Agattu Stand Breakage!

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi guys just a quick warning. The esge\plescher kickstand broke yesterday. Snapped clean in the middle!

Might want to check yours.

I'll call 50 cycles today and ask about it.

PS no i havent sat on it, but i do put a lot of weight on the bike (it had my shopping on yesterday. My tomatoes got squished! )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're the second to report this essexman, it does seem the weight is a bit to much for this stand.

As I've remarked before, it's a sacrificial design since it mounts on the lower alloy tube of the rear A frame. If it was a rigid stand and accidentally subjected to an excessive loading, the frame tube could be twisted and buckled, which would be very serious of course.

Therefore the stand has a very flexible plastic lower section to act as a shock absorber which protects the frame, but it seems enough force can still get through to break the stand's upper metal section across the open web structure if a particular one is a bit weak at that point

It's not an ideal situation, but unfortunately the Panasonic power unit rules out the usual stronger rear of bottom bracket mounting. I think Derby Cycles/Kalkhoff could put some more thought into this point, maybe enlarging the frame mounting plate so that it welded to both lower and upper A frame tubes, doubling the mounting strength and enabling a slightly stronger stand stem.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Mine broke after a few days, too.

The bloody thing is not used on bikes in Denmark, so I'm still waiting for a replacement.

On our heavy bikes I wold prefer strenght over weight saving on an item like this.

The normal solid Comp is probably stronger that the lightweigt webbed Comp Zoom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your one brings it to three I know of now Erik.

A stronger leg stand on the present frame plate is ok as long as great care is taken not to have an accidental overload which could buckle the frame tube.

The stands that clamp around the frame tube aren't entirely suitable due to the taper on the tube, combined with it being flattened at the forward end.

C

Cyclezee

Have all 3 broken at the same point I wonder? Would be interesting to know, then I might try and strengthen or splint my 2 in that area.

John:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe they usually go across the middle of the longer slot John. A strip of small angle alloy Araldited at the back of the angle adds the necessary strength. That's the pukka stuff of course, heat hardened at up to 60 degrees C in the oven, not Araldite Rapid.

I did actually repair one of these for someone, doing as above but with four small bolts through, two either side of the join. Bolting wouldn't be necessary with an unbroken one of course, just the reinforcing strip.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I believe they usually go across the middle of the longer slot John. A strip of small angle alloy Araldited at the back of the angle adds the necessary strength. That's the pukka stuff of course, heat hardened at up to 60 degrees C in the oven, not Araldite Rapid.

I did actually repair one of these for someone, doing as above but with four small bolts through, two either side of the join. Bolting wouldn't be necessary with an unbroken one of course, just the reinforcing strip.
Thanks Flecc, I'm going to hunt out a couple of strips of scrap titanium.

John

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks Flecc, I'm going to hunt out a couple of strips of scrap titanium.

John
Good job it's not URANIUM.. otherwise you'd have MI5 after you.. and us... as we regularly associate with you.. :D
By the way, how are your rubber hand grips doing( not trying to be too personal, like!) Mine seem to have settled down and stopped shedding layers.

bw
musicbooks

C

Cyclezee

Good job it's not URANIUM.. otherwise you'd have MI5 after you.. and us... as we regularly associate with you.. :D
By the way, how are your rubber hand grips doing( not trying to be too personal, like!) Mine seem to have settled down and stopped shedding layers.

bw
musicbooks
I could probably lay my hands on some plutonium 239, but that would be the last you would hear from me:eek:
As for handlebar grips, the left one seems to be delaminating, 3 or 4 layers so far approx 0.10 mm thick but only on the top side.

John:)

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I believe they usually go across the middle of the longer slot John. ....
Mine broke at the top of the smaller opening near the hinge, where the bending forces are largest.

Would filling the bloody thing up with fibre reinforced epoxy help?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mine broke at the top of the smaller opening near the hinge, where the bending forces are largest.

Would filling the bloody thing up with fibre reinforced epoxy help?
It would Erik, and should be sufficient to get it back into use.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Your one brings it to three I know of now Erik.

A stronger leg stand on the present frame plate is ok as long as great care is taken not to have an accidental overload which could buckle the frame tube.

The stands that clamp around the frame tube aren't entirely suitable due to the taper on the tube, combined with it being flattened at the forward end.
Not as sleek as the one on the Kalkhoff Agattu.. but the strong steel kickstand on my Synergie Mistral, old fashioned design no doubt, is spring loaded and locks into position making the parked bike very stable. Another good point is, it is fitted directly to the back wheel so there's no danger of it twisting the bike frame. It's all very well to redesign things to make them lighter and prettier but I wish some designers would not lose track of reliability and function.

Mistral Kickstand:
http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/synergieusergroup/photos/view/cd8c?b=4

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I spoke to 50cycles yesterday theyre sending another one out. A weak one is better than non, but i'll not put mike on it again.

The stand broke in the mid point.

Anyone think of a reliable option? Maybe something old fashioned from the good old days? I'm after somthing reliable that wont warp the frame.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I spoke to 50cycles yesterday theyre sending another one out. A weak one is better than non, but i'll not put mike on it again.

The stand broke in the mid point.

Anyone think of a reliable option? Maybe something old fashioned from the good old days? I'm after somthing reliable that wont warp the frame.
This old-fashioned stand used by Panasonic looks solid.