Advice please

devondunc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2015
About to buy my first ebike either a kalkhoff impulse pro 9 or a burisch synergy

Is the kalkhoff worth twice as much ? I know it has better range and crank drive which I believe Is better for hilly areas

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Kalkhoff can usually be depended on to have the higher quality build that we expect of German made products, and of course it's much more fully equipped. The importers also carry a large range of spares which can be very useful over time but costs them money.

Then to those you must add the effects of diminishing returns that accompany higher price products due to the percentage additions. As the base price goes up, so does the factory margin, the importer margin and the VAT applied. The effect of all these is that as we go up market, we get a lower intrinsic value than the price indicates. To add insult to injury, when we resell the higher price product we lose more too.

So in essence, to benefit from higher quality, we have to accept more loss, and that's true in all fields.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hm. Up to a point Lord Copper. In some fields the higher quality choice will keep its value better than lower quality. Naim Audio for instance, or Rolex watches. Leaving aside the S pedelecs which don’t hold their value Kalkhoffs fetch very good money on eBay at the right time of the year unlike most cheaper e bikes. A higher proportion of the new price certainly.

D

Deleted member 4366

Let's see if we can summarise that. If you buy a Kalkhoff new for £2000 and sell it a year later, you might get £1200 for it, so you lose £800 in the year. If you buy a Chinese bike for £1000 and sell it a year later, you might get £500, so you lose £500 in the year.

To me, it doesn't make sense to buy a bike on price, either high or low. You should just choose the one that does what you need it to do, and then you'll be happy. You can buy cheap bikes that go a long distance and/or climb steep hills.

If you need to park your bike out in the rain every day, the Kalkhoff might be a better buy. The Kalkhoff with the Impulse motor is OK. Don't be tempted by one of their hub-drive bikes just because the price has been knocked down.

Reactions: Jimod and D8ve

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
About to buy my first ebike either a kalkhoff impulse pro 9 or a burisch synergy

Is the kalkhoff worth twice as much ? I know it has better range and crank drive which I believe Is better for hilly areas
I can only vouch for my much loved Kalkhoff Pro Connect Alfine 8. I bought mine used as well and it's kind of as good as new for £1100.

I have had a couple of niggles. The battery was deemed faulty but in a couple of days I had a new battery on warranty, and I bent the rear sprocket when the chain came off but that was a relatively inexpensive repair.

Other than than, a hard as nails German made bike with a decent motor and one of the most impressive current batteries. I ride it almost all the time..

As always, the proof is in the pudding and until you try and compared, you'll never really know.. Bringing me to the point that it's very handy to have a dealer close to you, not only to try these things a couple of times, but to have a somewhere to go if you have an issue or need some face to face contact. Maybe a luxury more than a necessity but a bonus nonetheless..

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
I have replaced a Burisch with a Kalkhoff Groove, they are quite different in quality, not that the Burisch is too bad, just that you end up tweaking bits to get it right. Two major things I had with the Burisch were eating cassettes and the full power assistance, there was no gradual build up. This was great for my commute, but less so when I was out for a ride with my wife and son. Forks and brakes were good on the Burisch, just bear in mind adding a rack, mudguard etc all add to the cost. The Groove (and I know it's not as good as the Impulse bikes) is really well built and very light. Battery range is good, though the pull of the motor is not as strong as the Burisch's. The brakes are surprisingly good for rim brakes.

Another thing to consider is the support you get Burisch require you to return to their warehouse, however 50Cycles are not too far from me in Shoreham. As others have said if you can try and ride both.

John