Agattu Rear Dynamo light Fixing Tip

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi Guys,

My rear light failed on my agattu. I phoned 50cycles and they said i should try changing the batteries, for new rechargeable ones. This worked first time.

This sounds like a common problem for these lights. Mines ~7 months old (running on always on or sensor). Am i daft or shouldnt dynamo lights remove the need for this? Ah well, save you guys some angst if it happens to you.

C

Cyclezee

Eh, what batteries??? To the best of my knowledgeAgattu lights are dynamo powered:confused:

J:) hn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The front lamp is, but some Agattus at least, including my test one, had a battery powered LED rear lamp.

C

Cyclezee

Interesting, both my Agattus, the first from November 07, the other from April 08, have dynamo powered front and rear lights.

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Both my lights on my Agattu are also dynamo powered. The rear light stays lit for 4 mins after cycling stopped - safety precaution, when stopped at traffic lights for example. Would this safety feature require a battery?
I've had my bike since Dec. I did'nt think the spec had changed?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe the standlight is part of the system Robert, no rechargeable batteries needed as far as I know, but I could be wrong. The Agattu I tested was an early one, probably made a month or two before yours.

C

Cyclezee

No you are not wrong Flecc, the rear standlight is part of the system and contains no batteries, rechargeable or otherwise.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Agattu / Tasman Lights

Definitely dynamo driven front and rear lights on my Tasman.

I love the standlight ability of the rear light to stay on for several minutes after the wheels stop turning, but I wonder why the front light does not do the same?

Iain

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
mmm i have the " Busch & Muller Selectra LED lamp". Its wired up like a dynamo, acts like a dynamo but contains batteries. I got my Agattu in March.

So either its masquerading as a dynamo, ie is only on when dynamo is on + 4 minutes or it is a dynamo, but the standlight is powered by the batteries and the whole circuit must be completed by the batteries.

Kemman85

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2008
I guess this was a frustration with my Agattu - not having a leaflet explaining the workings of the lights. both front and rear lights have a stay-on feature but the front light also has a 3 position switch. With these light nights, i've not got round to figuring the lights out fully, it would have been good for some details to be included with the bike. The stay-on facility must include a form of energy storage, either a small rechargeable or one of those capacative cells.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
The switch on my front light on my Agattu has no effect any more, the lights are always on regardless of its position.

Does the phrase "no user serviceable parts inside" apply?

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
My Tasman front light also has three positions on the switch; Off, On & Auto. The light works fine on the latter two positions, but I have no idea what the Auto part is all about. According to the 50cycles website it is a Busch & Muller Lumotec Fly Senso Plus. The Busch & Muller website states that this has a standlight function, not so far as I can see.

Mind you I have not actually been out in the dark and maybe things will be different then. The Senso & Auto bits must mean something?

Iain

C

Cyclezee

The 3 positions are on, off, and automatic. The automatic setting switches on the lights when the light level is low, i.e. in darkness or when riding in an unlit tunnel or underpass.
I just leave mine in auto and forget about it. From my experience the system works very well.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Hello John

I am the ultimate fair weather rider. I have only been out in broad daylight and have the lights on to make me that bit more obvious, if damned big Volvos require it so do I.

"On" or "Auto" the lights come on.

Iain

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
My Agattu has a Lumotec front light and an BM Selectra LED rear light. The front light goes off when you stop but the rear light stays on so must have a rechargeable battery somewhere.

There is a small white LED present in the Lumotec lamp just below the halogen bulb. This is not connected on my Agattu but lights up when you apply power to a small unused spade connector below the lamp. I am sure this is must be the 'standlight function' referred to and if connected would provide battery backup for the front light when stationary.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Kalkhoff Lights

A quote from Mark at 50cycles

“The front light on the Tasman has no standlight function. The German spec bike has this but specs were changed for the UK market. The rear still has the standlight.”

Yet their website stated, “Front lamp Busch & Muller Lumotec Fly Senso Plus” which does have a standlight.

Their website also states that the Agattu has “Front lamp Busch & Muller Lumotec-2 Senso Plus front halogen lamp (auto-on and standlight function)”

So make of it what you will.

Iain :confused:

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Mine has the front standlight, it's very convenient when butting the bike in the shed.

Unlike the rear light, you cannot manually switch of the front standlight.

It's like the "coming home" function that some cars have.

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
I'd be very interested to hear how your front light is wired up, Erik. If your front light stays on there must be a battery backup somewhere. Any chance you could have a look and tell us here on the forum?

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Well, just to confuse matters, on my Raleigh leicester Deluxe the opposite seems to apply - the front light stays on for a while but the rear goes out immediately. Go figure.