Adjusted my brakes - now they are even worse! Help

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hi all

I have a Wisper 905 with Avid Single Digit 7 rear graphite brakes.

They needed adjusting, so I followed the instructions in this video on how to adjust them (as I have never done it before)

How to Adjust the Brakes on Your Bicycle: Bicycle Tips & Maintenance | eHow.com

But now, like what happens in the video, when I apply the brakes, only one side of the brake moves towards the wheel rim. The video says there is a small screw which you can adjust to fix this. But, I cannot find this screw on my brakes!

What should I do? Does anyone know how to fix this problem? These are my brakes: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22385

Many thanks for any advice

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The screw is quite small and can be found on the pivot below the brake pad.
Turn clockwise to increase spring action of the brake arm and anti clockwise to decrease.
If you release the cable from the top of the assembly and try turning the screw in and out it, you will be able to feel how it affects the movement of the arm on the pivot.
Increasing the spring action (clockwise) will pull the arm more strongly away from the rim. Anti clockwise weakens the spring action.
It's a case of testing and adjusting both arms to find the right balance where both arms operate equally.
Note: adjust with brake cable attached. When i said release it is just for demonstration to show you how it all works.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi all

I have a Wisper 905 with Avid Single Digit 7 rear graphite brakes.

They needed adjusting, so I followed the instructions in this video on how to adjust them (as I have never done it before)

How to Adjust the Brakes on Your Bicycle: Bicycle Tips & Maintenance | eHow.com

But now, like what happens in the video, when I apply the brakes, only one side of the brake moves towards the wheel rim. The video says there is a small screw which you can adjust to fix this. But, I cannot find this screw on my brakes!

What should I do? Does anyone know how to fix this problem? These are my brakes: Avid Single Digit 7 2010 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Many thanks for any advice
I might be wrong but, from the picture of your brakes, there appears to be a small screw on your brakes. I've copied the picture and inserted an arrow pointing to the screw

brakes +.jpg

This screw will increase or reduce the tension on the brake. Hope this helps.

John

Hey Dave you beat me to it:)

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Thanks for your replies. I did see that screw but it didnt seem to do make any difference when I moved it, maybe I was doing it wrong! I will have another go, and let you know how I get on...

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for your replies. I did see that screw but it didnt seem to do make any difference when I moved it, maybe I was doing it wrong! I will have another go, and let you know how I get on...
I find on mine that i have to screw it nearly all the way in for a significant amount of spring resistance to be felt. Although i only have Shimanos at the cheaper end of the scale, so yours will probably be better quality.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And if they are both well screwed in, you may have to unscrew one or both out a bit to start again to get the balance right.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I should imagine the spring tension on the one with the missing screw will be too weak to adjust properly.
Halfords or LBS will be able to help you out :)
If you can't just get the single screw then they're not expensive to replace the whole caliper.
You do have a Wisper, you must be loaded.

Last edited:

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
LOL, I wish I was loaded!

I find it a pain to have to replace anything on the bike, as I have to go back to the electric transport shop, and they seem to be permanently closed!

Also, do I need some kind of special allen to adjust this screw? I dont think I have the correct one?

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
A cross headed screwdriver usually works for this.

If you remove the screw from the other side and take it to your LBS or Halfords, they would probably be able to give you a matching one to replace the one you lost. Hopefully they shouldn't charge too much for this!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A cross headed screwdriver usually works for this.
The one in the picture does look like a hex or star headed type.
Don't try with a cross headed screwdriver if it's not the right one, you'll knack the screw head. Then you'll be bleep bleep bleep :eek:

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
The one in the picture does look like a hex or star headed type.
Don't try with a cross headed screwdriver if it's not the right one, you'll knack the screw head. Then you'll be bleep bleep bleep :eek:
I think you are right, it looks like a hex. Where would I find the right driver?! Omg, it gets worse! LOL

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
B and Q will probably sell mini kits with multi hex attachments and rachet and/or screwdriver thingy. Sorry couldn't think of correct word.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since you need to get a new screw, get two if the replacement ones are slot or crosshead and that solves both problems.

You can get the existing one out by turning it with pliers if necessary.