Advice for 20" hubs.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
In the kit of bits for the controller, there is a black 2 pin plug with a loop of blue wire in it. The only corresponding plug on the controller has blue and black wires in it. It is the only one that is unlabelled on the S06S details and isn't mentioned at all on the downloadable diagram.
Anyone know what it's for? Is it a derestriction loop?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Now that the lcd has been set to wheel size I can get an accurate take on speed. On the stand and using throttle, the max speed obtained is restricted by the max speed setting. Currently it's giving 20mph which'll probably give around 18mph on the road. Although the motor seems to drive all the way up around 40-45kph when the setting is at default of 72kph (way too fast for a 20inch wheel bike - I would thinko_O).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bleu loop is for cruise function.
Original KT's I think only have the derestriction wire which is a single SM1 connector with a white wire.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Now that the lcd has been set to wheel size I can get an accurate take on speed. On the stand and using throttle, the max speed obtained is restricted by the max speed setting. Currently it's giving 20mph which'll probably give around 18mph on the road. Although the motor seems to drive all the way up around 40-45kph when the setting is at default of 72kph (way too fast for a 20inch wheel bike - I would thinko_O).
45 km/h is the speed you get with a 328 rpm Q100 in a 26" wheel. It's not possible to spin that fast in a 20" with a 36v battery. There must be something wrong with your wheel size setting unless you recorded that before setting the wheel size.

The blue wire loop is for cruise control. Do not connect it. It's for stupid guys that don't fit a pedal sensor, and it can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Finally, the photo's.
Torque bracket finally arrived and fitted, road test complete. Had to fit the torque bracket on the gear side, just wouldn't go on the other. However the kick stand is mounted over the axle and acts as a second bracket, not a very substantial one, but it's there.
Despite setting the maximum speed at 25kph, the motor is giving a road speed of 17-18mph on pas5, and around 20mph on the throttle. Using a handful of throttle and pedaling to take of it is far too easy to lift the front wheel on this short wheelbase bike, bit scary.
Motor is pretty much silent and it's not easy to tell when it cuts out.
My neighbour is well chuffed .

DSCF3199.JPG
Used spiral wrap to keep cables tidy.

DSCF3200.JPG
Handlebars have stayed nice and tidy.
I am not responsible for the mohican!

DSCF3201.JPG
Torque bracket just wouldn't fit any other way - believe me I tried.

DSCF3202.JPG
Kick stand was part of the reason I couldn't get the bracket here.
Yet to see how effective the spiral wrap is over time.
DSCF3203.JPG
The hidden wire brake switch is really neat and works well (make sure the cable is facing away from the brake). I manged to get the controller in the front of the battery mount, hence all the cables going there.
The key is a lock only, not a switch.
Had to grind the peddle boss, by about 3mm, to fit pas disc ( aluminium doesn't grind very nicely does it - clogs up the disc?). It's a bit of a dogs dinner 'cos I couldn't get it square, so has a bit of a wobble. But it works smoothly.
The only cable I had to extend was the throttle, easy 3 wire cut in, hidden under the frame and heat shrunk.
Pleasing job to do, got his wife's to do next - maybe after Easter.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I like how you hid the controller inside the battery!

It took me three years to discover what could be done with spiral wrap. I use to throw it away, Then I became a devotee, Bought 30 feet of it for like two dollars.

Cut the PAS Disk next time? I do.

Yes. Wheelies. Not so much on mine unless I have 48V battery, but it will lift the wheel on 36V ascending a steep hill with hard pedaling and motor assist. That can be scary.

One thing is missing. A good bell!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just wanted to follow up on this one.
I did the second bike, road tested it and all was fine. Went to charge the battery and there was a splash spark when I plugged the charger in, thought nothing of it as I thought it was just capacitors charging. But then noticed that there was no light on the charger. Checked mains etc. but no joy. Went and got the first charger of my neighbour, knowing that it worked. Plugged it in, again big splash and charger stopped working. Oh dear:(
So my neighbour contacted Yosepower. They sent him a new charger straight away - think it took two days to arrive. For battery replacement they said best way was to buy a new one and they would refund on return of the old one. New battery was delivered within 3 days of contact (c/w charger) and old one refunded. No sweat, no hassle.
So a big thumbs up for Yosepower customer service - well recommended:). The only reason we didn't use them for the whole kit was that BMSB had the configuration we were after.

My neighbour is well chuffed. His wife, a kidney transplant patient, is especially well chuffed. Did 18 miles yesterday for the first time in her life with no fears of the sudden energy drop she gets. Big up for electric bikes this is what they were made for.:cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Did you check polarity of battery or charger at all ?
It's not uncommon to hear of incorrect wiring on items or even a loose wire shorting.
The above shouldn't be necessary and most take it for granted with kits but always worth double checking before trying to connect.

P.s
By the way a nice tidy build.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Always switch the charger on before connecting to the battery. The spark most likely blew the fuse in the charger, which is an easy fix.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Didn't check the polarity, but guessing that battery charge input polarity was the problem.
The chargers were Sans and had no external fuse. When the second blew we did ease out the rubber feet and take the lid of, I couldn't see any fuse. This I found very surprising as they came with the euro two pin plug on them, so no fuse there either. As an electrician some euro standards do seem a bit lacking to me.
Anyway all's fine with the new chargers and battery.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The fuse is in the plug that goes in the wall socket. No lights came on, so the break is on the mains side.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
I thought it was the hinge, but glad to know that I'm wrong. Is it the weld where the downtube meets the head tube, given that most folders have no top tube.
Sorry if I'm butting in, you're right, main tube to head tube join area is where they go. "End of Life metal fatigue" according to Brompton. That's why folder frames now have bracing fillets welded in there. Cheers. Mikel20170730_192549-1-1.jpg

Attachments

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Apologies from myself as well, I was the one who mentioned the frame weld cracks earlier in the thread.

Looking at your picture, as you say that seems to be fatigue of the metal itself rather than the welds giving way.
Again as you've mentioned these days decent folders have more bracing and internal abutments to give extra strength to the weld.
The problem is the cheaper low end bikes have no such added bracing, and personally I wouldn't have much faith in their longevity. There was a thread on another cycle forum about the subject of broken frames which ran for months, it even had the manufactures themselves joining in trying to give reassurance on their particular machines.
It was as a result of that and other media attention that forced the hand of bike makers to sort the problem out, well at least to a certain extent anyway.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Final followup. Bikes are working well and neighbours are well chuffed.
He finally sent the duff battery back at a cost of £54, which Yose refunded immeadiately with no quibble. So again, a big up for Yose customer service.