Advice on Commuter ebike

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi there,

New to the forum and new to e-bikes. I want to commute to work on an bike but obviously I need a bit of advice as it's such a huge purchase. I've been using a normal push bike to go the 12 miles to work and back. Doubtlessly due to my love of beer and kebabs I'm not as fit as I could be at 41. I can do the cycle no problem but I'm covered in sweat at the end of it. My solution has been to cycle to a leisure centre, shower, and then come into work smelling off roses but that puts an extra 20 minutes on my morning commute and I am NOT a morning person.

The bus is expensive and takes an age and of course they often don't come.

So I figured a bike of some sort. The ones I really like the look of don't look like e-bikes. The stromer and the emotion neo cross. But they are very expensive. Anything between £800 and £1600 that could fit the bill. I like the idea of having disc breaks too as I always seem to have a problem with normal ones. And tyres that are puncture resistant as standard.

Any help?
Hi Leonzos, welcome to the forum.

I hope you are still out there trying as many different bicycles as you can.

I think, as you have already identified, the most important aspect for a commuter bicycle is the reliability.

If you don't have the ability to maintain it yourself then having a dealer close by to quickly sort out any problems or carry out regular maintenance is a must.

If you can provide a rough location this would help identify local dealers to you that might be able to provide you with a demo bicycle that you can try.

Like other new members you have stated a few items that you feel you need on the bicycle but it is always best to go in with an open mind. Several members have ended up with completely different bicycles to what they originally thought they wanted after trying a few.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think that the bikes with torque multiplying control systems are better for off-road riding, and the systems that use speed control are better for commuting, touring, shopping and general riding about. When you have a long commute,, you legs do get a it tired. On the torque control bikes, you can't really give your legs a rest, especially on long hills, but the high torque speed control ones like the Kudos Tornado, Woosh Big Bear, and Ezee bikes with the Mk2 motor will drag you up with minimal effort. If you're a competition rider, it's no problem, but most people aren't.

I've no connection whatsoever with Ezee. I've not even ever been in their shop. When I rode the Ezee Torq, it just seemed perfect. If I had bought one as my first bike, i'd probably never have got into building my own. It's only because to me it looks a bit ugly that i never tried one before.

Those that know me know that i always say things as I see them. People have offered to pay me for writing stuff, but I've never taken a penny because i want to remain master of my own opinions. Of course i have my favourites, as everyone does.