Advice needed on 750w bafang bbs02b please

eBiken00b

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2019
Hi everyone, may I start off by thanking this community for their vast knowledge of pedelecs and associated topics. This website has been amazing whilst deciding to choose what kit I want. I've decided to go with the bafang bbs02b for a trip to Spain. I'll be using the bike for touring; commuting and travelling around looking for land. I need something that's going to easily take me and all my bags uphill at any given moment with ease. I'll be accompanying the motor with two batteries. The first will be a 48v 17.5ah and then I'll purchase a second battery once I've nearly completed the build.

I have three questions:

Is there any reputable UK reseller with stock available for next day delivery that doesn't charge me a fortune?

For those who have completed bafang bbs02b builds, what were the easiest bikes to fit the kit on? i.e. No complications with bottom bracket.

And finally, who are the most reputable UK suppliers of Samsung cell batteries? I need one fast. Can't wait for Chinese imports. Wanting 48v 17.5ah / 20ah or 21ah. To collect from the UK or get next day special delivery.

My budget for a bike is going to be around £300-£500. So far, I like the look of the Cube Aim Pro 29er 27.5, so would like any suggestions from anyone who's fitted these kits on this bike.

Sadly, I can't afford much more than that for now. My total first build budget is £1200-£1300. I will add extras later like a second battery.

I'm thinking £360 for the kit from MAF Scooters in Rawtenstall. £429 for the bike from Tredz. And about £400-£500 on a battery. Maybe a lekkie bling ring if needed.

Any help / advice would be hugely appreciated.

Kudos to the esteemed pedelecers / admins / mods / n00bs all contributing their bit.

I'd be contemplating boring trains and car pooling if it wasn't for you amazing people sharing your experiences and skillsets.

This way I get to adventure :-D

Thank you

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Any normal bike that isn't the latest state of the art MTB or road bike will probably have the correct 68mm BB. There are too many different bikes to say any more on that.

There's no point in buying a new bike as a donor because it's more likely to have the wrong type of BB and there is absolutely no advantage and you'll invalidate any warranty. You can get virtually unused second hand bikes for less than half the price of a new one. I've never had any problems with the very many used bikes that I've converted, and never had to replace any components, apart from one that I rescued from a skip.

Look for a bike with a triangle frame and hydraulic disc brakes. Even cable disc brake bikes are OK because it'only a 10 minute job and about £40 to upgrade them to hydraulic.

eBiken00b

Jul 5, 2019
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. So shall I look for anything pre-2012? I can't afford to make any mistakes in the purchase of a bike. It's so hard to be able to pre-determine whether a bike has the appropriate threaded JIS and BSA style bottom 68mm bracket shell without seeing it tangibly together with some calipers or a tape measure.

How are people converting all these new bikes from H@lf0***?!? Is it just hit and miss for the bb? Are there any known models that people use often? I think I need to head down to the bike shop and hunt on eBay/gumtree.... Makes sense to get a £800+ RRP bike for (less than) half the price if it's hardly been used...

Will definitely be looking for a triangle frame and hydraulic disc brakes.

Do you know anyone in the UK for decent Samsung cell batteries?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It's not normally too difficult to identify a suitable BB, google for the spec of any bike you find, you can normally find the info even if it's an older model. The Carrera and Voodoo bikes that Halfrauds sell all have suitable BB I believe, which is why they are popular. More expensive, higher spec bikes tend to have the press fit BB, which you will need to machine adapters for to fit a BBS. Don't limit your battery search to Samsung cells, Sanyo GA's, LG MJ1's are also good solid cells worth considering. The BBS02 also runs very nicely on 52v, 14s packs without any problem.

Last edited:

eBiken00b

Jul 5, 2019
Thank you wheeliepete!!! Going to spend the next few days researching various bikes and batteries :-D

Do you know of any reputable UK sellers?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can tell just by looking at it. A PF BB is noticeably bigger. One other thing that's not so easy to spot is the width between 68mm and 73mm normal BBs. They both work with the BBS02, but 68mm is better.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I build my own packs, so can't personally recommend a seller, but this guy has a good reputation on here for re-celling battery packs.
Also at least one person on here has bought a pack from these;
This guy has recently started selling stuff, he has a youtube channel and has been building bikes for a while, but can't comment on quality of build, although he seems to know his stuff. I would check with him first that he has UK stock and is not shipping direct from China, as you will prob. get hit with custom charges etc. if he is.

Reactions: eBiken00b

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have used MAF before [3 times for motors ]service was very good order from website[ not via ebay as price higher] £382.00 is good for a uk price

eBiken00b

Jul 5, 2019
Definitely. They're out or stock of the 750 until next week. But will probably be ordering from them.

Do you know any decent 48/52v UK battery suppliers?

Also, is anyone familiar with the Feimin FP-B908N BB-set? I'm trying to find out if it's 68mm as it's on a few Scott bikes I like.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Not had a lot of luck with custom packs had one built in Germany and it was to big by 1mm:mad: have used insat jimmy great work but not cheap :)now have template of battery packs and take it and tape measure before I buy the donor bike get funny looks when you go to a bike shop with a cardboard cut out latest fs build

Attachments

eBiken00b

Jul 5, 2019
Vfr400, I've found a Scott bike on gumtree but not sure if it's 68mm. It's a Feimin FP.B908N bottom bracket set in there. Can't find much info about it online.

Thanks for the help peter.c, the cardboard idea is perfect!

I think I need to invest in some calipers.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That BB looks to be a standard threaded 68mm one, but prob. best to check if/when you go and look at the bike.