advice please on converting ?

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Can anyone advise, i have giant century that i am thinking of converting to ebike, problem is that it is fitted with nexus gears and hub brakes , thought about crank motor like TGA fited under bottom bracket but small battery box for gears are there HELP ........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The TGA is no longer made, though the Cyclone motor is in two versions, the traditional one under the bottom bracket and a newer one that fits on the downtube and drives a chainwheel like the TGA

This is the traditional type

and this is the new downtube type

so I think one of those would suit. Here is their homepage: Cyclone Taiwan

Alternatively a front wheel hub motor kit might be the easiest of to fit, and there are many of those on the market.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
conversion

thanks flecc, for information cyclone, might be only way as having nexus hub brakes, anybody had much experience with these know of .?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They aren't the best quality, some issues with finish and corrosion, but if you waterproof them they can be reliable. At one time they came with inadequate connections and instructions but they seemed to have sharpened their act more recently and members who have bought in the last year or so have been satisfied with them. The lowest powered legal versions like the 180 watt are inadequate, the 360 watt motor is much better and a good compromise between performance and range. The 500 watt is also good but needs a large battery to perform at it's best.

Cyclone have been around for a long time, but are a small company and their products can only be bought direct from Taiwan using PayPal or bank transfer, they don't accept credit cards.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for that information 1967geezer, they are the Cyclone kits so at last they appear to have an agent again. Good news, since not everyone wants to risk dealing direct half way round the world.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
conversion

fhanks for cyclone griff, do you think it would be any good trying transfer over parts from T.G.A OR would it be a lost cause ?

incidently i discovered a very helpfull place that repairs controllers in Telford Shropshire called Hazeldine electronics ,really nice people.