Agattu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
....and not even ridden for 5 miles ....amazing.
It is indeed, time after time e-bikes advertised on ebay have hardly been used. Yeah right!

Consumers are very ready to complain about the conduct of traders, but in my experience consumers are the biggest crooks of all when it comes to them selling something.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
It is indeed, time after time e-bikes advertised on ebay have hardly been used. Yeah right!
This one, however, sounds like the genuine article, with a good authentic-sounding back- story, but for corroboration of that story and the five mile use, just enlarge the photos on the ebay listing and examine the tyre treads and walls - brand new by the look of them, as is also the rest of the bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can make a bike look like that after a few hundred miles, the photographic appearance isn't enough to know.

Just once in a while one of these claims may be genuine, but I find it difficult to believe the world is populated by so many people who spend a thousand or two only to sell at a fraction of that without using what they've bought.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
The photo of the bike looks like one of the newer models to me,i thought the older models had a mostly grey frame.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the weight seems well out too, quoted as 20.8 kilos including the 2.2 kilo battery and that's repeated. The Agattu with that battery when I tested one was 26 kilos, quoted and checked.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
While I agree that anyone buying an electric bike on eBay, sight unseen (apart from the photos) should conform to buyer beware advice, it is not sensible to manufacture doubts in the face of the evidence: bike complete with charger, battery, and documentation, therefore not stolen; bike complete with an apparently authentic history, and illustrated with photos which tend to corroborate rather than muddy that history.

I know it is possible to clean up a bike prior to sale, and if it has not been used much, restore it to apparently new-looking condition, but there will still be blemishes, and while the side walls of the tyres might be cleaned, how do you restore the pristine tread, or the mark free rims (other than by using Photoshop for the photos)? And anyone who has tried to weigh an electric bike (as I have using a spring balance, or tipping it end up on the bathroom scales) will know that it is not easy to arrive at an accurate weight.

And remember, if all else fails, resort can be had to the eBay and Paypal resolution procedures for a refund if the seller's description is shown to be really unsound.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That weight error is far too big Rooel, espcially when he is quoting it so exactly at 20.8 kilos. And as for claims from PayPal, he states as a condition of sale £100 on PayPal, the rest in cash on collection.

I'm not manufacturing doubts, I'm drawing attention to some very real existing anomalies which should make a buyer cautious. That's a proper function of a forum such as this.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
And anyone who has tried to weigh an electric bike (as I have using a spring balance, or tipping it end up on the bathroom scales) will know that it is not easy to arrive at an accurate weight.
The way I weigh something big or awkward is to stand on scales holding it....then put it down and weigh myself and subtract that from the total....works for me :)