ALDI - Winter Cycling Deals

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
I may be a bit of a fraud (no electric bike and no SEAT Altea anymore) but you still need to know if great deals are to be had.

I can vouch for the SPD shoes, winter trousers and socks, still using mine a year later, great VFM, overshoes are poor, cap is ok.

Think I'll get another pair of shoes and winter gloves this time.

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 17th September 2009

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
You're right where would we be without those great deals at Aldis. :rolleyes: Can't believe it's been 12 months since the last winter give away. Winter gloves for me as well. I lost one. Nice to see you're still around. :)

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
You're right where would we be without those great deals at Aldis. :rolleyes: Can't believe it's been 12 months since the last winter give away. Winter gloves for me as well. I lost one. Nice to see you're still around. :)
The older you get the faster it seems to go :( , I mean the older 'we get', did not mean to be personal.

Last edited:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to slow down and the last 30 trying to speed up.

.....Mike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Does any one know how generous the alde XL size is?:eek:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Those shoes were quite good but I found they were a bit short in the toe area and not quite the size stated, the Mountain bike style they (might be lidl) do seems much better and are better to walk in.
I kitted out in Aldi this time last year and most of their kit works very well, the soft shell is great and keeps me warm enough until the temperature drops below freezing. The hard shell leaks like a sieve but I think most do, what it does is keep me so warm that I hardly ever put it on.
I found the gloves slightly disappointing as they get very heavy and cold when wet but for the money they are good. The trousers are very good but not very modest and the zips are a bit weak.

Oh, the sizing of the winter stuff I found was definately a snug fit. :D
Overshoes are well worth it if you ride in the cold and wet but these ones are a bit rubbish, Endura overshoes are lovely and warm and cost about £20.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oh, the sizing of the winter stuff I found was definitely a snug fit. :D
Yes the sizing of this stuff generally must be for Koreans/Japanese market:D

I got some shorts from SJS which said 44 inch....Now M&S 44 fits OK, but these things with the padded lycra inners may have been fine if riding a horse! I was walking around bandy legged......snug was an understatement:eek:

in all seriousness I need to get something as i am trying to get out every day and a 10 mile ride is very uncomfortable in normal gear......

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes the sizing of this stuff generally must be for Koreans/Japanese market:D
I've found that too with oriental clothing, but German clothing I've always found the opposite, anything I've bought seems to be far too big for the size ordered and labelled.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Like most others I found the Summer Aldi fingerless gloves ridiculously small for the sizes stated. However the winter gloves sold last year seemed just right. Not the best winter gloves in the world but fine for somone like me who bottles out at about 2 degrees C and gets in the car.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Decathlon

I was in Decathlon in Stockport a few weeks ago and they had very reasonable cycleware in size 3X.

Conal

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Conal - good to hear from you. Hope you enjoyed the Exmoor ride as much as I did! Just about perfect, I thought. :)

Andy

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I was in Decathlon in Stockport a few weeks ago and they had very reasonable cycleware in size 3X.

Conal
Yes, looks very reasonable....will try and get over to the docklands store.

looking at their size chart I only need XL :eek: thank you very much:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes, looks very reasonable....will try and get over to the docklands store.

looking at their size chart I only need XL :eek: thank you very much:)
went to Decathlon at the weekend and got some cheap shorts (needed 2XL:D ) and fingerless padded gloves. Both have made a tremendous difference to my cycling this week:)

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Aldi Stores

On the subject of Aldi/Lidl stores - last Thursday I had my first visit to an Aldi store which was selling well priced cycling gear and a weird experience it was too.

I rolled up to the store just north of Glasgow city centre at about 8.50am and as I turned the corner I saw a sort of cyclists gathering . . . a scaled down Tour de France . . . with the drugs taken out and replaced with fags and beer. Cyclists of all shapes and sizes milling around waiting for the manager to open the door.

When he finally did open up, there was a strange sort of "dignified sprinting" (remember when walking was a sporting event??) by everyone towards the cycling gear. Man, they were like piranhas - within 2 minutes (and I mean 2 minutes) the racks with X and XL size jackets were completely bare leaving only one or two Med and some Small - this is fine if you're Jimmy Krankie, or you want to dress up your Barbie in a cycling kit, but for the rest of us, it's not much use. I heard a lady plaintively asking the manager if there were more in the back but he said that was the complete stock.
I did pick up a pair of gloves (a few quid) which never go amiss but that was about it. The moral of the story is to let you, the un-initiated, know that if you think you can saunter along to the Aldi/Lidl stores and pick up a bargain - beware! You need to be there early and ideally get some scrum and sprint training in before you go.

Having said all this, if you've got a spare quid on you, you can always buy about 20 gallons of German packed apple juice/apfelsaft . . .

Rab C

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
In any given area, there is often an Aldidl store that seems to never sell out of bargain offers, so it's worth taking a tour around them.
In my area there's a backwater Aldi where I'll usually find special offers from a month ago, whereas the other stores were descended upon by the gannets.