Almost died and almost got physical later

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
i almost got killed today with a van driver not stopping at junction to main road as i was calmly carrying on in clear viewof him.. He kept coming and was coming so close to me as he approached junction i did my usual aggressive and pre-emptive sidelook of 'what the f...' Are you doing coming so close but he kept coming....!

I had to shout at this last stage as van was between 1-2 cms from hitting me when he heard me shout. I had to swerve but was lucky nobody was overtaking me at that time, as cars do.

Fortunately his window was half open so he heard me. Just. His head was facing down into his mobile phone which he had in one hand at lap level doing something such as texting or dialling. He almost killed me.. He did mouth 'sorry' as he overtook me almost immediately afterwards. twice. He dropped his phone straight away as he knew what he had almost done to me. If i had a helmet cam I think the police would have fined him based on evidence... Or cautioned him.. Do they do that?

I. then almost got into a fight with a bald youngish man in a white Rover later on who was speeding towards me in a quiet lane to work.. I did not move from middle of lane which surprised him.. I must admit I ranted a lot then at him in Welsh when he decided to stop and get out of his car. He accused me of being in the centre of the lane.. of course I was stupid person said I... Then he shouted a fair few things at me such as he understood Welsh (he didn't) and that he was irish so i should speak irish to him.. So i did.. :) He looked a bit confused and retreated to his car. Should I say here that i was reacy for fisticuffs even though he was big ish bloke and I am female..... Anyhow my little bit of irish flummoxed him ha ha... And I was very pleased with my intensive course in an spideal many years ago in the Gaeltacht, silly bald man. Am I allowed to say bald as an insult. He didn't object to me calling him English!! ;)

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Oh I'm so glad you're safe and alive :) I can't think of anything more dreadful than the sight of van and lorry drivers whilst out on the road. Stay safe :)

Dai

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2014
What an horrific day you've had, but thankfully are ok. I'm from West Wales and bought an electric bike a couple of weeks ago. These stories do make you worry about going out and enjoying the countryside. Which part of Wales are you from?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hai Dai. Diolch Dafydd :)

Only issue today was the massive haulage lorry who decided to hoot his enormous horn as he overtook me blydi close... As if it was my fault for even being on the road.. I do not go right to the edge by kerb cos that is stupid and so position myself 1/3 of way in my lane. Not in the centre but enough to stop cars / lorries thinking of getting past me by pushing me into kerb. This way they can choose to overtake and scratch their vehicles, leaving me room to serve if I need to.. I am not causing an obstruction behind me with cars not being able to pass. they just have to think first....

Anyhow.. Ynys mon dai :). Chditha?

Dai

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2014
Hi Dafydd. You're not having much luck! I'm just outside Aberaeron.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Most rides I have no real issues, but every now and then you have one of those days when everyone seems to be out to kill you.
On the plus side it makes you appreciate the good days :)

Glad it worked out ok in the end Wissy.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Glad your fine Wissy. You do get some idiots on the road.
By the way I reckon you could have taken him :)

However I do recall some research showing cycling is less stressful than driving but that is not to say there are not stressful moments.

Have a great weekend!
David

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi Dafydd. You're not having much luck! I'm just outside Aberaeron.
Lol.... No i am not a Dafydd!! Female... Assumed your name was Dafydd.. Usually is if a Dai ...

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Or David!

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
Oh I'm so glad you're safe and alive :) I can't think of anything more dreadful than the sight of van and lorry drivers whilst out on the road. Stay safe :)
I'm not sure what you mean by this? I drive vans as part of my business, and would hate to think of the sight of me as dreadful? Or are you generalising?

Surely this particular incident has more to do with idiots texting whilst driving? I must say I'm offended.

Sorry to hear of your near miss OP, that's not what any if us cycle for. I use one if those helmet cams whenever convenient.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
16 weeks prison for pretty much killing a cyclist.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These will soon be historic sentences in some cases.

The Justice Secretary has announced the introduction shortly of these much more severe sentences, but they are still only for driving while disqualified:

For causing serious injury: Up to 4 years.

For causing death: Up to 10 years.

The current maximum of 2 years also only applies if driving while disqualified and there is no offence of causing serious injury.

We really need greater sentencing possibilities for killing or injuring when still a qualified driver.