Advice needed please

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A ready made hub-motor wheel will have a different rim, so if looks are important then you'll have to fit a crank motor. Normally, the type of motor you fit depends on how and where you ride and what you want your bike for. You haven't told us anything about that.

Why/how did you choose that motor? You know it's illegal? Same as above, without knowing what you're aiming at and why, it's impossible to give advice. All notors and systems work, but there are lots of differences in the wat they work and what effect that has.

bulldogboab

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2021
A ready made hub-motor wheel will have a different rim, so if looks are important then you'll have to fit a crank motor. Normally, the type of motor you fit depends on how and where you ride and what you want your bike for. You haven't told us anything about that.

Why/how did you choose that motor? You know it's illegal? Same as above, without knowing what you're aiming at and why, it's impossible to give advice. All notors and systems work, but there are lots of differences in the wat they work and what effect that has.
Yeah sorry mate my bad lol, I’m looking to fit a system to my bike ( legal ) it’s basically for leisurely rides some light rough terrain with some hills added, but I just don’t know where to start looking tbh? maybe yourself or one of the boys from whoosh could kindly recommend something as I’m totally new to all this again thanks for the reply’s. John. Edit this the bike in question.

Attachments

bulldogboab

Jul 15, 2021
We need weight, distance, fitness, tech ability, preferences, etc before we can advise.
Oh yeah of course, 16 stones , looking for something in the 40 to 50 miles range, 55 yo average fitness, tech ability not great nephew quite handy so could call on him for assistance lol, preferences casual rides , bit of off road some hills involved and ba able to tow my girl in a stroller on some occasions hope that helps. John.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
forget a hub motor for off road stuff the spokes will come loose in no time so get the mid drive 750w and the biggest batt you can fit in that triangle.

if you get the programming cable you can up the power for more speed but it will eat in to the range the faster you go.

Reactions: bulldogboab

bulldogboab

Jul 15, 2021
forget a hub motor for off road stuff the spokes will come loose in no time so get the mid drive 750w and the biggest batt you can fit in that triangle.

if you get the programming cable you can up the power for more speed but it will eat in to the range the faster you go.
By bigger battery do you mean something like a 17.5AH sorry if I’m sounding clueless here bud but I’m totally new to all this.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah you want something over 15ah esp if you want to up the power that thing can hit 40mph

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For serious off road a mid-drive is best, but not necessary for light off-road. 16 st is quite heavy, so you certainly need to keep an eye on rear wheel spokes anyway, and especially for rear wheel hub or significant off-road. Mid drive will get through chains and sprockets much faster.

If you want to keep legal you need a motor that is nominally 250w (or less). It should still be able to help you up hills, and beefier ones generate up to 750w peak. Max legal assist speed is 15.5 mph.

What matters on battery capacity is Wh (watt hours) which is ah (amp hours) * volts. So if you have a 48v system you need less ah in the battery for the same capacity. A 500wh battery should be able to do 50 miles, but depends how you ride. 600wh would be safer. If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ you will get a good idea of how far you can go depending on battery size, your weight and riding style, and different road conditions. You can find differences of more than a factor of three (100 miles or 30 miles) for the same battery depending on those details.

15ah Soundwave suggested is 540wh at 36v, or 720wh at 48v.

bulldogboab

Jul 15, 2021
For serious off road a mid-drive is best, but not necessary for light off-road. 16 st is quite heavy, so you certainly need to keep an eye on rear wheel spokes anyway, and especially for rear wheel hub or significant off-road. Mid drive will get through chains and sprockets much faster.

If you want to keep legal you need a motor that is nominally 250w (or less). It should still be able to help you up hills, and beefier ones generate up to 750w peak. Max legal assist speed is 15.5 mph.

What matters on battery capacity is Wh (watt hours) which is ah (amp hours) * volts. So if you have a 48v system you need less ah in the battery for the same capacity. A 500wh battery should be able to do 50 miles, but depends how you ride. 600wh would be safer. If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ you will get a good idea of how far you can go depending on battery size, your weight and riding style, and different road conditions. You can find differences of more than a factor of three (100 miles or 30 miles) for the same battery depending on those details.

15ah Soundwave suggested is 540wh at 36v, or 720wh at 48v.
Very helpful feedback mate that’s greatly appreciated,kudos .

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I estimate that you'll need using around 15 wh per mile when you start, so 40 miles requires 600wh, which is around 15 Ah at 36v and 12 Ah at 48v.

Reactions: bulldogboab