Advice for a true 'Gentlemans' e-bike...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It may be worth trying the Wisper 905 and 705 Torque. The 705 is a very comfortable Dutch style bike with an oversized down tube which makes the frame very strong and perfect for both ladies and gentlemen. The 905 is the crossbar version. They both run practically identical equipment with Hydraulic disc brakes etc. Although they are hub driven, they will easily out perform the Bosch Active and Active Plus motored bikes. They have derailleur gears but these will last much longer than most hub versions if driven by a centre motor. The sensors are excellent and the motor is very quiet and sophisticated. For just under £2,000 each you can buy these bikes with 700Wh batteries. Worth a try.

If you go for a hub geared bike the Nuvinci and ebike specific hub gears should be considered as a centre motor puts a lot of strain on standard hub gears. Sunrace do a great 5 speed that's bomb proof! It's been specifically built for the power a centre motor produces.

All the best David

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dwvl

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I currently have an old black, 3-gear bike with dutch handlebars called Gordon whom I love dearly, but in truth I really want the fun of the turbo mode!!!
Hi Gordon,

How about converting your bike with the TSDZ2 kit?

It has a torque sensor, rides very much like the bikes you have tried and costs a fraction of the cost of brand new bikes.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit#tsdz2

It's easy to do, if you can take the bottom bracket out, then you can do the conversion. If not, I can probably find a local bike shop to fit it for you.

Reactions: jeff St.Clair

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The performance produces 63nm torque while Plus is 50nm. You aren't likely to find many bikes with performance and 8spd hub like nexus or alfine as they are rated for 50nm. When performance is used with these hubs its detuned.

The Plus with right gearing will climb most hills comfortably just a bit slower than performance. Its like comparing 1500 motor to 1800, while activeline is 1300 equivalent.
Hi , I have a bbs02 and a alfine 8 pairing

It produses up to 80nm but I was worried about trashing my alfine. There is a thread about it which I'll try to find. Conclusion seemed to be it was well within operating parameters using a 42t front ring and 16t sprocket

Ch errs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi , I have a bbs02 and a alfine 8 pairing

It produses up to 80nm but I was worried about trashing my alfine. There is a thread about it which I'll try to find. Conclusion seemed to be it was well within operating parameters using a 42t front ring and 16t sprocket

Ch errs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As with most things they are over engineered, 50nm is recommend max with 2:1 ratio eg 40T chainring and 20 sprocket. At 42t /16t you are safe, but 80nm is still pushing it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A fit club cyclist could put more torque through a gear hub than the likes of us with our relatively weedy fitness and relatively weedy 250w nominal motors.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Good point Rob, but with most motors topping out at 600W plus the rider's input Shimano and Suntour have realised that their hubs were simply not up to the task. Sunrace have already launched their Heavy Duty 5 speed (which is more expensive than their 8 speed) and I understand that Shimano may have the 5-NEXUS available to us.

We are launching three new 48V, in frame battery, centre motor bikes in the new year each developing over 110Nm. Shimano were not happy putting such power through their current hub systems so we or going for the new 5 speed from Sunrace RX-RK5.(Sturmey Archer) or the 5-NEXUS.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/rx-rk5

Fit cyclists would more than likely use a derailleur system or in town the incredible Rholloff.

All the best, David

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dewey and flecc

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Good point Rob, but with most motors topping out at 600W plus the rider's input Shimano and Suntour have realised that their hubs were simply not up to the task. Sunrace have already launched their Heavy Duty 5 speed (which is more expensive than their 8 speed) and I understand that Shimano may have the 5-NEXUS available to us.

We are launching three new 48V, in frame battery, centre motor bikes in the new year each developing over 110Nm. Shimano were not happy putting such power through their current hub systems so we or going for the new 5 speed from Sunrace RX-RK5.(Sturmey Archer) or the 5-NEXUS.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/rx-rk5

Fit cyclists would more than likely use a derailleur system or in town the incredible Rholloff.

All the best, David
Why not offer a Roholf option ?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Good idea but at a grand I’m not sure we would sell many. I’ll look into it.

All the best, David
Will you be offering a designed and built to order product or just set models Pre produced and shipped to dealers? If the former then I can’t see it as a problem. The latter may be a cash flow issue. Still, I do find the idea exciting as I’ve currently narrowed my next bike for myself and Mrs C to R&M Nevos. Hers with 26” wheels and the auto gears. Mine is open to final choice.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The R and M Nevos are great bikes, ours will be quite a lot more powerful though and sport 27.5" wheels, I can't see the standard price being much beyond £2,000.00.

Our new bikes are being built in Taiwan now and will come in ready built with the Sturmey Archer 5 speed, however we will offer upgrades. Since your last post I have been in touch with Rohloff and hope to open an account.

I will let you know as soon as I have news.

All the best, David

Reactions: flecc and Crockers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Crockers, thanks for your advice. I have now heard from Rohloff and have opened an OEM account. They have sent me the engineering drawings for frame requirements and we will be offering a Rohloff 11 Speed Hub option.

All the best, David

Reactions: Crockers and flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Crockers, thanks for your advice. I have now heard from Rohloff and have opened an OEM account. They have sent me the engineering drawings for frame requirements and we will be offering a Rohloff 11 Speed Hub option.

All the best, David
Are you keeping the other three speeds for yourself?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We like them so much we are collecting them in our warehouse Rob!

446092A1-34FA-4858-AF97-A847B93BB0E2.jpeg
Are you keeping the other three speeds for yourself?
Our new Wisper Wayfarer frame, the final prototype!

Will be test riding tomorrow, if I can find some wheels! :D

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
F45CC411-56CD-420B-A652-CE987EAC6BCC.jpeg

Bit of a sneak peek. A few adjustments to the frame, a new rack, a change of forks and a paint job and we’ll be ready to go into production,

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers