Alfine hub with BBS02?

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I am building a BBS02 36v 500w motor into a hardtail Kona frame. At the moment I am running a 36 tooth Precialps Chainwheel at the front & an 8 speed11 to 30 cassette & a old style (but as new) 8 speed XT mech. Chain line is not good, the chain wheel is in line with 7th gear. The rear wheel came with the frame & is not decent quality. To buy a Mach 1 wheel to match the front one plus a 42 tooth Bling Ring & 11 to 34 cassette which may or may not run with the current mech will cost around £140.
I can buy an 8 speed Alfine hub with changer etc. Built into a Mavic 317 or 319 rim for under £220 delivered from Taylor Wheels in Germany.
Have any of you any experience of running this hub with a BBS02?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Fine with the 01. Some issues changing under power but relatively minor.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I notice when the Alfine is fitted as an OEM unit, it is always with the lower torque motors, especialy the Bosch CD motors.

So I guess you will have to be carefull with the gearing, otherwise there is a good chance of mashing the gears.

More money, but the Nuvinci would be a better option, or even more money still would be the Rohloff, which is good for 100nm of torque, and would also give a fantastic gear range.

• Agree
Reactions: D8ve

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I would choose the Nexus 8 which is reported to be stronger but Taylor Wheels don't use the premium version which has the roller bearings for better shifting under load.
I`ve had the Alfine 8 hub from Taylor Wheels since the summer time with no problems, running a BBS02 750W at 22 amps (pic below).

Good info here..
https://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

Shimano Alfine-8

The Alfine line of Shimano IGH’s (pronounced “all-FEE-nay”) could be described as having the Shimano Nexus guts…with upgrades.

All Alfine hubs have needle bearings to reduce friction, and…they also have a robust set of roller-clutches instead of pawls, so…when coasting unpowered, these hubs are just about as silent as it is physically possible. Another feature that makes the Alfine more expensive is that the “wide range” 2-speed gear-set uses helical teeth, in order to make shifting under load easier. They achieve 8-speeds by coupling a 2-speed along aside a 4-speed.

and if you`ve got horizontal dropouts you won`t need that tensioner

P1000530.JPG

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Thanks for that Tommie. I hadn't seen that article before. By the way, how long was delivery from Taylor Wheels?
Cheers Steve.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I went with the Nuvinci 360 (been looking for a wile and luckily a built wheel with one fitted came up on here for sale so I had to buy it!).

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I`ve had the Alfine 8 hub from Taylor Wheels since the summer time with no problems, running a BBS02 750W at 22 amps (pic below).

Good info here..
https://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

Shimano Alfine-8

The Alfine line of Shimano IGH’s (pronounced “all-FEE-nay”) could be described as having the Shimano Nexus guts…with upgrades.

All Alfine hubs have needle bearings to reduce friction, and…they also have a robust set of roller-clutches instead of pawls, so…when coasting unpowered, these hubs are just about as silent as it is physically possible. Another feature that makes the Alfine more expensive is that the “wide range” 2-speed gear-set uses helical teeth, in order to make shifting under load easier. They achieve 8-speeds by coupling a 2-speed along aside a 4-speed.

and if you`ve got horizontal dropouts you won`t need that tensioner

View attachment 17358
Has your chain ever slipped on the rear sprocket using that setup?, mines the same as yours but seems like not enough chain engagement.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Not slipping so far - thats an 18t rear cog on there and i try to have the chain as tight as possible so theres more links seated on the cog. However i have a 16T cog sat here and just looking at it i can see there won`t be as many teeth in contact with the cog, and possibly a chance of it jumping - don`t know.
Don`t think Alfine recommend anything smaller than 18T?

Reactions: KeithMac

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Taylor Wheels sold me a cheaper wheel, with shipping, than I could find locally. However I did have to have it trued by the LBS after a 100 km or so. In the end it was still better quality/price ratio than in the big blue box store.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Not slipping so far - thats an 18t rear cog on there and i try to have the chain as tight as possible so theres more links seated on the cog. However i have a 16T cog sat here and just looking at it i can see there won`t be as many teeth in contact with the cog, and possibly a chance of it jumping - don`t know.
Don`t think Alfine recommend anything smaller than 18T?
The Alfine s510 tensioner is for 16 to 23 tooth sprockets

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Ran BBS02 with Alfine 11 and now Rohloff, both excellent but because of the torque issue it's nice and safe to keep the chainring to sprocket ratio way above 2, both have to be backed off to changed. I thought long about the new Nuvinci 380 as no backing off required, but weight, cost, longevity unknown etc. Currently running 52/16 on the rohloff which gives range of 0.91 to 4.71 which is good for flats and hills.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Rohloff should be very reliable for you. I went Nuvinci just to try it out really, thought the design was interesing.

mike barnard

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2016
selsdon,surrey
I am building a BBS02 36v 500w motor into a hardtail Kona frame. At the moment I am running a 36 tooth Precialps Chainwheel at the front & an 8 speed11 to 30 cassette & a old style (but as new) 8 speed XT mech. Chain line is not good, the chain wheel is in line with 7th gear. The rear wheel came with the frame & is not decent quality. To buy a Mach 1 wheel to match the front one plus a 42 tooth Bling Ring & 11 to 34 cassette which may or may not run with the current mech will cost around £140.
I can buy an 8 speed Alfine hub with changer etc. Built into a Mavic 317 or 319 rim for under £220 delivered from Taylor Wheels in Germany.
Have any of you any experience of running this hub with a BBS02?
I use a Bewo 48 volt 350 watt motor with an 8 speed Alfine hub from Taylor wheels ,I have been using it for about a year now mostly off road with no problems . I fitted a 2 tooth larger sprocket, the whole kit is fitted into a Rock Lobster frame and is a joy to ride