Also use as normal bike, long range

AlieH

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2015
I am looking for a new e bike with the following spec:
- be able to use as a normal bike by switching off assistance, without making it hard to cycle
- long range
- luggage rack
- for a female, city bike/leisure
- not too expensive
- ideally battery must be able to be taken off the bike to reload
Which ones can you recommend?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are lots of bikes out there, what is your budget and style of bike step thru or crossbar also the range you are after. Are we talking hybrid style that may have limited off road use for cycle ways/tracks and a rear battery that can be covered with double panniers.

AlieH

Apr 17, 2015
Many thanks for your reply.
Budget: I would like a bike under a £1000, if I need to spend a bit more to get my main requirements, then so be it. I would like it to be not too expensive as I fear it might get stolen, or it the battery might no longer work after a few years.
Style of bike: I would like to sit upright, like you see on the picture on the website on the right for Kalkhoff . There should be a fairly low crossbar, so that it does not look like a mens bike.
Range: I'd say about 30 miles (with occasional hills) . I currently have an Urban Mover from Halfords which only allows about 15 miles, with 1 steep hill of about 0.5 mile and slight inclines for the rest of the journey (from Marlow to Nettlebed). I had to purchase an extra battery to allow me to cycle longer.
You are right about limited off road use. I occasionally ride on dirt roads but find that with normal city bike tyres this are fine.
A rear battery is fine, the battery must be lockable so that when you leave it on the bike when going in a shop, you don't have to take it with you all the time.
The panniers I have are something like: http://www.internet-bikes.com/index.php?p=117&id=11620 and fit on any normal bike rack.
I find that in the descriptions of the bikes, my main requirement - being that I want to have the choice to not to use the battery when the terrain is flat/be able to use the bike easily if the battery is flat - does not seem to be in the descriptions.
If you can give me a couple of brands/types of bike you can recommend, I would be grateful.

AlieH

Apr 17, 2015
Do these Ansmann indeed meet all my requirements? These bikes look rather small, more like mountain bike size instead of bigger size, I might be wrong... Please let me know. Where are retailers in the neighbourhood of Henley on Thames to try these bikes?
I'd like others to respond as well with alternative brands so I have comparison material.
Many thanks so far!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: flecc
C

Cyclezee

Do these Ansmann indeed meet all my requirements? These bikes look rather small, more like mountain bike size instead of bigger size, I might be wrong... Please let me know. Where are retailers in the neighbourhood of Henley on Thames to try these bikes?
I'd like others to respond as well with alternative brands so I have comparison material.
Many thanks so far!
The FC1 Plus is available with 44 or 50cm frames and 26" or 700c wheels.
The FT 11 is available with 46 and 50cm frames and has 700c wheels.

Ansmann are quality German bikes, have the best warranty of any electric bike, 3 years on the battery, 4 years on the motor and 5 years on the frame.
The standard 9Ah battery can be upgraded to 11.6Ah for £100.

They are available from Cyclezee in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
London Wise,
The London Electric Bike Co and 50 cycles are near to each other I believe around the Hampton Wick area and The Electric Transport Shop in N.
Further a field Woosh are in Southend.

The chance of being able to upgrade and gain more AH on the battery is a v.g option.

Last edited:

AlieH

Apr 17, 2015
What about other brands like Ave, Kudos, FreeGo, KTM, Raleigh, Powacycle, Fast4ward, Oxygen, Batribike, Powabike, and all the other brands. Whats wrong with those?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nothing as they all will do the job there meant for but your budget was about 1k so most are out of your price range. AVE's are nearer 1.5 - 2k as are KTM''s, Kudos,KTM can be seen at LEBC. Frego's again mainly more than your budget except for the Wren, Oxy emate city 1.5k.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about other brands like Ave, Kudos, FreeGo, KTM, Raleigh, Powacycle, Fast4ward, Oxygen, Batribike, Powabike, and all the other brands. Whats wrong with those?
From those you list:

AVE bikes are fine, but the company may have an uncertain future. Having filed for bankruptcy they were due to be rescued, but there still seem to be some question marks about that.

Powacycle have given very patchy support over time, more often bad than acceptable. Most of their designs are very dated now, only the Infineon being more recent but that has had a number of problems. It's stacked batteries are not a good idea.

Powabyke is not the original company after commercial failure. The X bikes are basically ok but have been limited by a poor small capacity bottle battery. Declared to be 6.5 Ah, at one time they were found to have only 4.5 Ah cells when opened up, not good. I don't know what the true battery capacity is currently

Todays Raleigh e-bikes are moderately powered, made in the Netherlands by Dutch group Accell and suit that flat territory best. Good quality but not one for challenging hills.

KTM, Oxygen, Kudos are all fine and roughly cover three overlapping price brackets, high, medium and low in the name order shown.

Freego also fine and the company usually gives very good support. These days they operate as a combined company with Wisper and the pairing named FWG (Freego Wisper Group).

I know of members who are very happy with Batribikes but know nothing else about them.

I know nothing about the Fast4ward bikes, others may fill in with more information about them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for cycling unassisted, you cannot beat crank drive bikes with a downtube or behind seat post battery. The weight distribution is excellent and absolutely no drag from the motor.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

Reactions: JohnCade and flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

for cycling unassisted, you cannot beat crank drive bikes with a downtube or behind seat post battery. The weight distribution is excellent and absolutely no drag from the motor.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger
True when you're freewheeling, but it can be a different story when you're pedalling, depending on which crank-drive you have.

Drag from hub-motors is really a thing of the past, and, even then, it was mainly an illusion or myth going right back to the days when hub-motors didn't have clutches.

Of course again it's a different story if you have a direct drive hub-motor, like Kalkhoff, Giant, etc and the big 750w/1000w ones.

AlieH

Apr 17, 2015
I have narrowed it down now to these bikes, price in the middle, type to the right.
Pricetypes
Kudos865Safari
FreeGo950Hawk
Batribike980Diamond
Ansmann995FC1
Kalkhoff1075Groove

Which ones cycles easiest without assistance - I know someone said its debatable but I am after comparisons?
To be sure, for the ones that have the battery in the luggage carrier, can you put normal panniers on them?
Can the battery be locked on the bike?
What are your experiences about range?
How long have you had one of the above brands and is the battery still going strong?
On the Ansmann, I don't like the straight handlebars, is that changeable?
Where can I try out Kudos, FreeGo and Batribike?
Many thanks!

C

Cyclezee

Hi Alie,

I can answer your questions as far as the Ansmann FC1 Plus is concerned.
  1. It is easy to pedal without assistance
  2. Yes you can fit regular panniers, we can supply special bag holders as shown on the Ansmann rack below. ansicht_0037_111_Ansmann_07 copy.jpg
  3. Yes the battery can be locked on the bike.
  4. With the standard 9Ah battery we expect the average rider to achieve 30 to 40 miles over average terrain, higher with the larger capacity 11.6Ah battery
  5. The warranty period for the battery is 3 years and we expect them to last double that if it is cared for correctly by the customer.
  6. The photo below clearly illustrates that Ansmann FC1 Plus handle bars are swept back, not straight.fc-1-weiss.jpg

I hope this information is helpful and brings you closer to making a decision.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All bikes should be capable of having batteries locked on and removable.
I have already told you where to see Kudos bikes again go to LEBC in Hampton Wick. There are several Freego agents/sellers in London click on the FWG logo to the top right and you can put in your location to find stockists. Batribike's at Compton cycles in Catford SE6 4NU, one stockist in Coulsdon and one on Rose Hill in Sutton also one in East Barnet.
That FC1 looks nice John, Alieh you need to put your self out there and visit a few outlets to try a few.

Reactions: JohnCade

stevew

Pedelecer
No one has mentioned the "Momentum" bikes. Think they might fit the bill too!