Age and range of eZee battery - serial number code

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Hi all,
Can someone help me decifer the serial number on an eZee battery and give advice on the range I might expect to get and how it diminishes with age if unused?
It is a Li+ Polymer serial number 200810143.
Is it as simple as 2008?
I've checked on the forum and it appears that 20 miles is about the norm from one of these when new. How would it change if it is new but unused for a year or so?
Thanks again,
Peter

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So what kind of range are you getting? if an early battery where these not problematic? Especially if not been maintained:rolleyes:

Don't you have an Ezee kit?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know the date coding on the li-polymer batteries so can't help with that. Although the 2008 looks likely, the remaining numbering could indicate either January or October, depending on how much information is coded.

It's almost impossible to know the potential range without knowing not only the age but also the storage conditions, how often it was charged during storage and the charge level it was stored at. Use the link below and scroll down a quarter page to see the effect of storage temperatures and charge levels on capacity:

Lithium battery storage

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have an eZee kit fitted to my mountain bike and was using a home-made Nickel metal hydride battery but this only gave me a 6 mile range which was only just enough to get me to work so I bought a 10Ah eZee battery (old but unused so new) and found that I only got 8 miles from a charge and the battery light was almost always on yellow and dropped to red at every hill even after a few charge discharge cycles. Having read some of the forum pages regarding range I noted that 20 miles is about right. I think the battery is on it's way out so I've been sent another to try and this one seems better but still often drops to yellow. Have yet to do a range test but managed to get 12 miles out of it but not sure how much was left in it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Peter, see my reply link below on the lights dropping to yellow on the eZee Li-polymer batteries. This applies to both the 10 and 14 Ah ones:

Reply on battery LED responses

Read that thread through to the final confirmation from 4beeches0 that the battery was a very good performer.

Last edited:

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
It says it all, I think what I'm seeing appears very similar so have some renewed confidence with my battery. I will flatten it completely this weekend as during the week I only do 6 miles to and 6 miles back from work and it sounds like it needs a complete discharge to re-set the BMS.
Thanks for all the guidance.