Advice re BPM motor - suitable controllers, etc

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
Well, nearly a year has passed since I first toyed with entering the world of pedelecs, and events have conspired against me so I'm only just now getting back to the point of having a crack at building one....

So far, I've acquired a Grepow Silverfish 36v 17Ah LiNiMnCo2 battery. Having tested both mid-drive and hub motors, I've decided I prefer the latter and am now considering purchasing a 250W BPM motor
(see: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261852373751?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649)

Having pored through old postings, I'm guessing this is really a 350w with 250w markings, but so much the better as I want at least the appearance of legality!

I'd be very grateful for advice from experienced builders (especially d8veh - I know you're a BPM Guru) on my 'shopping list' of parts to complete the build - primarily Controller, display and pedal sensor

Do you think this motor is a worthwhile buy, or is it the case that by the time I've bought all the other bits I might as well buy a ready-built wheel kit from Woosh at £215 with a guarantee, compatibility of parts and support?

Base bike will probably be a Merlin Malt 1 or Claude Butler Cape Wrath.

I'm aged 60, 14st and have health issues so will need plenty of assistance until I can hopefully rebuild some stamina.

Absolute Key priority is help with hill-climbing. I appreciate that the motor I'm considering doesn't have the best torque available as it's a 235rpm model, but I'm guessing it won't be much lower in torque than the 201rpm.

All comments/advice gratefully received

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello John,
Its a shame you already have a battery as on BMSB you can get an intergrated controller kit for the usb09 battery. All parts are available from BMSB, you will need a sine wave 20a controller or the 25a 500w one and a nice LCD3. As you have pointed out also available from Woosh but it is engraved as 350w and also 235rpm code 13.

Reactions: johneb
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, that's what I would have done. The 09 battery with the 20A controller would be a perfect match. The 48v battery would give 23 mph (26"wheel) and a lot of torque. The 36v one about 19 mph and about 75% of the torque of the 48v one. With that battery you get a nice LCD, throttle, PAS and ebrakes - all with waterproof plug-and-play connectors.

If you want to use your present battery, you limit your choice of controllers. The S12S is massive and a little high on current, and the S06S is a bit on the weak side. There's still the KU93 and the equivalent from Greenbikekit, but they're nowhere near as nice as the sinewave ones. It might be better to sell on your battery and start afresh.

Reactions: johneb