Aikema 85SX

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I have just replaced my front hub motor Xiongda YTW-06 with a rear wheel AKM supplied by Woosh. I’d done a bit over a 1000 miles on the Xiongda but it had always been less than perfect mainly due to vibration through the bars. It also made some very unpleasant noises at times and recently the clutch seemed to stick on so the motor was permanently engaged acting like energy recovery mode on my BMW i3 when going downhill. So, I had been thinking of replacing it for a while but wanted to stay with as light a motor as possible, power not my main concern - the Xiongda was enough. Enter the Aikema which seemed to fit the bill. The excellent Woosh supplied the new motor and provided impressive support (as is normal for Tony and Hatti) in overcoming the odd installation difficulty. I have now completed minor adjustments on brakes and gear indexing so had my first proper but only short ride on it today. First impressions are it seems much quieter and smoother than the Xiongda, but that may just be related to a rear hub motor being further away. No noticeable vibration is the main thing. It definitely provides more assist. It all works seamlessly with my existing KT36ZWSR controller (only change required was for P1 setting to 101) and softpack 17ah battery using Panasonic GA 3.5Ah cells from Jimmy at Insat. They display also now works properly, previously it was a bit iffy showing the correct speed when under load. All the above was / is fitted to my Thorn Club Tour. I plan to do some serious bike packing adventures once the lockdown ends. I’ll add some more detail when I have some longer, harder rides.

Sasanka100

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2012
I have just replaced my front hub motor Xiongda YTW-06 with a rear wheel AKM supplied by Woosh. I’d done a bit over a 1000 miles on the Xiongda but it had always been less than perfect mainly due to vibration through the bars. It also made some very unpleasant noises at times and recently the clutch seemed to stick on so the motor was permanently engaged acting like energy recovery mode on my BMW i3 when going downhill. So, I had been thinking of replacing it for a while but wanted to stay with as light a motor as possible, power not my main concern - the Xiongda was enough. Enter the Aikema which seemed to fit the bill. The excellent Woosh supplied the new motor and provided impressive support (as is normal for Tony and Hatti) in overcoming the odd installation difficulty. I have now completed minor adjustments on brakes and gear indexing so had my first proper but only short ride on it today. First impressions are it seems much quieter and smoother than the Xiongda, but that may just be related to a rear hub motor being further away. No noticeable vibration is the main thing. It definitely provides more assist. It all works seamlessly with my existing KT36ZWSR controller (only change required was for P1 setting to 101) and softpack 17ah battery using Panasonic GA 3.5Ah cells from Jimmy at Insat. They display also now works properly, previously it was a bit iffy showing the correct speed when under load. All the above was / is fitted to my Thorn Club Tour. I plan to do some serious bike packing adventures once the lockdown ends. I’ll add some more detail when I have some longer, harder rides.
Will be interested to hear your review. Am thinking of buying a kit from Woosh.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Did 3 commutes this week (15 miles round trips). All working well and a real pleasure to ride in the sunshine.
I have removed the throttle to make a bit more room on the bars since not used it with the new motor. Battery and controller are in the frame bag. New bar bag ready for tent when overnighters are allowed. Here’s a few pictures.

981C7E04-C863-42D5-9B46-0FC2263527F8.jpegA63B2AA6-6534-4663-8C97-052B99203FEC.jpeg4E39A56B-7D22-46E4-ABAB-F09664CDD861.jpegBE5D5B59-A781-4B07-8FBC-EF59EE26496B.jpeg

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
hi let us know your thoughts on the 85sx motor please, positives, negatives, performance etc. especially after you do some of those harder rides. Thanks as i will have the same motor in a few weeks your findings will have relevance. Cheers bike looks the part by the way.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Today I completed the first 1000 miles on this motor. I’m really very pleased with it. The longest ride I’ve done is about 50 miles. Completed some quite serious off road journeys in deep mud (not much fun) but mostly on road and reasonable tracks. One fully loaded bike packing adventure on Dartmoor in the summer (pouring rain!). The motor is very quiet and gives enough power for me (now that I’m about 75kg) up even the steepest hills (of which there are many in N.Devon). There is no noticeable drag. I’m using a current limited controller which works well for me, allowing a variable amount of assist without limiting speed. I mostly ride unassisted, using the motor for hills or sometimes just to keep up speed with my son. It’s a brilliant light weight solution if you want to do most of the cycling but need help up the hills or into headwinds.

Reactions: Atlav4