Advanced Stop Line / Area / Zone - which cyclist gets priority?

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Or is it just a starting line for a mini-race?
They have just upgraded an traffic light intersection here and added the advanced stop zone. I have cycled this route for years, but this has caused some strange behaviour now.
This morning, there were cyclists entering this zone from the pavement, the left of the cars on the road, inbetween the cars in the lanes and even in the oncoming car lane to get in front. We all ended up in a line, and I arrived there almost last, what should be the etiquette?
Do I just take the lead?
If it is close, should I stay next to the other cyclists at the same speed and block the cars behind us?
Is it a race to get in front?
Tried to find some explanation on the normal cyclist rules, but it doesn't seem clear. Did I miss that part? :confused::confused:

[this is an example of the advanced stop zone - http://ukcyclerules.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/asz-infringement.jpg

This is the only info I found on entering them Advanced stop zones | UK Cycle Rules - information on cycling law in England and Wales

and this is a leaflet I found on them - http://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.84004!/file/Advance_Stop_lines.pdf ]

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After years of them in London, the things that I can say for certain is that these advanced stop zones for bikes intensely irritate motorists and in many cases motorists routinely ignore them, coming to a halt over them.

The most idiotic one I know is just after the Purley Way South junction on the A22 exit. There the cycle lane is ended by the pavement swerving out into the road just by the traffic lights car stop line. The advanced stop zone is just beyond, so even with cars correctly stopped, the cyclist cannot ride into the stop zone since the pavement step-out across the cycle lane prevents access.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Whilst its obviously a problem with drivers entering these zones I think there is a very widespread level of disobedience with regard to them. The other day I saw a driving instructor taking no notice of a zone. Yes it was an instructor as there was nobody else in the car.

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
My prefered etiquette is to leave them to it and just stop wherever I am in the traffic. I only use these boxes if I happen to be at the front anyway.

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor vehicles in Telford completely ignore them and only stop at the second line, so it's every man for himself (or woman).

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
In Brighton there is ususly a taxi or bus in them - by far worst offenders. Normal drivers do seem to stay out (by and large)

Cyclist etiquette down here is. First person takes front left slot , 2nd and maybe 3rd take next slots on the right. Anyone else lines up behind. It's then a case of seeing who is fastest off them lights. You dont want to be stuck in the outside front slot but unable to get ahead of those to your left - or you end blocking cars and they really hate that

As an ebiker it's not an issue - always beat anyone off the lights - up to 15.5mph anyway

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Here in hilly Sheffield cycle lanes and advanced stop zones are generally ignored by drivers. That’s because the bicycle is a rare sight and drivers are not programmed to consider, see or allow for the presence of bikes. Almost all the on-road cycle lanes have parked cars in them, very often bumped up on the pavement.

Another bug bare of mine, cars blocking the pavement but there are a lot of narrow roads in the valleys, and few places for cars to be parked without making the road too narrow for buses and lorries to get past.

Having said that this morning I took this footage, and there was a little space in the red zone for me to slip down the left and on to the front line for a quick start. Before getting away from all the road traffic onto the off road tracks.

[video=youtube;5UYzxZG933c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5UYzxZG933c[/video]

Chris

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
As an ebiker it's not an issue - always beat anyone off the lights - up to 15.5mph anyway
Yeah, I was thinking that, but is it going to upset the cyclists who get there first? Maybe I should just ask them before the light changes hehehe... I doubt most would keep up with my Aurora, but the next morning they may not be too civil when they see me again...

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yeah, I was thinking that, but is it going to upset the cyclists who get there first? Maybe I should just ask them before the light changes hehehe... I doubt most would keep up with my Aurora, but the next morning they may not be too civil when they see me again...
Rule of Life: If you're not fast, you're last.
They can eat your dust.

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Whilst its obviously a problem with drivers entering these zones I think there is a very widespread level of disobedience with regard to them. The other day I saw a driving instructor taking no notice of a zone. Yes it was an instructor as there was nobody else in the car.
A bit off-topic, but I had to comment on this.
My wife's a driving instructor; we only have one car between us. This means I often drive the liveried driving school car but I'm not an instructor; as long as I don't display the L-plates that's fine.

Obviously I drive impeccably so as not to bring her business into disrepute, but not all spouses of ADI's are that conscientious!

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Part of the problem is that these ASL's began appearing without any explanation from the Councils etc.
A notice alongside the first few explaining them would have helped. I bet many car drivers are unaware that they must stop before them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Strange story on Bike news and reviews | road.cc about ASL behaviour, but the other way round! :-o
"Police release pictures of 'aggressive cyclist' in Bath who threatened and abused motorists
Victims said cyclist 'ranted and raved' at driver who had strayed into ASL".
Ooh, err, must have given someone a scare, or is this the start of something else?
Police release pictures of 'aggressive cyclist' in Bath who threatened and abused motorists | road.cc
And you think that's acceptable Mike, even with a child present in the car?

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
And you think that's acceptable Mike, even with a child present in the car?
No, but I thought it an odd story, maybe worth posting, just for comparison. I thought cycling was supposed to be good for anger management. It does seem something strange in the air, I caught a bit of Mayors question time, and Boris was acting very different, chiding Brit drivers for intimidating cyclists and praising Deutsche drivers for their civility! 2 people acting like they've been taken over, one by the Hulk and the other by the Wombles. Must be the weather. Merry Xmas to all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought cycling was supposed to be good for anger management.
I'm sure road rage isn't due to the vehicle used, it's who's using it. I've even seen a shocking example of "road rage" from a disabled man in his mobility carriage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's all good for publicity. It saves me from having to do something.
I'm not sure I understand. We don't have any right of direct action and even remonstrating with someone is inadvisable and often frowned upon by the authorities as likely to provoke a breach of the peace.

We can report breaches of regulations and/or campaign about their prevalence, but that's as far as our actions should go.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not sure I understand. We don't have any right of direct action and even remonstrating with someone is inadvisable and often frowned upon by the authorities as likely to provoke a breach of the peace.

We can report breaches of regulations and/or campaign about their prevalence, but that's as far as our actions should go.
It's not a question about what's right or wrong. Hopefully, the guy will appear on Crimewatch or the national news, in which case it would be a very quick way of publicising to everybody what these zones are for, which ultimately might save lives and serious injury, so a few people being offended by a guy ranting at them is a small price to pay by comparison. Let's call it collateral damage.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
It's not a question about what's right or wrong. Hopefully, the guy will appear on Crimewatch or the national news, in which case it would be a very quick way of publicising to everybody what these zones are for, which ultimately might save lives and serious injury, so a few people being offended by a guy ranting at them is a small price to pay by comparison. Let's call it collateral damage.
I don't necessarily agree that any publicity is good publicity. IMHO, the overriding impression people will be left with is of an aggressive cyclist, not a clearer understanding of what the ASL is about.