried out on faulty items in China.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BMS looks like it is 22a continuous so one could go 20a if the programming allows.
The stains I would lift the paper insulation covering to look, does it smell of electrolyte ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The BMS looks like it is 22a continuous so one could go 20a if the programming allows.
The stains I would lift the paper insulation covering to look, does it smell of electrolyte ?
This battery has always smelled of something, which could be electrolyte. The smell was much stronger when I opened the battery case. But voltage and performance were good, fully charged voltage is lower than last year. What is the function of the green sticky paper? It doesn't look particularly strong - if I peel it away, what could I replace it with? Gaffa tape?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The paper is an insulator /protector and is quite hard wearing.
Re use the paper if poss and use a wrap or two of kapton tape to bind it again.
Once lifted it depends what the cells look like and whether leaking has occurred, leaking will show up as the cell wrap will be bubbly/rough. Electrolyte smell I can't describe but any smell is abnormal as cells don't smell.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Once lifted it depends what the cells look like and whether leaking has occurred, leaking will show up as the cell wrap will be bubbly/rough. Electrolyte smell I can't describe but any smell is abnormal as cells don't smell.
This battery has always smelled of something, does remind me of a puffy laptop battery, but it performs ok (I think).

If you look at the photo below, the two marks follow shape of the wires 1 and 2 exactly - I think the heat from those wires (transferred from cells beneath?) has broken down the tacky but not permanent adhesive which covers this paper. It removed fairly easily and re-stuck well. No cells look puffy, nothing is leaking. The cell pack isn't deformed. I'm wondering if the smell is from the paper adhesive breaking down with heat or something?

This foam left over from installing my halogen hob is supposed to be slippy (designed to allow the glass of the hob to slide over, as it expands and shrinks with changing temperature. Lots of cowboy builders stick those hobs down with silicone glue, which causes the hob to crack lol) and tolerate high temperatures, so I've used what I had left to add some more padding - must get more for the top interior of the casing, to further prevent these banging noises over potholes coming from the battery... unless someone suggests a better foam to use.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Kapton - That's what's used for the James Webb telescope heat shields:

I'll get some:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If this battery pack contains puffy cells causing a smell, are there any electrical tests I could do? Like I said, it performs ok. I haven't charged it for awhile, but will report back with it's fully charged voltage.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This battery was as stinky when I bought it, but it's managed over a year of much use. It's puzzling that it smells, but surely a cell would have popped and caused an explosion or fire by now, if whatever this smell is, was indicative of a battery problem?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Will this paper cope with increased heat of 20A? The adhesive of the paper seems to be breaking down above hot wires... Maybe I should just replace it all with Kapton tape?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Bit late to the party, but I hope I can provide some useful information. Forum peeps have probably heard me mention this before, but I believe it's quite an important programming change, to give the BBS series a bit more oomph.

This only applies to PAS! So if you feel it's lacking somewhat in hill climbing abilities, or just a general lack of torque when pedalling, then change the following setting.

Go to the 'Keep Current' box on the 'Pedal Assist' page. Change it to a higher value than the one present. If it's at 100%, then it's maxed already, but if it's a lower value, then change the value to a higher figure. No need to max out, but a good idea is to increase in increments of 10%, until you achieve the results you want.

Basically, this feature drops the supplied amps to the percentage in the box, once the bike is being pedalled at a certain speed. This is great for flat terrain and improves overall battery economy. The problem is when you are pedalling uphill, where the controller will drop available amps and hence reducing torque. The opposite of what you need when traversing steep terrain.

I've known forum members receiving controllers with the 'Keep Current' set to 10%, which is no use to man or beast on an electric bike.

Obviously, depending on the controllers other settings, results in how well changing the 'Keep Current' will effect the riding performance. If you are generally happy with everything else, but just need some extra oomph in PAS, then this is the setting to change.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bit late to the party, but I hope I can provide some useful information. Forum peeps have probably heard me mention this before, but I believe it's quite an important programming change, to give the BBS series a bit more oomph.

This only applies to PAS! So if you feel it's lacking somewhat in hill climbing abilities, or just a general lack of torque when pedalling, then change the following setting.

Go to the 'Keep Current' box on the 'Pedal Assist' page. Change it to a higher value than the one present. If it's at 100%, then it's maxed already, but if it's a lower value, then change the value to a higher figure. No need to max out, but a good idea is to increase in increments of 10%, until you achieve the results you want.

Basically, this feature drops the supplied amps to the percentage in the box, once the bike is being pedalled at a certain speed. This is great for flat terrain and improves overall battery economy. The problem is when you are pedalling uphill, where the controller will drop available amps and hence reducing torque. The opposite of what you need when traversing steep terrain.

I've known forum members receiving controllers with the 'Keep Current' set to 10%, which is no use to man or beast on an electric bike.

Obviously, depending on the controllers other settings, results in how well changing the 'Keep Current' will effect the riding performance. If you are generally happy with everything else, but just need some extra oomph in PAS, then this is the setting to change.

I totally agree!

An odd error popped up when changing the "Current Limit" from 15 to 20... "Speed Meter Signals" kept defaulting to 36, and the "Speed Meter Type" changed, which produced the error "Out of range", and the "Current Limit" set itself to 1. Reading the firmware confirmed these odd settings, and it wouldn't write the settings I wanted. But after disconnecting and shutting down the Penoff's Config tool, switching the battery off, disconnecting the cable, then switching the battery back on, connecting the cable and then starting and connecting the software, then reading the firmware, setting "Speed Meter Signals" back to 1, and setting "Speed Meter Type" back to "External, Wheel Meter" again... it's now a 20A bbs01b! Will it explode the battery when I try it later on? If it's ill. It's too cold to try just now.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe I should set the controller to 19A, because I have 0.68A in lights soldered to the battery?