Advice for cycling glasses (polarized photochromic)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hello !

Today, I cycled on dark country lanes + semi-lit traffic roads, and wish I had my glasses not only because of the flying nocturnal insects, but also to help distinguishing road asperities (i.e. potholes, manhole grids) and surrounding dangers (overhang branches, running deers, etc.). I hear that polarized glass actually works.

Having just broken my cheap plastic sun shades, I am considering investing in glasses that fit the bill during sunny days, and at night too. So, anyone to recommend me a product that fulfills the following criteria ?

* unbreakable frame (well...flexible and virtually indestructible is good enough :p )

* polarized glass (to avoid night-time reflections of car headlights on wet roads)

* photochromic (to adapt between bright-dark transitions)

* under 50 GBP (ok, I might be a tad optimistic with this one ! :D )

Thank you very much.
Cheers, Dan

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Good question daniel. I take mine off at night but I'd prefer a good pair I could leave on - especially when it gets very cold and windy. Also protects the eyes from stones and grit. Don't know the answer but interested to see if there's any replys.

Sir_Bob

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2009
tat

I found some raybands aviator on a stone wall and used them for over 10 years. they are the best pilots glass that can see even in the dark.

thx

bob

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
additional thoughts:

* owning 2 dedicated pairs of glasses could be cheaper and more reliable than one jack-of-all-trades wanabe (one for daylight => photochromic, another for night riding => polarized) ... although polarized glass can be useful in exceptionally bright days too (low-rising shiny metal glare, etc.) ...

* at night, water drops on the glass can blind when facing strong vehicle headlights => must wear visor !

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Nice but not cheap as you say unless you can find a pair on a stone wall :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We're going to add some eyewear to our range, including these polarised SX-20s

RRP is £59.99 but I think we could do them for a little less if you want to drop us a line at 50cycles@50cycles.com

SX-20 Polarized. Great shaped eyewear with a flexible fit to suit all head shapes. Excellent eye protection is offered by the interchangable lenses. Suitable for all weather and riding conditions. Polarized lenses use high quality polarized film made in the USA for true colour, object definition and glare reduction.​

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009