Agattu and BionX - and no Cycle Scheme in Essex Council

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I have had my 350W li-ion BionX for coming up for two years and done over 3000 miles on it. Most of that was in the first year as an op kept me off the bike for a while but I'm now back to commuting on it, albeit not daily as before, which is a 13 mile round trip.

My wife has decided to get an electric bike and was hoping to do so through the Cycle To Work Scheme but her employer (Essex Council) does not participate - there's a thread in that alone.... Anyway, I have been taken by the Agattu reviews and thought it looked like a serious rival to my BionX, so we arranged a test ride. Owing to my knee not bending enough to ride without a modified crank, I couldn't ride the Agattu for more than a few yards which was a shame but it looked like a nice setup. My wife returned from her test ride a bit luke warm, not sure that the bike would ease her commute as much as she is hoping. She then rode my BionX again (on a Trek 7300 from about 2000) which she had not ridden in ages and after another hour's test ride said it was "infinitely better" - battery capacity/range seemed about the same although the routes were different.

My purpose in posting this is certainly not to rubbish the Agattu which seems very capable, and I hope this thread does not descent into bashing this, that or the other! The test is far from scientific but, on the other hand, was done by someone who is perhaps a typical newcomer and simply rides a couple of bikes and gives a subjective opinion of how they meet their needs. Anyway, I confess to being pleased that my choice of the BionX two years ago still seems to stand up well today!

It is a shame that there still is not a UK BionX dealer but we will buy from NYceWheels again as they have been excellent to deal with. One thing that does beat me though is why every other bike is not electric, regardless of make or type. All my friends know how great my bike is - for the pocket, health, environment, etc etc, yet so few people buy them. A friend of mine, for whom money really is no object, has just bought four new bikes for his family. After a couple of rides this summer, I dare say the bikes will sit unused in the garage, whereas perhaps four electric bikes would all but replace their cars for local journeys. Anyway, that's another subject!

Cheers
Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The BionX is indeed excellent Nick. The Panasonic system does need to be got used to, and it's very common for those riding it for the first time to be unimpressed. It's mostly a matter of technique, and the most common mistake is pedalling too fast for the bike to deliver it's full power. The best pedalling speeds and use of the gears isn't immediately intuitive.

Territory comes into it as well of course, and the Panasonic system comes into it's own on really steep hills, where for many it is the only option, hub-motor bikes often not measuring up to the need.

I think the cost stops existing cyclists buying into electric, many expressing shock when that's mentioned.

As for the non-cycling motorists, they mostly just don't want to be cyclists under any circumstances.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Its annoying when Public Sectors dont do the cycle scheme. My wife works for an NHS trust that will give you a £500 interest free loan, but wont run the cycle 2 work scheme.

- How annoying is that !! :mad:

John

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Flecc

I did wonder about the technique with the Agattu as I've read your excellent review and heard it mentioned a few times. That said, my wife did try various gears and speeds, etc and decided she simply preferred my BionX but of course it's quite possible that with more practice she would have got more out of the Agattu. It's a shame I couldn't ride the Agattu as I would have been very interested, particularly with its hill climbing. We live in East Anglia so, whilst there are hills (and there's a fairly biggish one just down the road) the terrain is generally flat to undulating. I think the BionX gets a bit overlooked, quite probably because of the lack of a UK dealer which is a shame as I think it's an excellent system, but I was certainly very apprehensive when I bought mine.

John, as you say, for the public sector employers not to support these schemes is just ridiculous. The people my wife spoke to in the council were just as frustrated as they themselves wanted to use the scheme.

Last edited:

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Its annoying when Public Sectors dont do the cycle scheme. My wife works for an NHS trust that will give you a £500 interest free loan, but wont run the cycle 2 work scheme.

- How annoying is that !! :mad:

John
Hi John,

It's the same at the ministry of defence. However, I was given some valid reasons. It seems to be that a cycle 2 work scheme has implications on Personal liability, wage and bonus negotiations, and use of tax payers money that opens up a whole can of worms:confused: which no one as yet wants to be resposible for. It's much more clear cut in the comercial sector.