Alienocean 36v 26" front hub kit + Li-Ion battery

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Alienocean 36v 26" front hub kit + Li-Ion battery - SOLD

Well as I have purchased a dedicated ebike I am kinda thinking about selling this. I initially thought I would sell it on ebay but thought perhaps I would see if there was any interest here first.

Its a road legal AlienOcean bike kit 36v 10Ah for a 26" wheel. Its basically about 4 weeks old since I put it in my original old MTB and it got me hooked.

The bike has done about 150 miles so has about 15 charges on the battery.

THIS is the thread if your interested in how I built it. These are currently going on ebay brand new at around £450 plus delivery.

There are a few scuffs on the hub itself where I fitted and obviously the kit is used but otherwise perfect.

I was thinking about putting it up on ebay for about £350 but I guess would sell it here knocked down to about £299 plus p&p. I think its a fair price and reflects all the help I have got from this forum.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
So, what model did you go for ? :)
Cheers, Daniel

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Daniel,

You must have seen my post as you spend as much time on here as I do :p

I got a s/h Cytronex Trek 7300 off ebay. I was looking to buy a lightweight bike and a Tongxin but as this ticked all the boxes and came ready built I went for it :D

Keep posting on your thread its all interesting stuff.

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Oh, it's you ! :p

Good luck with the sale, someone will get a good bike at a reasonable price.

Cheers, Dan

Daniel,

You must have seen my post as you spend as much time on here as I do :p

I got a s/h Cytronex Trek 7300 off ebay. I was looking to buy a lightweight bike and a Tongxin but as this ticked all the boxes and came ready built I went for it :D

Keep posting on your thread its all interesting stuff.

Regards

Jerry

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Jerry - perhaps you should clarify whether the bike is included. If so, it is surely a bargain.

Here, here to your comment urging Daniel to keep us informed. I am planning to do something similar myself, so I have a vested interest.

On the subject of which... Dan, are you going to widen the Brompton fork to take the 100mm Bafang motor? If so, will this be done simply by using a big bolt and some nuts (the type that go on bolts, if you see what I mean)?

Apologies for the digression, Jerry, but it adds extra publicity...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Jerry - perhaps you should clarify whether the bike is included. If so, it is surely a bargain.
Ok I thought it was generous but NOT that generous :p

The bike is NOT inlcuded lol

Its the full Alienocean kit as it came from them, including motor spoked in a 26" wheel with original new tyre, pedelec control, brakes, throttle, carrier, battery, charger etc etc. as I purchased it new 4 weeks ago.

Having said that someone at work is interested, I am trying to spread the ebike message. He is checking if he has a 26" wheel bike or not so I will update the post if its still for sale tomorrow.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Probably. I am waiting until Monday to see if a guy at work wants the whole bike.

I will update then.

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Dan, are you going to widen the Brompton fork to take the 100mm Bafang motor? If so, will this be done simply by using a big bolt and some nuts (the type that go on bolts, if you see what I mean)?
I don't want to hijack this thread, so please let's close this off-topic now :eek:

I will use a long M10 bolt (or just a threaded rod), with nuts on the inside of the fork to gradually expand the steel, hopefully uniformly for each side.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The guy at work is thinking about it over the weekend. I am away on business till Thursday (In Warrick) so won't be riding my bike into work :(

Anyway I will update the thread then, after which if no one is interested it will go on ebay.

Regards

Jerry

sanka

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Hi Jerry,
Is the kit still available? If so I've got a few questions... Is it the old kit (which used to go for £399)? What motor did it come with?
Thanks,
Sanka

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok looks like this might be up for sale after all.

sanka yes it is the pre cost hike kit i.e. cost me £399 + £20 delivery.

I think the latest kits have the new fun motor in them, though initially the original ones was shipping at the higher cost as well until stocks cleared.

You would need to check with them to see if the new motors are now shipping.

It will probably stay here for a week before I put it up on ebay. I would be prepared to sell the bike with it all fitted for about £450 ish though I am not keen to ship the whole bike.

Shipping the kit will be about £20 I think.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I enquired a couple of weeks ago about whether the Alien kits are being supplied with the new motor (and the new controller integrated in the rear frame).

I got the response that it would be 'a while' before the upgrades on the new Alien Bike make it through to the kits. Presumably Alien would want to clear old stock first before anouncing it...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The alternative is to buy a Alien Special II bike which has the new snazzy kit fitted as highlighted above.

Man I don't think my recommendation is helping me to sell this lol

Never mind its important to buy right first time or like me you end up having to sell a kit.

Then again maybe not :rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed putting the kit together and it taught me a lot about electric bikes and what I ultimately wanted.

Regards

Jerry

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
The Alien kits (and bikes) do look to offer excellent value for money.

I was very tempted as it certainly would have been a relatively easy option for something to try without blowing too much cash if it wasn't right. If you were selling your kit in a 700c wheel I probably would have bought it.

sanka

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2009
So what makes the kit not 'right' for you Jerry? I was in contact with Jim of AlienOcean and he said that the new kit has a new Bafang motor, that was one of the reasons for the recent price hike. I was tempted for a while, but £470 is quite a lot (for me) especially if the experiment fails... I'm intending to do about 35miles to work (70miles roundtrip) not sure the 10ah battery will cut it. Probably need to buy new forks as well to fit the motor :S

Is there a significant difference between to old and new motor (which I'm assuming is the QSWXB)?

Thanks,
Sanka

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I would not say it was not right. What happened was I fitted it and it got me on my bike to work.

I guess fitting it and all involved got me hooked and I read a lot more about it so started to understand I did not need such a large battery for my 10 mile round commute.

I started to look at the Tongxin motor which are less powerfull and other power options. Tongxins are almost impossible to source though. The problem is the latest batteries don't really come smaller than this 36v 10ahr. You can buy smaller or should I say lighter weight if you go down to 24v but I did not want to do that.

I then came across the Cytronex bikes which have a much smaller NiMh battery at only 4ahr and lighter at just over 2kgs and are fitted with the more discrete Tongxin motor. New Cytronex were too much. I then spotted one on Ebay and snapped it up.

For longer commutes you need a larger battery depending on how much you pedal I guess but the Cytronex is perfect for me. The Alien kit will start from standstill and you can use it much more to power all the way. I could easily not pedal the full 10 miles round commute. The Cytronex really wants you to pedal a little bit at the least.

Hope that helps. The kit was used for 4 weeks with around 150 miles.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes £450 for the whole bike inc motor fitted though as I said I am not keen to post the bike.

Its a Raliegh Datona which is in very good condition. Although about 12 years old I hardly used it. Aluminium frame full alloy fit etc. Total weight incl battery around 24-25kgs. Oh and its a 22" frame.

Here is the motor kit when I unpacked it before it was fitted.

Here is the original thread showing the kit and how I built it about 6 weeks ago.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4543-my-first-electric-bike.html?highlight=first+electric+bike#post57601

PS I guess if someone was prepared to arrange a courier to pick up the bike that would be ok.

Regards

Jerry

Attachments

Last edited: