Aldi HD Action Camera?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Wow, glad I don't live there.........

Here's another form of suicide, shot with the Sony.
Some nutter with the Sony HDR-AS30V camera "lane splitting".

Sorry, I know it's a motorbike and not a push bike, but it shows the GPS overlay capability of the new Sony cam for about £225. The 1080P video quality is pretty good too. Nice and steady. The map overlay could be good with a cycle ride video, showing map position synchronized to the POV.

(worrying to think there's people like this whizzing past you when you're sitting in a traffic jam though).....

[video=youtube;oE2jimk1Gm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_449463183&feature=iv&src_vid=4Q7eY0fTrGw&v=oE2jimk1Gm4[/video]
Ah; how that takes me back. Ten years of doing exactly that on the M25, M1, M6 five days a week. Never had so much as a scratch from it, either.
It's only worrying when you're not on the bike - bear in mind the gaps are much larger than they appear and good throttle control is your friend, not an enemy. As are good brakes, of course.
Life is nothing without risk - else why bother getting out of bed?

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Christmas has come early ;)

Got my Drift Ghost-S yesterday and took it out for a ride through Manchester's rush hour. Er, and yes, i jump a red light early on, by mistake though, it wasnt intentional, i was too busy watching the car and bus. Video quality is exceptional before YouTube gets hold of it, especially considering it was fully dark when i set off:

[video=youtube_share;VyfV61_MAx0]http://youtu.be/VyfV61_MAx0[/video]

D

Deleted member 4366

It seems to be out of focus a lot of the time. Does it have an auto-focus setting? Is it the same in daylight? I don't think the focus thing is caused by Youtube. If you watch the video on Youtube, you can see it in 1080P.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've not tried it in daylight, but the focus is fine on the original files. I havent tweaked them in any way and YouTube is really killing it. I can easily read the numberplates and road signs on the original.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Hi all,

Just got my F9 Mini up and running. Performed an initial test video and all seems to be working thus far.

I have a problem viewing it on the laptop though. Windows Media Player says I need a 'codec' installed to run the video. It says it wants an Intel ITU H.264 (H264) whatever that is. Windows 'Help' is suggesting that downloading a codec will explode the laptop and everyone will die!!

Is this normal, and can any of you video buffs suggest a safe download source? Perhaps I have just lost the plot, again!

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Another one, with some better lit footage at the beginning in the work bike park:

[video=youtube;NpDJfRiGVe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDJfRiGVe4&feature=share&list=UUKmcF3gDYyLZ_kAXXseUR4w[/video]

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Beat you to it, Eaglerider :)

St Austell Right of way - YouTube
My first incident with the new F9 helmet cam.

The woman driver clearly regarded me as an irresponsible bicycle-riding Hooligan :p

The cam seems to sort-out exposure pretty quickly when going from shadow to sunlight etc, which is pretty good, but the helmet mount needs a bit of fettling to get rid of the shakes: I'm going to try the shoulder mount - see if that helps.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I lie - This was my first incident with the new camera, but hardly worth mentioning :rolleyes:

Car & Trailer at Carluddon - YouTube

I saw the car & trailer hanging back for the first vehicle to get past, then he passed me right at the narrowest point on that road, just as the second vehicle was adjacent :confused:

D

Deleted member 4366

You guys must be doing something wrong. If you pause either of your videos, nearly every frame is out of focus. Compare it with this £50 Chinese one, where when you pause it, you can see that it's pretty well focused across the whole frame.

Lap of Redbridge Cycle Track - YouTube

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
You guys must be doing something wrong. If you pause either of your videos, nearly every frame is out of focus. Compare it with this £50 Chinese one, where when you pause it, you can see that it's pretty well focused across the whole frame.

Lap of Redbridge Cycle Track - YouTube

This might be a red herring, but is the blurring caused by some of the youtube conversions from PAL to NTSC ?

I read somewhere that if video is converted from PAL at 25fps and then converted to NTSC at 30fps, most of the frames are then interpolated, causing the blurriness.

(Maybe it was the other way round, but I'm sure I read it somewhere !)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
My uploads on youtube apear to be stuck at 480p:

Changing settings to 1080p doesn't make any difference to the quality, or lack of.

Oh well - Can't be bothered with it: Got better things to do...

D

Deleted member 4366

Mine was uploaded to Youtube too, so it would've had the same conversion. Maybe the others are blurred because they jump about more when helmet mounted. Mine was on the handlebars, hence the noise.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Hi all,

Just got my F9 Mini up and running. Performed an initial test video and all seems to be working thus far.

I have a problem viewing it on the laptop though. Windows Media Player says I need a 'codec' installed to run the video. It says it wants an Intel ITU H.264 (H264) whatever that is. Windows 'Help' is suggesting that downloading a codec will explode the laptop and everyone will die!!

Is this normal, and can any of you video buffs suggest a safe download source? Perhaps I have just lost the plot, again!
Download a codec pack from
Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.5 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.5 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.5 BASIC

<edit>
I see you had already, but I'll leave this in for anyone who needs it.

Last edited: