Advice required on first purchase please.

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Hi all.
I'm new to the world of electric bikes and knew next to nothing about them until I picked up some info from this and other sites.
I've seen a reasonably price bike (Sunlova SE-SE26SF02BL) and wondered if anyone who has one could let me know if they're any good.
My main concern is that it has a 24V 180W motor and wondered how well this would perform as most of the bikes I've looked at have 200W motors.

Last edited:

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Thanks for that Simon.
That bike does sound very similar to the one I'm looking at.
Any other advice on the performance I should expect from a 180w motor would be appreciated.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 180 and 200 figures are nominal for legal purposes, and the peak power outputs are often very much higher and can vary wildly. Therefore it's impossible to guess at that motor without either personal experience or technical data. The 180 watt originally arose from this being a classification for basic e-bikes in China, the 200 watt arose from UK law, the 250 watt from EU law. In fact the latter two are often the same motor but called whatever they should be for convenience. :rolleyes:

However, that motor is a modern Hall effect design, and a 180 watt Hall effect motor could well be a better performer than a 200 watt brush motor design, particularly on hill climbing. It isn't going to be a speed machine, but should be fine up to the legal limit of 15.5 mph and be capable of moderate hills up to about 10% with light assistance.

Just how it will be for you depends on two things, your own fitness and input and the steepness of the hills you need to climb. Very little power is needed on the flat, and around 100 to 150 watts will propel you on the flat in still air at about 15 mph without any problem or help from you.

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Ok, I've taken the plunge and ordered one.
I'll post back when it comes and stick a few words in the review section once I've tried it out.
Thanks again guys.

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
I am probably in a similar position re 'what bike to buy' as scobo. I had thought to get a sparta but the dealer has none of the 'cheaper'(£1359!) ones left. so back to the think tank.
What is useful under £1000? have read about the salisbury but think it too underpowered for my 14 mile to work jouney.

chess

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
I am probably in a similar position re 'what bike to buy' as scobo. I had thought to get a sparta but the dealer has none of the 'cheaper'(£1359!) ones left. so back to the think tank.
What is useful under £1000? have read about the salisbury but think it too underpowered for my 14 mile to work jouney.

chess
Have a llok at the Cytronex Trek at No-Hills.com - details on an adjacent thread. I've been getting 28 miles on a fully conditioned battery, keeping the motor on low (ecomony) power.

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
cytronex

thanks for the comments re the cytronex.
do you happen to know whqt the order time is?
I will certainly check the site out.
chess

C

Cyclezee

Chess,

I collected one today, less than 3 weeks after placing an order.

J:) hn

akitano1

Just Joined
Sep 5, 2008
akitano1,i have the non-folding one.

Just got my bike yesterday and so far have been very impressed by it....
26" Brand New Aluminium Electric Folding BikeSL26SF02BL on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 06-Jun-08 21:11:30 BST)
This is pretty much the same bike in the review Simon gave a link to so I won't bother with a review.
That review just about sums it up so it's pretty good value at £340 plus £40 for delivery.
Hi i have the non-folding one from the same seller.it has a different spec/battery/watts. It does the job well,the bicks are cheap and you get what you pay for. good no hills a joy to ride. at first i was disappointed in the condition it came in not well packed,scratched etc . but now i am happy and geting fitter each day.

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008

chess
Hi Chess,

IMHO, I found the Salisbury to be very under powered and under-geared in comparison to a Wisper 905. Also I'm about 5'10-11", and I found the Salisbury to be too small at it's maximum seat post setting. There were also a number of other issues that the manufacturer 'refused' to discuss, so I took it back for a refund. I think you get what you pay for.

Regards

Seeker

JamesBPP

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2008
scobo

I have been looking at this bike and just have one question for you - is the battery location, size and rack the same as in the picture? (the picture the seller is showing on ebay was used by them previously before the battery was changed for the lithium one)

Thanks
Brian

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Yes the salisbury uses the same frame and battery location, for both lithium and nimh batteries,as do most manufacturers ,lithium batteries are a little lighter and can give better performance but are not much smaller, the position of the battery low down behind the seat is generally thought to be the best location,so both batteries easilly adapt to the original frame location.

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
scobo

I have been looking at this bike and just have one question for you - is the battery location, size and rack the same as in the picture? (the picture the seller is showing on ebay was used by them previously before the battery was changed for the lithium one)

Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian.
I got my bike before they changed to the lithium battery so I couldn't say for sure but I'd imagine they'd have changed the photo on ebay if the battery set up was different.
Buyers could send the bike back under the "not as described" rules otherwise.