Advice needed!

Miles1

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2016
Hi everyone!

Just want some advice really about using a 350watt bike on the roads... There are no stickers or tags on it but don't want to get into trouble!! Not really sure how anyone would know it's above the 250watt legal limit?
Any advice or comments would be really appreciated
Thanks!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A legal bike should be marked 250w ce etc. So no marking implies??
But unless you act stupid or are involved in an incident very few people care about unlicensed electric mopeds

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

If the motor had a professional looking label on it with the following information:
EPAC standard according to EN15194 (EAPC probably acceptable)
Motor manufacturer's name
Maximum power 250W
Voltage 36v (24v, 44v and 48v allowed)
Maximum speed 25 km/h

It would be difficult to see how you could get into any trouble. Obviously, the maximum speed has to be 25km/h because that's fairly easy to check.

Miles1

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2016
If the motor had a professional looking label on it with the following information:
EPAC standard according to EN15194 (EAPC probably acceptable)
Motor manufacturer's name
Maximum power 250W
Voltage 36v (24v, 44v and 48v allowed)
Maximum speed 25 km/h

It would be difficult to see how you could get into any trouble. Obviously, the maximum speed has to be 25km/h because that's fairly easy to check.
Thanks for the advice, I actually bought a sticker of eBay but feel very dishonest putting it on my bike! I ride very sensibly and mostly only use the assist uphill...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's very nice looking though

Reactions: Miles1

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I actually bought a sticker of eBay but feel very dishonest putting it on my bike!
You've no cause to feel dishonest when virtually all the legal e-bikes are under declared. They are commonly capable of much more than 250 watts continuous and often more than the 350 rating of your motor.

You're just following common practice. Just don't say that to a police officer!