Adding a motor to a Fabric Folding bike

dt91

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2021
Hi

Just wanted to ask if there's any possibility (at all) for adding a motor to this bike, capable of getting it up to 10-15mph going up steep hills. Thumb throttle would be a preference but not essential, I've read ebikes handle hills better with peddle assist. Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the bike below;

Let me know if there's any info you want me to find out that isn't in the link

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
By time you take an ultra-light bike like that and make it electric, you end up with more weight and paying way more than one built for purpose... like a Fiido D4S, £540... as a typical, low-cost example.

I don't see that converting a bike like that makes much sense IMHO. There are plenty of decent electric compact e-bikes built specifically for purpose, with prices from £500 up to £3000. Any conversion by comparison is an overweight, overpriced bodge by comparison.

dt91

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2021
By time you take an ultra-light bike like that and make it electric, you end up with more weight and paying way more than one built for purpose... like a Fiido D4S, £540... as a typical, low-cost example.

I don't see that converting a bike like that makes much sense IMHO. There are plenty of decent electric compact e-bikes built specifically for purpose, with prices from £500 up to £3000. Any conversion by comparison is an overweight, overpriced bodge by comparison.
Thanks, will take a look into the fiido. How long is shipping typically, do they have manufacturing in the UK?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As with all bikes at the moment it's a question of what's available. Fiido are Chinese. They have a UK warehouse in Bath and a service centre in London. Delivery from stock is in a couple of days. There are better compact e-bikes available: Fiido concentrate on "value", the D4S being one of their most popular.

Folding Electric Bike - Fiido

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have a look at Ebay. There are some reasonable folding electric bikes there for £500 to £600. If you see one you like, post details here so that we can check it out for you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I don't know about weight. A motor weighs the same as it does on a storebought ebike as the converted ebike. However, I agree it's impossible to hide a battery like Fiido and Qualisports do with their seatpost batteries.

As far as cost, I have to pay the markup on the motor and the donor bike. I pay 2x more for the same battery that's in the commercial bike, I've always said I can't beat the cost on a low priced ebike with my conversion.

However, my wife rides a full suspension e-folder , and also a step-thru e-folder . Those are two frame styles you don't often see in store bought folders. My folder is about 36 pounds with battery, which is relatively light. I can also expand my three bikes with additional battery capacity for a long ride, or I can switch between 36V and 48V for more power.

Nonetheless, I agree with the buy vs build tilting toward buy. Add up what it will cost to buy the fabricbike, motor kit, and battery. Then compare with a comparable commercial ebike.