Advice on correct bike size (Cube reaction pro)

Wozer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2023
Cheers mate collecting it tomorrow! I was just worried about having to have to put the seat up to high. I think would probably be better to be a tad smaller than to big.
Cheers mate collecting it tomorrow! I was just worried about having to have to put the seat up to high. I think would probably be better to be a tad smaller than to big.
This is the one I have gone for

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I would say there is a chance you might gat away with large size, but medium should be the obvious choice. There is no way to tell you that without you trying bike by yourself. Cube size calculator is best option if you can't test bike before buying.
A lot depends also on how confident you are. Beginners like saddle very low, while more advanced riders like saddle high.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My personal choice has always been for a smaller frame than generally suggested; even though I like the saddle high. The one issue I've had with a smaller frame has been getting the bars high enough; bat that's fairly easily solved too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
you get that after 2 years no warranty time for the bin :p
Ahhh, the joys of ebike ownership :D

Best 5 grand I ever spent on anything.

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
I collected the bike last weekend, I rode the bike back from the bike shop and seemed ok! But seat was still a bit low! I have now put it up to the max mark and still not high enough! I must taller than k measured myself at! I rode to work which is about 5 miles each way, and my knees have been sore all week which I have never had in all my years of riding! Don’t suppose I have any rights to change it for the large frame?
It was the bike shop that recommended the medium for me at my height of 177cm, there manager does not allow test rides of the bikes and they did not have pedals on either to check the height properly.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I collected the bike last weekend, I rode the bike back from the bike shop and seemed ok! But seat was still a bit low! I have now put it up to the max mark and still not high enough! I must taller than k measured myself at! I rode to work which is about 5 miles each way, and my knees have been sore all week which I have never had in all my years of riding! Don’t suppose I have any rights to change it for the large frame?
It was the bike shop that recommended the medium for me at my height of 177cm, there manager does not allow test rides of the bikes and they did not have pedals on either to check the height properly.
If the dealer won't exchange the bike, you might have to look at buying a longer seat post, plenty of options. just remove the seat post and measure, I think the Cube ones are 30.9mm diameter, yours might be 350mm in length in which case get the 400mm length one which will allow it to go higher at minimum frame insertion length. you can also look at a stem extender/higher rise handlebars/higher angle stem to get the bars higher

Reactions: Wozer

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
If the dealer won't exchange the bike, you might have to look at buying a longer seat post, plenty of options. just remove the seat post and measure, I think the Cube ones are 30.9mm diameter, yours might be 350mm in length in which case get the 400mm length one which will allow it to go higher at minimum frame insertion length. you can also look at a stem extender/higher rise handlebars/higher angle stem to get the bars higher

Cheers mate, what do you reckon the chances are of exchanging? Just I would rather do that than start messing with all the components on the bike.
I’ve only had it a week and ridden about 30 miles.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Cheers mate, what do you reckon the chances are of exchanging? Just I would rather do that than start messing with all the components on the bike.
I’ve only had it a week and ridden about 30 miles.
Chances are zero unless you try. If unsuccessful, write directly to Cube. Did you use their frame size calculator?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I was surprised when you at 5'9" were directed to medium. I am 5'11.75", usually rounded up!, and it told me XL.

Don't ruin your knees, they are worth more than any costs of swapping or adapting.

Good luck!

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
Chances are zero unless you try. If unsuccessful, write directly to Cube. Did you use their frame size calculator?
Hi mate, ye la I we used the cube guide! I was right at the top end of medium, but the bike shop said it was better to be at the top end of medium than the very low end of large, but not the case after doing only about 20 miles on the bike

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Hi mate, ye la I we used the cube guide! I was right at the top end of medium, but the bike shop said it was better to be at the top end of medium than the very low end of large, but not the case after doing only about 20 miles on the bike
If you used their size calculator then you have a very good ground to ask for replacement.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I collected the bike last weekend, I rode the bike back from the bike shop and seemed ok! But seat was still a bit low! I have now put it up to the max mark and still not high enough!
Something seems odd here.
I'm often a Large in a bike frame, however whenever I've had to ride any of my wifes's bikes to check them out etc, I've always been able to get the seat post to the correct height (albeit the rest of the bike might be WAY too small), but she's usually a small frame.
Not being able to adjust the seatpost of a medium framed bike high enough for a 5 ft 9 rider ... Like I said, something isn't right.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Something seems odd here.
I'm often a Large in a bike frame, however whenever I've had to ride any of my wifes's bikes to check them out etc, I've always been able to get the seat post to the correct height (albeit the rest of the bike might be WAY too small), but she's usually a small frame.
Not being able to adjust the seatpost of a medium framed bike high enough for a 5 ft 9 rider ... Like I said, something isn't right.
I have to agree. I am 6' 1", my bike is a large frame 20", I had a go on a 17" frame bike and simply raised the seat post and it was fine.

Wozer

Nov 14, 2023
I have to agree. I am 6' 1", my bike is a large frame 20", I had a go on a 17" frame bike and simply raised the seat post and it was fine.
May be it’s my inside leg measurement or something, my seatpost is in the max mark! And could probably do with about an extra inch or so.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
May be it’s my inside leg measurement or something, my seatpost is in the max mark! And could probably do with about an extra inch or so.
Well, like egroover said, just get a longer seatpost. Better to have a frame a bit too small than a bit too big, and like Az said you have plenty of room for a suspension seatpost. I could get away with an XL frame but then I probably couldn't fit my NCX seatpost.

Also, your bike frame has a pretty low starting point for the seatpost, definitely you could benefit from a longer seatpost.

Last edited: