Agattu suspension forks...

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Being a good boy and mechanically adept at most things, I do my own bike maintenance. I was reading through the owners manual pamphlet which came with the forks and found the following...

Every 4 weeks or 25-30 hours of riding or whenever the performance of the fork has diminished (whichever occurs first), perform the following procedures:

1. Disassemble fork and thoroughly clean grease and residue from each part.
2. Inspect all parts for damage such as cracks, abrasions, and normal wear. If parts are found to be damaged or excessively worn in any way, replace them immediately. Stop using this product until the damaged or worn parts have been replaced. If all the parts are in usable condition, proceed to step 3.
3. Apply a liberal amount of grease to the upper and lower bushing, stanchion, valve assembly, and wipers. Fill the wipe pocket with a generous amount of grease. Do not use a lithium based grease as it may damage the bushing material.

* Warranty is voided if fixing bolt is removed

OK.. I admit it... I'm stuck on 1.) - How do the forks come apart for this maintenance - There's no diagrams to help.... And more importantly.. where is this fixing bolt that I must not remove?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never taken those apart so can't give specific help there, but this advice:

Every 4 weeks or 25-30 hours of riding or whenever the performance of the fork has diminished (whichever occurs first)

strikes me as grossly excessive. It could occur every two weeks for some. The Agattu that A to B and I tested one after the other certainly didn't get that treatment, and I'd personally just use it until a problem started to appear in the fork's suspension performance, ignoring the 4 weeks advice.

Much depends on the suspension hardness setting. If set soft the forks will work much harder and wear faster, but if set hard as I like them they'd probably last a very long time before fresh greasing is necessary.