Aldi 145L "Heavy Duty" Trunk £17.99

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is the exact item I alreay have and use with my CF xl modded trailer.
The price is excellant at £18.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I thought it looked familiar. If I buy one I'll have to buy Carry Freedom's crazy priced box nubs, and drill holes into my CF Small Y for those nubs sometime later... I'll kick one around the store to see if it's worthy, then buy one which hasn't been kicked around the store.

This looks like the same product for £29.88:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They have 4 x 90/100mm plastic wheels underneath but they are no good for a flat bed trailer , I simply popped them out .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wondered about that - depending on how high the wheels hold one end of the box base above the trailer platform, it might be viable to screw a thick enough wood rectangle under the box so that the wheels aren't making contact, then make or buy CF nubs to bolt through the wood and box base. Wheels would be useful to keep on if possible, it's a big box and heavy when filled.

Pricey bits of plastic:

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need the CF feet , a pair of rachet straps are needed to hold the box firmly in place.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Clip a small chain to the trailer and run it around the trailer and box, and fix it tight with a padlock. Not only will it hold the box down, but it'll stop people from opening the box. Cost about a fiver for cheap chain and padlock.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
Reactions: jimriley

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm transporting garden veg, not gold bars... at <10mph - how fast can starving people run anyway? Whatever speed they manage to attain staggering in their weakened state, I expect they'd soon pass out and fall.

'This will kill me': Destitution doubles in five years with 3.8 million unable to meet basic needs
I'm feeling a bit peckish. Do you deliver to Telford.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm feeling a bit peckish. Do you deliver to Telford.
Only if you're willing to pay in gold bars for pumpkins, and not without a bunch of extra batteries, tent, supplies etc - that shop you bought your 48V batteries from recently, don't stock 36V! Besides, I don't sell veg. I'd be lucky to find them - behold my pumpkin patch:

Last edited:
Reactions: jimriley

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You don't need the CF feet , a pair of rachet straps are needed to hold the box firmly in place.
Thanks, I'll try that. Saves drillings into my expensive CF platform. Expensive to replace with a genuine one that is. If I manage to get to Aldi before the small stock of such things disappears, I'll test it with a heavy click and collect, marking the outline of the box to see if it moves and by how much.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My Ikea trailer has a side frames around the platform, I've looked at those boxes before, too long to fit. I could do with one about 3/4 the length.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My Ikea trailer has a side frames around the platform
That's a very useful feature of the Homcom too. Sturdy steel tubing keeps big heavy items inside the trailer. The box on CF would be for carrying PC motherboards etc. surrounded by padding and thoroughly waterproofed. They're harder to grow than pumpkins, need the right weather and nutrients (solar panels instead of leaves).

I could do with one about 3/4 the length.
710mm any good?

59cm?

96 Litre.

Outside Dimensions: 700mm x 500mm x 370mm

Product Dimensions (H)x(W)x(D):

(H)40 x (W)42 x (D)
77cm

This one's bigger than Aldi's - 175L and £33.95:

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
That's a very useful feature of the Homcom too. Sturdy steel tubing keeps big heavy items inside the trailer. The box on CF would be for carrying PC motherboards etc. surrounded by padding and thoroughly waterproofed. They're harder to grow than pumpkins, need the right weather and nutrients (solar panels instead of leaves).

710mm any good?

59cm?

96 Litre.

Outside Dimensions: 700mm x 500mm x 370mm

Product Dimensions (H)x(W)x(D):

(H)40 x (W)42 x (D)
77cm

This one's bigger than Aldi's - 175L and £33.95:

thanks, just ordered the 84l version of the first one, twice as deep. trailer is 750 x 570

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My one with a pair of ratchet straps doesn't move .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
thanks, just ordered the 84l version of the first one, twice as deep. trailer is 750 x 570
I have one of those as well for use with the large CF base, both types work for me and are fully water proof. For better visibility I have added a few strips of diamond high viz tape to the boxes.
Also rivetted a right angle ali strip to the rear to attach some rear blink mode lights also my flags for extra visibility, to many idiots on the road today.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Great! Do you mean this one? Nice find! I might go for those instead, looks like it'll fit inside the Homcom as well as the CF. I could stack two high and compress with straps. I also might forgo Aldi's bargain because I cut open a finger this morning and it won't stop gushing blood, making an Aldi shop messy.

Dimensions: W710 x D440 x H380mm

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My one with a pair of ratchet straps doesn't move .
It's compression and that high friction CF surface layer. Those pricey feet might come in handy for extremely heavy items in a box however - a big cannon ball rolling about and violently hitting the sides with much momentum for instance. But less of an issue for dense pumpkins, which of course don't grow quite as dense. Lower iron content.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Also rivetted a right angle ali strip to the rear to attach some rear blink mode lights also my flags for extra visibility, to many idiots on the road today.
Adding rear lighting for the Homcom is easy - I'd simply make an extension cable for my bike's 1800LM rear red flasher and simply clamp it to the back of the trailer. Or two.

For the CF, I was considering using these Planet X lights you drew my attention to, which I use on my rhs handlebar end - they're easy to make red and are bright:

It's easy to secure lights with Gopro-style mounts to a platform, one way or another, and in many ways:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
For us with trailers, this cheap wheeled big box might be worth considering. Available from 26th October, while stocks last!

So I got one of these.. But currently have no trailer, my initial plan was to ebay a local kiddy trailer to rob the axel, wheels and tow bar from, having seen similar done in a utube vid some time ago.. Hell i just asked a neighbor who shops at aldi if he sees one and is up for it to pick me one up I didnt expect him to drag his mrs n kids round there specially for me first opportunity, but here we are...

So is the ebay-hackaday a viable option, or would the collective wisdom in here suggest an alternative solution?

Im not planning any long distance survival juants, just the occasional larger local-ish pick up that is currently beyond the bikes capacity. perhaps a big supermarket shop, not done one of those for years ;)

and can anyone signpost me to need to know info on bike trailers Ive towed with a car and lorry but never a bike and anything i have towed has had brakes too.

can trailers be motorised within regs, of course they can be.. ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers