Aldi have some decent bikes in that would make for good conversions

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
A super shark on the mountain bike would "probably" fit!
I would make a cardboard template before buying the battery, make sure you can get it in and out of the frame easily. I have several EM3ev Super Sharks, great batteries but long in length

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The MTB has the stupid modern tiny chain wheel in one of the photos, so might not be suitable for either hub or crank motor. It looks like a different one in the close-up.

andrewgardner

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2009
The MTB has the stupid modern tiny chain wheel in one of the photos, so might not be suitable for either hub or crank motor. It looks like a different one in the close-up.
Mountain bike at £310

folding bike at £260

They will sell quickly but a new bike with a bafang or a tongsheng for ~£800 sounds good!
Can you fit a hub motor when the forks have no dropouts , I think the Barracuda has through axels.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Can you fit a hub motor when the forks have no dropouts , I think the Barracuda has through axels.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
One size fits all. Woot.
It does claim the 'Frame design lends itself to being adjustable to a wide height range from 5'6" up to over 6'.
As someone in the over 6' category, I can definitely say it's not going to fit me in any sort of comfort - battery-powered or otherwise.

"Race into the unknown with the Barracuda Mountain Bike. "
I think that's a fair summary. ;)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Those sort of bikes look just the thing to put off those who buy them from ever wanting to cycle again.

Something that looks like a bike but in all practical senses can turn out to be a dog to ride - what one might describe as a Bicycle Like Object.

Having said that, buyers may be inspired to move on to other more rideable machines, so not a bad thing.

Reactions: Croxden

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Many years ago, when I returned to biking, I to was taken with an Aldi bike.
It looked better than it was, most troublesome, so I had a refund and bought a Gary Fischer. At twice the price but I ran that for years, and it's still going by the guy I sold it to.

Reactions: Bikes4two

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Bicycle Like Object.
I've heard it as Bicycle Shaped Object (BSO). Maybe depends where you live or what sort of cycling you do?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Those bikes are OK for what they are, but not very good for conversion. If you want to convert something, older bikes are better.