After 2 years the market situation hasn't changed at all!

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
I started to look for a conversion kit about two years ago, at the time the toxi motor was looking like a good solution for a conversion, but no suppliers in the uk. Well with the price of fuel going through the roof and my fitness going through the floor I decided to start looking again, thinking to myself, the market should have changed. Guess what? Still no suppliers in the uk (well for a decent price - £600 for the nano kit isn't a good price!). The new smaller 8fun motor looks good also but again only suppliers of the old bigger motor, no one selling the new motor? What is so wrong? Why is finding a good quality kit so hard? Some of the ebay kits don't even tell you who makes the motor, controller, etc.

Seems to me that there is almost no outlets for good quality kits in the UK without them charging 400% more than they sourced it for.

My real question - anybody have details on where I can get a good quality conversion kit?

thanks
rob

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Seems to me that there is almost no outlets for good quality kits in the UK without them charging 400% more than they sourced it for.
Competition has increased a fair bit in the last two years, I suspect profit margins have gone down. The high cost has produced a lot of cheaper unbranded alternatives, some people have done well from these and some have wasted a lot of money.
I'd like cheaper bikes and kits but I don't see the high prices as the shops fault.

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Competition has increased a fair bit
Not from what I remember, it still seems to be the same players, hence my subject - the market hasn't progressed.

I am just trying to find a good quality conversion kit, and this seems to be impossible for various reasons (parts are out of stock/ not compatible, price is silly or the quality is suspect). But the worst part of it all is that there doesn't seem to be many suppliers.

The lack of response to my real question
anybody have details on where I can get a good quality conversion kit?
is a sure sign that the market hasn't changed that much

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Hi

We're looking to bring out either the Dapu(sh) Japanese motor as a conversion kit or a retro crank hub motor kit.They wont be silly money either.

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Ah Bigbee, think i found The Electric Bike Centre as being yours?

From a younger mans point of view, anything that hides the fact that it is an electric bike is better, so small quite wheel hubs win that one. I find that many of the electric bikes on the market look like electric bikes(well some of them scream EBIKE) and most of the population (in the UK) don't want to stand out.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The Alien kits get a good write up or you could buy the parts from Frank at http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.das-elektrorad.de%2F&langpair=de|en

I bought new motor / controller / pedelec / throttle from him for a very resonable price. I did have to get the wheel built for me though so it's not plug n play....

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for the tips NRG, your link created a recursive loop in my browser (Google Chrome):eek:

The alien kits don't look too bad but bits of it are cheap. It has the lowest and oldest spec 8fun motor and at the moment only twist grip control - I have nice gear changers and can't switch back to button changers.

You help to make my point about the market, having to refer me to a German site that isn't even a shop - but I do appreciated it - thank you.

It looks like I am able to choose parts that are current - yeah. Looks like he is not trying to over inflate the prices either.

Now what works with what?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Must be the Google Chrome, the original translate link works fine in Firefox.