Agattu front hub problem

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
My three week old Agattu has developed a fault. I noticed yesterday that the front wheel was very noisy, sounding like bearing noise from the hub. :( On examination there was a lot of grease around the bearing seals. Does this sound as if the bearing seals have gone? What is likely to be the required remedial work? Photos linked below:

Hub 1
Hub 2
Hub 3

I have already emailed 50Cycles, just want a bit of techie backup to my opinion!

Thanks in advance,

Simon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very unusual Simon, it looks likely that the hub dynamo is heating up and causing the grease to run like this, since if it was a bearing failing it would have only occurred on one side.

The noise is more likely to be from the dynamo itself rather than a bearing.

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
Mark of 50Cycles has been in touch by email and phone. They are couriering (is that a word?) out a new wheel and arranging collection of the faulty one so that they can find out what the problem is.

Happy days :)

postscript - went back onto my Ezee Torq while Agattu was poorly, and was surprised how quickly I had adapted my riding style to the Agattu in three weeks, and had to re-learn the Torq again! :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mark of 50Cycles has been in touch by email and phone. They are couriering (is that a word?) out a new wheel and arranging collection of the faulty one so that they can find out what the problem is.

Happy days :)

postscript - went back onto my Ezee Torq while Agattu was poorly, and was surprised how quickly I had adapted my riding style to the Agattu in three weeks, and had to re-learn the Torq again! :eek:
Glad you're going to be fixed up quickly Simon.

As you say, the big differences in these two types of bike are highlighted when suddenly switching from one to the other. I tend to regard them as almost different classes of vehicle, so great is the difference.