Advice on Commuter ebike

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Yes indeed, 29ers are great. My Marin push bike has them. Getting a 29er ebike under the £1600 budget may be a challenge.
I delayed this reply until both bikes were en-ship to us. We have 2 new Kudos bikes due January,early February. Both are 29ers.
Bike 1....is a 29er based upon the Arriba bike,with torque sensor and hydraulic brakes,price £1395.00,named Escape
Bike 2....is a 29er based upon the Tornado bike,with speed sensor and mechanical disc brakes,price £1195.00,named Typhoon
Most people who have viewed the prototypes think they are the best looking bikes Kudos have produced to date.
There is a third bike which couldn't be more different....it is a small step through with 24" wheels,c/w whicker basket,price will be £895.00
Regret I cannot release photos at this time.
Hope this may be useful to some.
KudosDave

Reactions: patpatbut

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I delayed this reply until both bikes were en-ship to us. We have 2 new Kudos bikes due January,early February. Both are 29ers.
Bike 1....is a 29er based upon the Arriba bike,with torque sensor and hydraulic brakes,price £1395.00,named Escape
Bike 2....is a 29er based upon the Tornado bike,with speed sensor and mechanical disc brakes,price £1195.00,named Typhoon
Most people who have viewed the prototypes think they are the best looking bikes Kudos have produced to date.
There is a third bike which couldn't be more different....it is a small step through with 24" wheels,c/w whicker basket,price will be £895.00
KudosDave
That's pretty good spec for the price.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
KudosDave
Hi Dave

Would you consider the 27.5" level?

Pat

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Good morning....if you are still looking for a commuting bike we at Dorset e bike centre have just 4 Spencer Ivy Spencers left to sell..they are current / classic models and if you come down to us we can sell them at way below cost price..RRP is £1795...yours for just £900 complete with usual 2 year warranty from Derby Cycle...

Best regards
Peter

leonzos,
if you are cost conscious, forget the German bikes. Their running cost exceeds 50p a mile.
Also, a big 500WH battery is very useful for the range and to reduce the number of charging cycles.
posting nonsense like this on a public forum, doesn't do anyone any favours, and frankly I hope if we request it, it can be removed.

its dangerously inaccurate and no matter what brand you are talking about is of no help to anyone considering any eBike, because its so far off the mark.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's been a while since we debated running costs of an electric bike. I think the question before was about how much people could save by using one, and in most cases the answer was a negative amount.

If you take the example of a guy buying a £3000 bike, German or otherwise, and doing a fairly substatial 2000 miles in the first year, by which time his bike will have depreciated by about £1000, Trex's 50p a mile doesn't seem so far off. The owner may well need to buy a new battery at £500 at the end of year two. Add that to another £500 depreciation, it's 50p a mile again without having spent anything on servicing, spare parts or charging. Like cars, it's only if you keep your vehicle beyond 3 years that the costs start to come down.

I wonder what is the average annual mileage of the average German ebike owner? My guess would be about 1000.

Would you or anybody else like to propose some alternative costings, or should we start a new thread about it?

D

Deleted member 4366

Germany's a great place. I was born there, and I made all my money there.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
whats with the obsession with Germany?

and 1000 miles a year... thats just 20 miles a week.

Why do you assume that someone who buys their bike from Germany will ride their bike so little?

I agree, anyone who spends £3000 on a bike will be doing a lot more that 20 miles per week.

Anyone who has spent £3000 and is only doing 20 miles per week has got too much money and is not going to care about running costs.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Judging by some of the prices that high-end 2nd hand bikes have been going for over the last few months, I'd say £1000 depreciation in a year is optimistic.

And - We've seen buyers of very expensive bikes claiming tiny mileages when they come to sell them.

Reactions: flecc

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
For me the cost was largely irrelevant. The fact that my commute was cut by an hour and far more pleasant than dealing with public transport made the investment a 'no brainer'. My time and quality of life is worth far more to me personally than the cost of the bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you look at the last four such bikes advertised on our forum, the annual mileages were 33, 200, 112 and 960.. If you calculate the cost per mile, they go up to £8 per mile

Reactions: jackhandy

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The figures seem chosen to get a poor result.
These may not be typical but they show the other side of the argument.
Current conversion rate of my Tonaro to gbp cost would be 650 gbp and not currently but when healthy I used to ride a minimum of 12,000 km (7,458 miles) annually, I suspect the cost per mile will be much better :) oh and the battery will be replaced when needed by a Diy one which from memory was in the ball park of 80 gbp.

C

Cyclezee

posting nonsense like this on a public forum, doesn't do anyone any favours, and frankly I hope if we request it, it can be removed.

its dangerously inaccurate and no matter what brand you are talking about is of no help to anyone considering any eBike, because its so far off the mark.
Why should the post you are refering to be removed
Germany's a great place. I was born there, and I made all my money there.
My daughter was born there and only made kindergeld:( the bike I rode was made in Taiwan:)

Why should the post you are refering to be removed
because its a statement thats been made to look like a fact, when its simply not true, or even remotely true. Its been written by someone with lots of posts on this forum, so anyone reading it might take it to be true.

I know it won't get removed, and to be honest I think the debate is more interesting. But I wanted to make the point that, you can't generalise like that based on a couple of facts plucked out of the air, because not everyone knows enough to argue with it.

and I'm still confused about why German bikes are being singled out, however as I've never ridden a German eBike I can't actually comment on their quality.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cost per mile is irrelevant to me - ebiking is a hobby.

A handful of my journeys would otherwise have been done by car, which gives me a nice warm feeling, but no more than that.

Just as well I'm not bothered because 30/40 miles most weekends won't come to much more than 1,500 miles a year.

Current spend is £2.5K for the Rose, £2K for the Brompton Nano, £500 for a spare battery for the Rose and a few bits and pieces - could be approaching £6K.

I would get a couple of thousand back if I sold the lot, but my cost per mile is still pounds rather than pence a mile.

On t'other hand, this is a commuting thread where cost per mile could be relevant.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
and I'm still confused about why German bikes are being singled out, however as I've never ridden a German eBike I can't actually comment on their quality.
The criterion was High-end Bikes, not necessarily German, but if the 2 designations are constantly claimed as synonymous, as many dealers do on here, you have only yourself to blame.

If you start advocating removal of posts that don't fit your model, you're likely to end-up as popular as another manufacturer some time ago...

What did happen to him, anyway?

P.s. Don't take this to heart - I'm just having a dig: It seems I need to add a disclaimer to avoid bruising fragile egos lately :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
whats with the obsession with Germany?

and 1000 miles a year... thats just 20 miles a week.

Why do you assume that someone who buys their bike from Germany will ride their bike so little?
In fairness 1000 miles a year is commonplace and I know of many who do this and less, even on expensive e-bikes.

It doesn't equate to 20 miles a week due to our climate in the UK. Many don't ride at all in the winter, and as posts in here show, just recharging their battery a few times to keep it in good order.

Then in the "better" months they often only ride in the best weather, so their riding is often concentrated within less than a dozen weeks, those with quite substantial mileages to take advantage of the weather.

Hence the second hand ones so often seen on sale with very low mileages.

I'm one of those fair weather riders myself these days and haven't been on the saddle in several weeks now.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Pence per mile for the same bike can be vastly different for individuals depending upon mileage.

Its my belief that most don't even consider the cost. They buy the bike and ride as little or often as they need or like. Each to their own.

More of a lifesyle choice. I don't look at how much TV costs per hour to watch, do you?

My ebike costs what it costs. I get immense enjoyment from it and there is no need to buy a pipe and slippers.

Reactions: jackhandy