Advice on Cheap Option

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Sellers mark items up at crazy prices sometimes when they run out of stock but want to keep the item online.
If you contact them they'll tell you when stock is available again.

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
I've bought - but haven't yet received a gtech escent (you mentioned gtech in your first post).
They're currently £1,000 on halfords (down from the alleged RRP of £1,900).
But you can currently use the CYCLING15 code to get £150 off, plus another 10% off if you're a British Cycling member (which is cheap to join/free if you're a HSBC customer).

Anyhow, I ended up getting the gtech escent for £765 which seems like a decent price. Range was not a factor for me as I basically just want it for a commute which is 5 miles round trip. My only motivation for getting an e-bike is to arrive at work ahead of traffic and sweat-free.

I'm collecting the bike this weekend, so I have no idea what it's like yet - it's my first one so fingers crossed!

Reactions: FrodoBaggins

FrodoBaggins

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
I was so close to buying that Gtech Escent too. I like how the batteries look like water bottles.
Maybe its my own inhibitions but I hate bikes that look like ebikes, I feel myself being judged especially because I look fit enough to ride a normal bike.
Thats why the Gtechs get my vote!

I have taken a new plan of attack, I have brought a broken ebike off Ebay, I am going to use this to fix up and learn more about them, no filing forks, I can just play with motors, batteries, shifters and watch a load of YouTube videos.

I plan to put the battery on the rear rack and hide it with panniers! :)
I think my ego can handle that!

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
I was so close to buying that Gtech Escent too. I like how the batteries look like water bottles.
Maybe its my own inhibitions but I hate bikes that look like ebikes, I feel myself being judged especially because I look fit enough to ride a normal bike.
Thats why the Gtechs get my vote!

I have taken a new plan of attack, I have brought a broken ebike off Ebay, I am going to use this to fix up and learn more about them, no filing forks, I can just play with motors, batteries, shifters and watch a load of YouTube videos.

I plan to put the battery on the rear rack and hide it with panniers! :)
I think my ego can handle that!
Great plan! Good luck to you Sir!

FrodoBaggins

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
I would say for £765 to get a brand new bike like that with warranty etc, is an absolute bargain!
You can always buy a second battery at a later date but it will do 5 miles easy and you could easily charge it at work.
I think a 3-8 mile commute is perfect for an ebike but like is said on here frequently, you buy it for your own needs, what is good for one person is not for an another etc etc.

Reactions: lutin

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
The Gtech Ascent is a nice bike, just let down by rubbish range.
I totally get that, and for £765 I guess it has to have some compromises. For my use case (5 or 6 mile round trip) it'll do the job. And who knows, maybe this will be the start of an e-bike addiction for me!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I totally get that, and for £765 I guess it has to have some compromises. For my use case (5 or 6 mile round trip) it'll do the job. And who knows, maybe this will be the start of an e-bike addiction for me!
I think a second battery is around £400, which makes £1165 for the bike with an additional battery, which will give you about 10Ah. That's a good price considering that it has high quality components and hydraulic brakes. 10Ah is still a bit low by modern standards, but has the advantage of light weight when you don't want/need to ride too far.

I just bought another one of these for £150. It wouldn't take much to splice one in to the Gtech wiring:

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
I think a second battery is around £400, which makes £1165 for the bike with an additional battery, which will give you about 10Ah. That's a good price considering that it has high quality components and hydraulic brakes. 10Ah is still a bit low by modern standards, but has the advantage of light weight when you don't want/need to ride too far.

I just bought another one of these for £150. It wouldn't take much to splice one in to the Gtech wiring:
The official gtech battery is £300 from Cycle Republic, though I can't see it on their website now (which makes me slightly suspicious). I don't think I'll need a spare, but if I keep the bike a while it would be nice to have a replacement.
Thanks for the link!

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
If you are used to a standard non ebike the Pannier mounted batteries make the bike feel unstable as the centre of gravity is so high. Takes a bit of getting used to!