Adjusting aluminium frame fro the rear hub

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
I just found great youtube which explain in details how to install a rear hub.

This part explains how to widen the frame to allow 140mm hub into 135mm fork. Can this technique be applied to the following frame types?

1. 6061 Aluminium
2. 7075 Aluminium
3. Steel frame

Thanks
Alex

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I just found great youtube which explain in details how to install a rear hub.

This part explains how to widen the frame to allow 140mm hub into 135mm fork. Can this technique be applied to the following frame types?

1. 6061 Aluminium
2. 7075 Aluminium
3. Steel frame

Thanks
Alex
I used exactly that technique for my steel frame, but I'd be dubious about doing it to an aluminium one - an uneasy feeling about cracking or overly stressing it. Steel is much more forgiving.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They will stretch apart to some extent and usually sufficiently if it's a frame for 26" or larger wheels, but tend to revert to almost the old width as soon as you let go. It is risky though.

However, if you aren't taking the motor wheel in and out all the time, springing the frame slightly to get it in might not be a problem. Much depends on how much it needs to part, since stretching it a lot will leave the dropout blades out of parallel, veeing out to the rear.

I did stretch a frame on a 20" wheel bike to take a wider motor assembly, but with the short stays on that I had to part two joints and then weld the alloy again, not an easy task. You can read about that with how I corrected for the parallel problem and see the photos half way down my webpage here.

Also I always used to manually stretch a Lafree alloy frame for tyre or tube changes past the l/h spindle as this photo of me doing it shows:

footmethodtubechange.jpg

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
They will stretch apart to some extent and usually sufficiently if it's a frame for 26" or larger wheels, but tend to revert to almost the old width as soon as you let go. It is risky though.
Also I always used to manually stretch a Lafree alloy frame for tyre or tube changes past the l/h spindle as this photo of me doing it shows:
My plans are to use a 26 or 700 bike. I guess I should find bullet proof tires and never replace them :)

Thanks