Aldi HD Action Camera?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
OK, regarding the Hitachi HDSV01U it seems to perform well apart from one issue that I will go into later.

The issue I have is the delete function does not seem to work which means that I have to resort to removing the SD card and deleting via a computer. I have tried this with a couple of cards and the result has been the same. If anyone else has one of these, I would be interested to hear if they have the same probllem.

Hi John,
Mrs Claus has now been and I've had a play. Managed to delete directly from the Hitachi camera. Assuming you got to the delete function, once del is displayed, press the shutter button again and the led will flash red. Use the function button to get to the esc function and then exit the function mode. Everything should now be deleted. HTH;)

C

Cyclezee

Hi Phil,

My Hitachi clearly had a fault as despite following the instruction to the letter, I could not delete from the camera. I took it back to Argos and was in two minds about about getting it replaced, but I will stick with the Sony for now.

I'm glad to hear that yours is working OK.

Still need more practice, I have cured the fogging problem, but need to stop the wind noise when riding( nothing to do with Brussel sprouts), some tape over the mic should cure that.

The picture quality is good, but it loses so much when uploaded to YouTube .

Here is another sample from this afternoon CMK to New Bradwell 25_12-2013 - YouTube

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi John.
Hope your xmas is going well.

When you posted the Sony video you described the original as being 1080i - Did you mean 1080p or is 1080i max. resolution for that cam?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Pete,

I got it wrong, should have been 1080p, not 1080i.

According to Sony, it is capable of the following movie resolution.

1920×1080/60P(PS),1920×1080/30P(HQ),1280×720/30P(STD,SLOW,SSLOW), 640×480/30P(VGA).

How did the Peppa Pig bed go down? ;)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Roaring success :0)

We are at the daughter's for Crimbo so th3 girls are sleeping: one in the house & one on the roof.

I'd be interested to see some footage at 1080p 60fps. That should be smear free at speed.

C

Cyclezee

Roaring success :0)

I'd be interested to see some footage at 1080p 60fps. That should be smear free at speed.
Just wish I could upload at 1080p 60fps, but can't get round it with the iMovie software that I am using to upload to YouTube.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Just wish I could upload at 1080p 60fps, but can't get round it with the iMovie software that I am using to upload to YouTube.
Could you upload it to something like dropbox, and share it? You would keep the original file resolution and settings then:)

C

Cyclezee

Could you upload it to something like dropbox, and share it? You would keep the original file resolution and settings then:)
Hi Phil,

I already use Dropbox for business purposes to share photos, documents etc. with other eZee suppliers and want to keep that separate as these videos are really just for fun.
I did try uploading to Flickr and got this bizarre message in a Long John Silver stylee, "Arr matey, this be over-size."
They have a 3.98 Gb limit, but it may be OK for shorter clips.

Anyway, play time over for the time being, I'm back to work today.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Hi Phil,

I already use Dropbox for business purposes to share photos, documents etc. with other eZee suppliers and want to keep that separate as these videos are really just for fun.
I did try uploading to Flickr and got this bizarre message in a Long John Silver stylee, "Arr matey, this be over-size."
They have a 3.98 Gb limit, but it may be OK for shorter clips.

Anyway, play time over for the time being, I'm back to work today.
Aaahharrr, that be the way o' it;) Piratz is pop'lurr, thank our lucky staahaarrs!:rolleyes:

tony6403

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2009
I'm thinking of getting one of these cameras for my bike.
Does anyone know if , by getting some sort of universal mount/dock, they can work as an in-car camera too?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Tony,

You don't specify which one, but most come with mounts to fit to a car dashboard or they are available as an optional extra, so the answer is yes, but you need to check before buying.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Morning Tony,

For in-car use, check that your choice has the ability to start recording when the car's ignition is turned on & supports looped recording, or it'll shut-down when the memory gets full.

peter_w

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2014
hi folks,
I just discovered this forum - lucky meee - in the middle of my new dilemma : a decent camera for ski and bike. It should be up to some 45-50quid.
First I was looking at the ACT20, then understood from you that the SJ1000 and the F9 are better in many terms.
Now, the SJ1000 has a narrower only a 90 degree FOV (and more expensive) but has a waterproof case, while the F9 has 120FOV and not waterproof. Is the Sj1000 easily wearable ?
What is it true from what I said and which is recommendable ? Is the narrower FOV so important (as a -) ?
what other properties make them better upon the other ?
Is the h.264 fromat viewable on android phones (jelly beans)?
here are the ebay links I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-HD-1080P-Mini-Waterproof-Sports-DVR-Video-Recorder-Outdoor-Action-Camera-F9-/261303410907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6e5a0db

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SJ1000-Black-HD-1080P-Sports-Helmet-DV-Dash-Car-Camera-12M-H-264-Waterproof-DV-/281221991573?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item417a230c95

I'll much appreciate your help,
Peter

C

Cyclezee

hi folks,
I just discovered this forum - lucky meee - in the middle of my new dilemma : a decent camera for ski and bike. It should be up to some 45-50quid.
First I was looking at the ACT20, then understood from you that the SJ1000 and the F9 are better in many terms.
Now, the SJ1000 has a narrower only a 90 degree FOV (and more expensive) but has a waterproof case, while the F9 has 120FOV and not waterproof. Is the Sj1000 easily wearable ?
What is it true from what I said and which is recommendable ? Is the narrower FOV so important (as a -) ?
what other properties make them better upon the other ?
Is the h.264 fromat viewable on android phones (jelly beans)?
here are the ebay links I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-HD-1080P-Mini-Waterproof-Sports-DVR-Video-Recorder-Outdoor-Action-Camera-F9-/261303410907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6e5a0db

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SJ1000-Black-HD-1080P-Sports-Helmet-DV-Dash-Car-Camera-12M-H-264-Waterproof-DV-/281221991573?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item417a230c95

I'll much appreciate your help,
Peter
Hi peter_w,

In that price range I would go for the Hitachi HDSV01U, but there are a couple of issues to bear in mind.

Despite it being a good performer and coming with a good range of accessories, no replacement batteries are available. That basically means when the battery eventually dies, so does the camera. I bought one but returned it because of a minor fault and the fact that it is not Mac compatible.

The bottom line is compared to GoPro or similar, it is a bargain.

Available here for £49.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636417.htm

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi peter_w,

In that price range I would go for the Hitachi HDSV01U, but there are a couple of issues to bear in mind.

Despite it being a good performer and coming with a good range of accessories, no replacement batteries are available. That basically means when the battery eventually dies, so does the camera. I bought one but returned it because of a minor fault and the fact that it is not Mac compatible.

The bottom line is compared to GoPro or similar, it is a bargain.

Available here for £49.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636417.htm
I think maybe you can get a replacement battery
http://www.youtube.com/user/jonnyg301/videos
I just need to think of a reason to get one of these

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
You can get vlc for android now, MX player is also good both play everything I throw at them.

I'm seeing lots of veho cameras on ebay for £30-40 anyone know about them?

peter_w

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2014
Thanks, but I need one in that price range including shipping to Israel. ..
Only on ebay I found prices with free shipping. From local stores that
is the price only for pick up.
It's not clear yet what resolution is the image sensor at F9 and SJ1000.
And whether is viewable on android phones (S2, S3).
Should ACT35 be an alternative?