Advice on correct bike size (Cube reaction pro)

Wozer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2023
Hi, my height is 176 cm, I have put a deposit on a new cube reaction pro in medium size, the bike shop thought the size looked right for me, when I tried the bikes for size m, they did not have pedals on! So was hard for me to judge the size properly! I was in a bit of a rush so just went for the medium.
Anyone got one of these bikes to give my an idea on what size they have got?
I am supposed to be collecting the bike on Saturday, so could ask them to change it for the large size.
Sorry, might sound a stupid question, but it’s a lot of money to spend on the wrong bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont it have a dropper post?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont want that thing up ur ass going down hill fast :eek:

if you cant fully extend ur leg when pedaling it can kill ur knees i cant even touch the floor on my bike.

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
Simple solution then.

Make sure its got pedals on and take it for a test ride.
Simple solution then.

Make sure its got pedals on and take it for a test ride.
it was my own cockup not test riding it first ‍♂ feel bad because he has already got the bike in for me! But after doing more research, looks like I should have defo gone for the large frame.

Reactions: Ray Winder

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
after doing more research, looks like I should have defo gone for the large frame.
What makes you say that?
You're only 5ft 9
Medium sounds about right to me in Cube sizing.
What was this 'research' ??

Reactions: Wozer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0078_02.JPG

thats m id not want a large frame even with a dropper post esp for fast off road down hill as even more waight and why dh frames are tiny

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
What makes you say that?
You're only 5ft 9
This is one of my local bike shops and there size guide on here says large straight away and spoke with a couple of mates that are big into there mountain biking and they reckon will be way to small for me.
To be fair it did feel quite good to sit on, was just a shame it didn’t have the pedals on so could try it.
Do you reckon it should be ok? I was just worried about having to put the seat post right up to the limit! As I had a bad accident a few years ago with a seat post snapping! I was also worried about sitting to upright, with it being to small a frame ‍♂

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
What makes you say that?
You're only 5ft 9
I also saw on another website that 5ft 9 was the absolute max size for a medium.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
This is one of my local bike shops and there size guide on here says large straight away and spoke with a couple of mates that are big into there mountain biking and they reckon will be way to small for me.
To be fair it did feel quite good to sit on, was just a shame it didn’t have the pedals on so could try it.
Do you reckon it should be ok? I was just worried about having to put the seat post right up to the limit! As I had a bad accident a few years ago with a seat post snapping! I was also worried about sitting to upright, with it being to small a frame ‍♂

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if its for town and canal paths ect then it wont be a problem as use a carbon seat post atm but a dropper post is a must for off road and down hill.

just on that bike if you wanted one you will need to run the cable inside the frame and can be a right pita.

if it is not right for you then say you you dont want it or 500 quid off buyers market atm :p

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
if its for town and canal paths ect then it wont be a problem as use a carbon seat post atm but a dropper post is a must for off road and down hill.

just on that bike if you wanted one you will need to run the cable inside the frame and can be a right pita.

if it is not right for you then say you you dont want it or 500 quid off buyers market atm :p
I got him down to £2275 with free mudguards and a free insurance approved D lock as well so you reckon the size sounds ok for my height? I do really like the bike and colour as well

i got him down to £2275 with free mudguards and insurance approved D lock as well do you reckon the size will be ok for my height? I really do like the bike and colour, I have attached a link for the one I have gone for.
Also how much are the dropper posts?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Cheers for this mate sounds ok by the looks of this! Just seem to get so many mixed reviews etc on the sizes.
If you were buying a Giant, then you'd probably be an ML. But as most other bike brands don't have this intermediate sizing, then while you might be on the taller end of Medium, I think you'd be much more of the short end of Large!
So at 5 ft 9, I do think its the medium that would be the closest to the right size!
(unless Cube have radically changed their sizing over the last few years!!)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
you dont want that thing up ur ass going down hill fast :eek:

if you cant fully extend ur leg when pedaling it can kill ur knees i cant even touch the floor on my bike.
Thats maybe a bit high. I was shown back in those early days, that the correct height on the saddle was tiptoes when on the ground.

The number of people you see riding with their knees bent when in the down stroke is shocking. Just makes you wonder what the bike shop staff were doing selling folk a bike thats clearly too small.
Knee replacements in their future.

there was a very nice deal in Pauls currently. Yamaha motor of which i know nothing about, but carbon, with fox factory shocks F&R for £3k is a good deal

Last edited: