air suspension just seen very "cheap"

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock-shox-reba-rlt-solo-air-100-tapered-ml15-pushloc-diffusion-black-143279rock-shox-reba-rlt-solo-air-100-tapered-ml15-pushloc-diffusion-black-143279

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Please find above a link to just one of the Rock Shox Reba suspension forks that I have just been on sale at bike-discount.Dr

I know £200+ is not cheap, but 50% / 54% off rrp is worth knowing about if you are in the market for some better suspension.

(Just wish I could afford it, I'll be getting the suntour ncx seatposst instead!)

Hope someone finds that useful.

James

D

Deleted member 4366

They're tapered, so won't fit most frames. It's a shame they don't do the non-tapered ones.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They also have the through 15mm maxle so not compatiable with std 9mm axles, so in most cases would require a wheel rebuild with a new hub.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
And to add to all the above problems, the forks are for 26" wheels.

Who use those nowadays?

They are not just so last year, they are so the year before, and the year before that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although it appears trends are moving to larger wheel sizes for mtb's (650, 27.5") etc for upper echelon 2k bikes, still a lot of used quality bikes available for sale with 26" and new bikes sub 1.5k still use them. I have 26" mtb and prefer the look of the smaller wheel, the larger wheeled mtb's look strange to me.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although it appears trends are moving to larger wheel sizes for mtb's (650, 27.5") etc for upper echelon 2k bikes, still a lot of used quality bikes available for sale with 26" and new bikes sub 1.5k still use them. I have 26" mtb and prefer the look of the smaller wheel, the larger wheeled mtb's look strange to me.

Absolutely, 26" for me regardless of purpose, it least it knows what size it is.

700c, aka 27", aka 28" aka 29er is obviously a very mixed up wheel, you just can't depend on something that confused. :confused:

It doesn't even know what valve type to use!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I chose 26" wheels on the Delite in preference to 29" as I find the bike handles better when negotiating the uneven pathways.

My Haibike has 27.5", better than 29" but not as nimble to use.

So for next year, 32"?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Who use those nowadays?

They are not just so last year, they are so the year before, and the year before that.
And to add even more.....

It doesn't just stop at buying a 26" wheeled bicycle. You then need to buy oversized shoes, a rotating bow tie and a red nose because it looks like something that a clown would ride.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
It seems that we are heading back to the penny farthing wheel sizes of 60" !, another hundred years and we will be back where we were a hundred years ago !

Reactions: flecc

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

Who use those nowadays?

Giant bike wheels, great if you live in France and carry strings of garlic and croissants around with you,
reminds me of old grandmothers bicycles with that wicker front pannier :)

D

Deleted member 4366

sorry I offended you all by pointing out what I thought was a good deal:(
Nobody was offended, but we have to make sure that people don't rush in and buy something they can't use. Not everybody understands what's involved.

Reactions: Nealh

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Having only ridden 26 inchers, do the bigger sizes really make a discernible difference to handling and comfort etc... for the average non pro rider?

If I test rode these bigger wheeled bikes, would I go " wow, that's for me, I'm never going back to 26 inches "?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Having only ridden 26 inchers, do the bigger sizes really make a discernible difference to handling and comfort etc... for the average non pro rider?

If I test rode these bigger wheeled bikes, would I go " wow, that's for me, I'm never going back to 26 inches "?
Go & try some, my first test I had in mind a 29er 'cause that's what everyone was saying is the thing to go for. OnBike had a BH Evolution for me to try, then I rode a 26" and found it better for me.

Didn't have a bike for many months after and then chose another make but the 26" was the one for me. Regardless of make of bike, I had tried many.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If you ride through any high street on a 29er or 700C wheeled bicycle, this is what the average person going about their business will see and perceive;

Riding a bicycle with 26" wheels or smaller distorts people's perceptions and they will see this;

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If you ride through any high street on a 29er or 700C wheeled bicycle, this is what the average person going about their business will see and perceive;

Riding a bicycle with 26" wheels or smaller distorts people's perceptions and they will see this;

Unless you're a midget of course :p

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Folk would spot the 18" wheels on the Birdy, I doubt most would notice anything different otherwise.

I used think the 700 skinny wheel bikes were odd, old fashioned weird bikes for oldies.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok, so it seems that most of the Rock Shox on sale are the tapered ones and maybe I chose a bad example for size:

for 29er:
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock-shox-reba-rl-29-solo-air-120-tapered-ml15-pushloc-matte-neongreen-416861/wg_id-205

for 27.5:
the discount is only 30odd%
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock-shox-reba-rl-27,5-solo-air-100-tapered-ml15-pushloc-black-111269/wg_id-205
sorry I offended you all by pointing out what I thought was a good deal:(
This site is good for the odd bargain or discounted item, so keep posting James.
The Suntour NCX were a great hit and many on here bought them, I my self got 2. As mentioned not all items are as they seem and not realising/understanding the spec's can lead to a bad buy,Cwah had that problem some time ago with forks. I suspect the forks are on offer due to the fact that 26" is a less common size now but mainly because of the maxle which isn't as popular as the standard 9mm QR axle and as D8ve has pointed out they are tapered.