adjusting handlebar stem height quickly on a bike

JohnDeere8530

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2010
As per previous post I have made a wheelchair into a trike for a disabled chappy.
The thing is he needs to occasionally adjust the stem height of his handlebars quickly when about to make a sharp turn in a confined space. This will enable the handle bar ends come over the top of his knees when turning. Once he has turned they can be dropped again.

It is a standard 22.2mm wedge type stem with a long centre bolt. Has anyone ever seen this with a quick release lever on the top (such as you might get for attaching bike wheels)? Ideally there will be a stem manufactured for this, but I cant seem to find one even with the aid of google.

I would be grateful for any advice

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Gazelle Easy-Glider (photo below) had a lever operated quick-adjust extension doing the same thing. I don't know the type and size but maybe a Gazelle dealer can advise:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
As per previous post I have made a wheelchair into a trike for a disabled chappy.
The thing is he needs to occasionally adjust the stem height of his handlebars quickly when about to make a sharp turn in a confined space. This will enable the handle bar ends come over the top of his knees when turning. Once he has turned they can be dropped again.

It is a standard 22.2mm wedge type stem with a long centre bolt. Has anyone ever seen this with a quick release lever on the top (such as you might get for attaching bike wheels)? Ideally there will be a stem manufactured for this, but I cant seem to find one even with the aid of google.

I would be grateful for any advice

My wife has a Synergie Breeze that came with an adjustable quill type stem, Alien took over synergie gear and I`m not sure if they have any bikes left but if you speak to Jim he might have some odds and sods.

Having said that, I`m not sure how long the mech would last if it was released and relocked on a regular basis.
I think I`ve seen quick release handlebars that would allow you to swivel the bars up and down to give you the clearance but of course if you want to do that from a sitting position it might be a bit of a reach.