alarmed!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think they are handy if you are within earshot.In a shop or restaurant etc....and hopefully enough to surprise and scare of amateurs.

there was a few threads before on the subject and I bought one of these:

Bike Alarm | Bike Alarm | Property Protection | Security Products | Safetyshop
How much movement does this need to go off?

My problem is there will be slight movement when other bikes get parked nearby, someone removing equipment will only be a slight movement but over a longer period. I doubt I would hear it but it would hopefully be enough to put someone off using tools to dismantle the bike.

Last edited:

seca-seca

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2009
Someone I worked with used to have a cycle alarm. It didn't take long for people to notice, and in the end he had to take it off. He got fed up with idiots deliberately making it go off constantly.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7

My problem is there will be slight movement when other bikes get parked nearby, someone removing equipment will only be a slight movement but over a longer period. I doubt I would hear it but it would hopefully be enough to put someone off using tools to dismantle the bike.
Ive put one of these on the misses's bike with a new defender Frame Lock as she doesnt have a lock point. It wont go off with slow fractional movement, but if someone picks it up, knocks it heavily, or it starts moving above about 1mph then it goes off very very loudly.

John

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Ive put one of these on the misses's bike with a new defender Frame Lock as she doesnt have a lock point. It wont go off with slow fractional movement, but if someone picks it up, knocks it heavily, or it starts moving above about 1mph then it goes off very very loudly.

John
I'm not worried about someone stealing the whole thing, I have a very good lock to stop that. I want the impossible which is an alarm that can tell the difference between someone locking a bike on the other side of the railings and someone trying to remove things from my bike.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I'm not worried about someone stealing the whole thing, I have a very good lock to stop that. I want the impossible which is an alarm that can tell the difference between someone locking a bike on the other side of the railings and someone trying to remove things from my bike.
How about a very high voltage applied to the bike frame so that anyone touching the exposed metal parts will emit a 100db scream! :D
(I was actually thinking of a capacitive type sensor that would detect changes in the electric field of the bike :eek: )

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
How about a very high voltage applied to the bike frame so that anyone touching the exposed metal parts will emit a 100db scream! :D
(I was actually thinking of a capacitive type sensor that would detect changes in the electric field of the bike :eek: )
Not that silly, I've had a cracking shock off an overdrive unit so I could use something similar to liven my bike up. :)
Just as long as it doesn't touch the railings and liven that up too. :p

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Not that silly, I've had a cracking shock off an overdrive unit so I could use something similar to liven my bike up. :)
Just as long as it doesn't touch the railings and liven that up too. :p
What if they've got rubber gloves in their caliper stealing toolkit? :D

Patrick

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

I have the same one, and you have to be careful not to touch bike at all when turning it of as It starts to give single beeps as a warning before it goes of properly. So what if it goes of accidentaly.....at least you will know if within earshot

last time I was in France with Motorhome, had bike locked up and alarmed outside. forgot about it, and when it got dark decided to put it away.... I think I must have woken everyone up around struggling to unlock it in the dark!

but for me the alarm is to alert us if in a shop or wherever, and will hopefully frighten of amateur thieves:rolleyes:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
That's what I am hoping for as there are plenty of other bikes to chose from and it's quite cheap.
Is it easy to fit or does it have to be handlebar mounted?
My wifes is mounted below the seat on the seatpost.

John

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
My wifes is mounted below the seat on the seatpost.

John
Same here......but you need to make sure seat not removable.By either modifying quick release or security lock to frame (mine)

I had to put adhesive tape around post as fitting was a bit to big.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Same here......but you need to make sure seat not removable.By either modifying quick release or security lock to frame (mine)

I had to put adhesive tape around post as fitting was a bit to big.
Sorry, I mean the main upright thingy, not the actual seatpost, but the upright itself (forgot the name of it)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry, I mean the main upright thingy, not the actual seatpost, but the upright itself (forgot the name of it)
the wisper frame is to large a diameter for the alarm fitting......

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I was out the front of my house today, and heard an alarm going off. \no one in the street even batted an eyelid. What a waste of time and money. All it managed to do was wind me up by chirping on for half an hour.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Perhaps a new 'alarm' sound should be developed; imagine trying to steal a bike and a very loud string of obscene swearwords eminate from somewhere on the bike, I think that would turn more heads in a busy high street/supermarket car park than the usual beep-beep-beep (or whatever) :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I was out the front of my house today, and heard an alarm going off. \no one in the street even batted an eyelid. What a waste of time and money. All it managed to do was wind me up by chirping on for half an hour.
Not really..... The alarm is to alert me that some one is tampering with my bike? and hopefully frighten of inquisitive scrot's

Onslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2009
I amgoing to invent an alarm that says' " Attention, this man is a regsitered sex offender! Stop him!" people will definately pay attention to that.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I amgoing to invent an alarm that says' " Attention, this man is a regsitered sex offender! Stop him!" people will definately pay attention to that.
Ok, that may not be best seller. I have enough problems trying to get the key in my u lock and unlock it or see the numbers on my combo lock without reading glasses. Need I go further. :eek:

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
Mine screeches 110 dB from sounders at each end:

Hi

what make is your alarm ?

I tried the Shadow alarm but the volume is very poor, and it's even worse when it's actually in the handlebars as the sound has to travel the length of the handlebars out the opposite end of the unit itself, which for me isn't going to work as I have a wingmirror on that side.