Aldi bike stuf, Thu 16 July

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Lidl Bike Stuff as well

Lidl are in on the cycling stuff act as well on Thursday 23rd July. We found their cycling jackets and jerseys great value last year (along with the under saddle toolkit). Will be going for gloves this time I think. The items aren't up on their website yet but are in the instore catalogues.

Mike

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for both these alerts.

Here's my subjective experiences to date (0 = worst 10 = Best):

Aldi footpump 1
Aldi Sports Glasses 5
Lidl Sports Glasses 8
Aldi Track pump 1
Aldi winter gloves 9
Aldi Fingerless Gloves 5
Aldi Bike Lift 9
Aldi mini pump 6
Aldi Triangle Bag 5

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for both these alerts.

Here's my subjective experiences to date (0 = worst 10 = Best):

Aldi footpump 1
Aldi Sports Glasses 5
Lidl Sports Glasses 8
Aldi Track pump 1
Aldi winter gloves 9
Aldi Fingerless Gloves 5
Aldi Bike Lift 9
Aldi mini pump 6
Aldi Triangle Bag 5
+ pretty decent, reasonably priced baked beans :D
bw
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aldi depresses me, the lack of choice of everything reminds me of WW2 and rationing. I prefer to have the full benefits of our modern age of plentiful choice.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Aldi depresses me, the lack of choice of everything reminds me of WW2 and rationing. I prefer to have the full benefits of our modern age of plentiful choice.
Too much choice can be a bad thing. Last year I had no idea what I needed or how much I needed to spend. Lidl and Aldi were the perfect places to shop, basic items at a budget price.
If I use something enough to break it then I know it is worth spending money on a better replacement and I have the experience to make a good educated choice.
I still make mistakes, but I have reduced the cost of those mistakes a lot. Plus some of the Aldi and Lidl stuff is good enough to carry on using a lot, I have been very impressed with some bits just as others have been useless to me.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I was thinking of the food side, following on from Musicbooks mention of their baked beans. There I'd rather not let Aldi dictate what I eat.
Yes, I'm not keen on that side of it either so I just go in for the specials when I'm after something.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I think this is going off tangent but......you can save a lot of money on the none UK versions of food,if you can make out whats in the box/can/bag.When I get time I some times buy that sort of stuff then move on to my local Waitrose.Any way being in Lidl makes me feel like Im on holiday,especially as hardly any of the staff in Crowthorne speak good English..............

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Flecc. Look at the bigger picture - Aldis and Lidls are just part of the choice. Plus they wouldn't have lasted long in WW2.:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc. Look at the bigger picture - Aldis and Lidls are just part of the choice. Plus they wouldn't have lasted long in WW2.:D
I'm not objecting to their presence, the more the better, just the depressing effect of their "choice of one" food selection.

I heard the Aldi chief executive on the BBC's Working Luch recently, and it was interesting that he said they don't have the lowest prices, just what they feel is the best compromise between price and quality.

I don't like the present scene where they are all going for low prices, even Waitrose which I walked out of recently in disgust at the absence of some quality lines and masses of cut price stuff.

Do they think everyone is suffering recession effect, the chumps? In fact only a tiny proportion of the country is and a much larger proportion have enough buying power to not be concerned by how much anything costs. Yet they still insist on catering for the minority.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I'm not objecting to their presence, the more the better, just the depressing effect of their "choice of one" food selection.

I heard the Aldi chief executive on the BBC's Working Luch recently, and it was interesting that he said they don't have the lowest prices, just what they feel is the best compromise between price and quality.

I don't like the present scene where they are all going for low prices, even Waitrose which I walked out of recently in disgust at the absence of some quality lines and masses of cut price stuff.

Do they think everyone is suffering recession effect, the chumps? In fact only a tiny proportion of the country is and a much larger proportion have enough buying power to not be concerned by how much anything costs. Yet they still insist on catering for the minority.
You feeling frisky tonight, Flecc? :D

I can't imagine you'll find many Aldi shoppers in Waitrose, even with the cut price bargains...or vice versa. Wouldn't it be great though to see all those blue rinse aristograns and retired Colonel Mustards fighting with the estate drug barons over the unbranded canolet beans.:D

bw
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't imagine you'll find many Aldi shoppers in Waitrose,

bw
musicbooks
I've been from one to the other and it seems Bigbee has too, judging from this post of his.

Where I am we had no large supermarket for many years and then suddenly got new Sainsburys, Waitrose and Aldi in quick succession, all near to each other, so that probably means more inclination to try all out amongst the locals. The Waitrose doesn't impress me though, there's more quality stuff in Sainsburys.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008

I only go in there to check the bike stuff out - honest :eek: . Now Sainsburys bicycle section really is depressing.:(
Also apart from a couple of star purchases I've found you can't beat quality items from the internet and the local bike shops. Some of that Aldi stuff looks good but falls to bits when you try to use it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never seen a Sainsburys bike section, do any of them really have such a thing? :D

I agree on the bike stuff, internet or LBS is best, lots of choice and price ranges and overall better quality.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
I've never seen a Sainsburys bike section, do any of them really have such a thing? :D

Yep - it's a couple of kids bells, couple of bike 'dumbell spanners' and a odd puncture outfit if my memory serves me correct.

Going back to Lidl - my wife and I rate their cycling jackets at 8 on the Barnowl scale and I agree the Aldi cycling gloves were only 5 at the start (VERY tight even the large size) but wouldn't be without them now they've stretched to my hand. Buying Lidl pair for Mrs A, who fell off her 'hired' bike around Lake Garda (not looking at gravel on road - only going slowly thank goodness). If she'd have had them then it would have saved a nasty little wound on her palm (something on the bike did it - not the tarmac!).

Mike

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes, apart from some cheap plastic cycle pumps, inner tubes, some hi-vis bits and kids helmets that's about it. Given their size compared to Lidl & Aldis you'd think they'd make a bit more effort. Same goes for Tescos.

Those gloves are tight. I tend to wear my Trek ones now (bought in a sale at the LBS for a fiver and very well padded). I also have a secondary use for the gloves - to save scuff marks on the frame when parking the bike.