Alien hub motor question

stevew

Pedelecer
I know some if you have used this hub motor unit and as it's so well priced I am considering using the 24volt, 20" wheel version for my Pashley Tri-1 trike. I am building it up as a semi-commercial load carrier. In so much as I run a small cycle repair business and need to carry tools and various bits to my customer's premises.
What I'm partially interested in is it's power as opposed to it's speed.
How well does it cope with hills ?
How well does it haul loads ?
What sort of range are you getting ?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm also considering the Cyclone 350w unit but I'm finding it hard if not impossible to contact anyone in the UK who will sell me one.
So please if you have knowledge of this unit I would love to know how it compares with the Alien hub system. Whilst i appreciate that they are both very different I am concerned about things like the waterproofness (spelling !) of the Cyclone where it is mounted.
As before, any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

gary Gadget

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2008
I have the Cyclone 250/350watt unit fitted to a standard Halfords “off the shelf” bike. I too read about the water ingress issues and have added a bit of silicon sealant to the cable entry to the motor as this was the only place I could find that looked like it would let in water. I also made sure this was at the lowest point facing down as one review I ready showed the motor turned up so water pooled onto and run down the cables to the rubber cable grommet on the motor. I use the bike in all weather and have been utterly soaked on a few occasions recently; leaving home to work in the sunshine and returning from work in a bloody thunderstorm seems to be the norm for July nowadays. I have done nearly 600 miles or 100 journeys so far and the motor and throttle (had problems with Wisper throttle and controller and water ingress before) are looking as good as when I fitted them. I have had to do nothing in the way of repairs or adjustment it just seems to work, with only a bit of an oil and a clean every week or so.

Bottom line is I would recommend it, but advise it is different from a hubbie ebike and is probably down to personal preference and has different strengths and weaknesses. On the plus side it uses the bike gears so is a strong climber and feels faster than a hub motor possible due to the freewheel and its lack of drag past 15 MPH. When fitted it still looks like a normal bike (I usually have to point out the motor when asked) it is good with extra weight, again due to the use of the bikes gears, it is cheaper. Minuses are it is a bit noisier, you also need to match the gear with the conditions, It is throttle only (as far as I know no Pedelc option) takes a little more effort in fitting, you will have to source your own battery and almost everyone thinks they are old hat and hub motors are best, so be prepared for no end of arguments over why you chose that “old type of kit” and Hub motors are the better….. if you go for one :D

gary Gadget

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2008
As to supply - good old ebay, I also have seen a UK seller and will look up the site when I get home and post a link for you (Ebay will be cheaper!)

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I don't know about the 24v 20" Alien kit in particular but have experience of the 36v 26" and I would recommend it. My main experience is using this in derestriced mode - I found that when it was delivered it would only assist up to about 12 mph and power was weak apart from at extremely low speeds..

Hill climbing is good within the rpm range where the motor has most power (on my bike the power delivery seems to be highest between 0-17 mph) and after that drops of heavily. I never change out of top gear (I don't know the gear ratio but it must be quite a high gear because it allows me to peddle up to 35mph). I typically go up 1/10 hills with very slow pedalling, not exerting myself at all at 15-16 mph.

Battery life is hard to say because I generally pedal lightly on most of the journeys - doing this I get 25-30 miles. I did 10 miles into high headwinds and this put a drain on the battery like it was climbing a constant hill at about 15mph and the battery did get drained faster but still got me home another 10 miles at the end of the day.

My friend is ordering a 20" motor from him but is going to wait for the 36volt versions hes getting in August.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Steve. I know that Tony Castles has fitted the Cyclone motor in the past, and a check of his Mr Motorvator site shows that he is listing the Cyclone there, so possible after all.

Pedelec is possible with the Cyclone, there's an optional add-on for that.
They call it P.A.S. and it's shown on this webpage.

stevew

Pedelecer
My friend is ordering a 20" motor from him but is going to wait for the 36volt versions hes getting in August.
That's good news because that would be the one I would prefer. Do you have a phone number for Bob of Alien because although he answered my first email he's not replied since !!

stevew

Pedelecer
Hi Steve. I know that Tony Castles has fitted the Cyclone motor in the past, and a check of his Mr Motorvator site shows that he is listing the Cyclone there, so possible after all.

Unfortunately he doesn't answer any communication (phone or email) so I can only assume he's not interested in business !!

How come it's so hard to spend money with these Ebike guys ??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately he doesn't answer any communication (phone or email) so I can only assume he's not interested in business !!

How come it's so hard to spend money with these Ebike guys ??
He's a great guy, but businessman he's not, more a hobbyist for cash! Communications are always a problem with him since he buries himself in work, and it took me well over a month to buy a particular charger from him once. At present I believe he's struggling to meet demand for the Brompton Nano conversions and I see a multi product web page is just shown as "sold out" without specifying what is sold out. :D

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
That's good news because that would be the one I would prefer. Do you have a phone number for Bob of Alien because although he answered my first email he's not replied since !!
No I don't sorry. He did that with me too before I'd bought something (answered first couple of emails quick and then didn't get a reply to subsequent ones). If you've bought a bike from him the support is good though.

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Have to chime in in support for Bob from Alien. My own experience is that he's been exceptionally helpful both pre and post sale. On the one occasion he took 24 hours to respond to an email he apologised (and it was due to computer problems anyway!)

stevew

Pedelecer
Have to chime in in support for Bob from Alien. My own experience is that he's been exceptionally helpful both pre and post sale. On the one occasion he took 24 hours to respond to an email he apologised (and it was due to computer problems anyway!)
I hope that's the case here as well but I've sent him four emails, the first on the 9th, and the rest after that and still no reply. I am assuming that he is away or that something has gone wrong with the technology and am waiting with baited breath !!
I'm trying to spend 400 pounds !!
BTW have you got a phone number for him ?

stevew

Pedelecer
Perhaps Bob of Alien will read this.
May be that my emails are not getting through. If anyone communicates with him please pass on my phone number (07748 655201 text is OK) so he can reach me and I can spend my money !!
It all happens at one doesn't it ?
Computer has gone "poof" now and I need a new power supply !!

Tsnafu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2008
Perhaps Bob of Alien will read this.
May be that my emails are not getting through. If anyone communicates with him please pass on my phone number (07748 655201 text is OK) so he can reach me and I can spend my money !!
I'm writing to him now, I'll include your phone number.

Bob is a good guy, I'm sure he will get in touch

Tom

stevew

Pedelecer
Thanks Tom,
I'm now in touch and it seems almost sure that it wasn't Bob's fault.
I think there was something wrong with my email settings.
Sorry Bob !!

So back to the original question. Will the 20" 24v kit do for my trike ( Pashley Cycles - Tri-1 Adult Tricycle ) as a load carrier ?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although it's not the most powerful of options Steve, the matter of front wheel traction will be important. A front powered trike can very easily spin the front wheel, especially uphill or when towing, so there's a limit to how much power you can have anyway. A Crystalyte motor in the front would be very difficult to restrain as Jeremy in here found on his recumbent, so he went for the Tongxin Nano instead.