Advice for BPM2 500w Motor Needed

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Hello, everyone, just after some advice for a motor I have just got.
I have been running a cyclotricity 250Wkit for the past year which has been great, but I have now converted my bike back to human powered as I want to electrify my cargo bike.
I have a BPM 500w rear motor (I think its a 201rpm) which I intend to use for this purpose due to the heavy weight nature of the bike not to mention my weight plus child.
My questions are....
My current battery is this 36v/10ah pannier battery
http://cyclotricity.com/products-page/
Am I right in thinking this will struggle to provide suitable power ?
If so what battery should I get to fit on my Yuba Mundo.
I am also thinking if this is the case am I better just selling my existing kit and buying everything from scratch as I will also need a new controller anyway to provide suitable curret for this large motor.
What kit should I buy eg, a shopping list. controller to go with the BPM, torque arms, throttle, display, PAS sensor etc.
Can I buy suitable kit in the UK ? Where from.
Cheers in advance.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hello, everyone, just after some advice for a motor I have just got.
I have been running a cyclotricity 250Wkit for the past year which has been great, but I have now converted my bike back to human powered as I want to electrify my cargo bike.
I have a BPM 500w rear motor (I think its a 201rpm) which I intend to use for this purpose due to the heavy weight nature of the bike not to mention my weight plus child.
My questions are....
My current battery is this 36v/10ah pannier battery
http://cyclotricity.com/products-page/
Am I right in thinking this will struggle to provide suitable power ?
If so what battery should I get to fit on my Yuba Mundo.
I am also thinking if this is the case am I better just selling my existing kit and buying everything from scratch as I will also need a new controller anyway to provide suitable curret for this large motor.
What kit should I buy eg, a shopping list. controller to go with the BPM, torque arms, throttle, display, PAS sensor etc.
Can I buy suitable kit in the UK ? Where from.
Cheers in advance.
for what its worth, i have a friend who built a 500W BPM in a 20 wheel bicycly (i think the 340RPM one but may be wrong) - anyway, he bought it from BMS battery for something like £200 with an S12SH controller and 12S lipos (44V) sourced rather cheaply i think from hobbyking. I'm somewhere between very engvious of it and about to do teh same because it's cheap (all up i think £300ish) and it really, really goes - up to around 20MPH pedalling feels entirely optional regardless of terrain

D

Deleted member 4366

The 500w 48v BPM 260rpm motor in a 26" wheel with a S12S controller and a 48v battery will drag you up any hill and waft you along at speeds up to 24 mph. It'll make you very lazy if you're not careful.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Lazy is OK. I have a road bike for punishing myself. The cargo bike weighs in at around 32KG unladen so I will need plenty of power with the hills we have and 2 of us onboard. I only tend to do shorter journeys and use the motor for hills. I figure Im better off buying a new battery, controller and parts and selling my old kit complete.

My motor is a rear driven 36v BPM2 with a code 12 (260rpm?) on a 26" wheel bike currently with a screw on rear freewheel.
Heres my shopping list...
Throttle
Controller
Battery (High C Rate 15AH)
PAS (not sure about this one)
Brake sensor for back brake
Torque Arms (Not sure if Im better off getting some quality ones from ezee or other)
LCD Display

Will most of these parts be plug&play ?

Can someone let me know if any of these products don't seem right or if I've missed anything.
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/548-s-lcd1-e-bike-lcd-meter-ebike-kit.html#/voltage-36v_48v
This totals £280 including shipping on the site. Am I likely to have to pay anymore when I complete the transaction for extra shipping or anything?
Anyone have an approximation for duty ?

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Ive realised I have no charger with that battery. maybe better with this ?
Battery

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
IMHO i'd go with a S12SH rather than S12S because it gives 35A (around 1550W) at 36V
apologies, that's at 12S(44V), but i'd be more inclined to go with 12sh at 36V given that one might need the extra amps more in a cargo carrying role

D

Deleted member 4366

The S12S s plenty enough at 48v. You need a wheel speed sensor as well. Get the new easy fit pedal sensor as well as the 12 magnet conventional one. They're not expensive, and it gives a better chance of getting one that fits. Get a spoke key as well because you'll need it.

You'll have to pay about £40 duty.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
My motor is 36v and a code 12, are you saying run it at 48v ?
What do you think about the battery I have chosen ?

D

Deleted member 4366

A code 14 does 24 mph at 48v, so yours mught be a bit fast at about 28mph. If you have steep hills 36v will probably be better.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
OK I planned to run it at 36v anyway, but which battery ? Im not bothered about a massive range, but I would like to get everything in one order.

D

Deleted member 4366

I used the 20Ah 36v shrink tube battery, which can give 30A dispite what it says in the listing. You can only really fit it on a rack unless you're good at DIY. The smaller high discharge one would be OK too.

You could try the 15ah downtube battery with the integrated 20A controller, which will give a very tidy installation, but slightly less climbing power.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Many thanks for the replys.
I will try and keep you updated with progress on the bike.