Advice on a DIY conversion please..

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
So I'm now the proud owner of a Giant Expression, collected last Thurs and have been using it on my commute this week.
Even after such a short time riding it I know I've made the right choice and after tweaking the setup over the past couple of days its a very comfortable bike to ride and ripe for conversion..!
Next step is to choose a kit, which I've decided will be a rear hub motor and rack mounted battery.
The bike feels front-heavy at the moment so hopefully will take the weight at the back ok. It also has a 7-speed cassette which presumably will adapt to a 7-speed freewheel easily enough.
Another reason for the rear hub is so I can go for a BPM motor, hopefully without the need for torque arms.
Costwise its likely to be a BMS kit with a Ping battery in a top mount rear bag, although from a support/warranty point of view I appreciate a uk sourced kit is the safer option.
The Ezee kits look good and John pointed out their kit can be de-restricted to give 350W, but does that give the same amount of power and torque that the 350W BPM produces or does it depend on the controller/battery combo..?
Also I couldnt find a rear 36V350W BPM kit on the BMS site, only a Q100 36V350W kit...would this give the same performance..or can somebody point me in the right direction for the BPM 350W kit..?
I notice BMS sell a rear 48V350W BPM, but not being too savvy in elec-trickery does this give even more power/torque or what would be the benefits or problems with going for a 48v kit..?
Sorry to be asking loads of questions again but need to get my head round this before splashing the cash..!

D

Deleted member 4366

The Ezee motor isn't a lot different to a BPM. It's probably better quality. The Americans ride round on them at 20mph, so the power must be about the same. I don't know what the Ezee controller gives, but I think I heard 20 amps somewhere. If that's not enough, you can always buy a new controller, although you'll lose all the nice Ezee connections. However, you might need a new battery if you want to go further than 20amps and even that's probably pushing it. You might find it OK in derestricted mode
This is the rear BPM kit. The motor is the same power as a front one. It's the controller that's different. You get the 9FET one with the 350w kit and the 12FET one with the 500w kit. I prefer the 9FET controller because it's smaller and lighter, but I solder the shunt until I get 25amps - ebiking nirvana!
Bafang BPM 36V500W Rear Driving Bike Conversion Kit - BMSBATTERY

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi you will find that the ezee kit is will be the best in your budget

It works

It has very good support from John

It is in stock ( no waiting 6 weeks )

No 25% vat and duty Bill

And Maybe his Discount is still available

You will not find any BAD reports on the forum about Ezee kits

Frank

C

Cyclezee

I don't know what the Ezee controller gives, but I think I heard 20 amps somewhere. If that's not enough, you can always buy a new controller, although you'll lose all the nice Ezee connections. However, you might need a new battery if you want to go further than 20amps and even that's probably pushing it. You might find it OK in derestricted mode
Hi Dave,
You are correct the eZee controllers are 20 amp.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Quick update to confirm that I've been speaking to John and reading more on the eZee kits and have finally pushed the button and ordered a front wheel kit from him today, to be delivered Monday.

Despite John's sale it was still over what I had originally planned to spend but for the quality and UK support/warranty it's worth pushing the boat out. I see from other threads on here that its a common trend for most people's budgets to go by the wayside once on a project..!

I was umming and arring whether to spec the 14ah battery but went for the standard 10ah as my commute is only 10 miles round trip without steep hills and for weekend trips my wife's Juicy classic has a 10ah battery as well so probably best we both have a similar range.

I'm tempted to take some time off next week to fit and test it as better done in daylight, but just glad to have finally decided on a kit and made a purchase.

Further updates with photos to follow...

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
So I took yesterday off and once John's eZee kit turned up in the afternoon, after checking all the contents survived shipping ok I got started on it.
The main issue was where to fix the controller, as the space between the seatpost and back of the rack was a bit tight. Anyway to cut a long hair-pulling story short, I took the Giant rack off (well it was too big..sorry.!) and swapped it for the Topeak Tourist rack from my Scott Aspect, as it had a shorter top and better stays to mount the controller to.
After a bit of faffing the rack and controller look neat now and thankfully the wheel just fitted into the dropouts without adjustment. The torque arm also fitted well using the mudguard mounting. I connected up and tested the motor ok but time was getting on so I still have to run the cables properly.
One thing I did notice after some motor spin tests is that the wheel looks to be quite a bit out of true, rubbing on one side of the v brake blocks quite badly. I reseated the wheel to make sure it was placed correctly in the dropouts but all was fine there and after some brake adjustment the rubbing's not as bad but I think the wheel definitely needs to be trued. Its something I don't have the tools for and have never tried before so John has agreed to pay for my LBS to check and adjust for me.
So later I just have to install the throttle and battery led on the bars, run and tidy the cables and at a later date, once my mate lends me the tools, fit the pedelec sensor.
Photos of my work in progress..

Ezee Bike Conversion pictures by PhilYerBoots_photos - Photobucket