Help! Alternative battery mounting options?

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
Hey all,

I'm converting a 2018 Giant Roam and I've just bought a large Hailong-style battery from Greenlance.

Unfortunately I didn't think to check if the mounting holes on the downtube would line up with the Hailong rails, and it turns out they don't. The holes in the downtube were meant for a water bottle and are too low (close to the bottom bracket) for the Hailong rails, but not low enough that I could mount it backwards.

Other than drilling new holes in the frame, which is really a last resort, what's the best option for fitting it inside the triangle?

Would it be worth making an adapter plate to go between the batter and frame, or buy a bag that hangs from the top tube? Return it and get a different battery that will fit?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem so I'd love to hear your advice!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hey all,

I'm converting a 2018 Giant Roam and I've just bought a large Hailong-style battery from Greenlance.

Unfortunately I didn't think to check if the mounting holes on the downtube would line up with the Hailong rails, and it turns out they don't. The holes in the downtube were meant for a water bottle and are too low (close to the bottom bracket) for the Hailong rails, but not low enough that I could mount it backwards.

Other than drilling new holes in the frame, which is really a last resort, what's the best option for fitting it inside the triangle?

Would it be worth making an adapter plate to go between the batter and frame, or buy a bag that hangs from the top tube? Return it and get a different battery that will fit?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem so I'd love to hear your advice!
Drilling holes in the frame is nothing to worry about. It's pretty easy to fit rivnuts without special tools as long as you get the ones with a bit of a flange at the top. A Hailong type battery really needs three screws to hold it, anyway, so you need to fit at least one rivnut.

There are adapter plates that you can buy from all the normal places, but they look a bit ugly and amateurish with straps around the frame.

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
Drilling holes in the frame is nothing to worry about. It's pretty easy to fit rivnuts without special tools as long as you get the ones with a bit of a flange at the top. A Hailong type battery really needs three screws to hold it, anyway, so you need to fit at least one rivnut.
Interesting, I don't have the tools (and I don't want to mess it up) so I'll call a couple of local bike shops and ask if they would be able to do it for me.

You've changed my mind on the adapter plate, it's currently a choice between a triangle bag or asking a shop to make some holes.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Interesting, I don't have the tools (and I don't want to mess it up) so I'll call a couple of local bike shops and ask if they would be able to do it for me.

You've changed my mind on the adapter plate, it's currently a choice between a triangle bag or asking a shop to make some holes.
Try to avoid bags for batteries. It's almost impossible to stop movement of stuff inside one. It looks great when the bike is in your garage, but bouncing up and down on pot-holed roads is different. Nearly all the ebike fires they show online have bag batteries.

I'd be surprised if a bike shop would help you.

You can buy the tool and rivnuts for less than the adapter plate:

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
Try to avoid bags for batteries. It's almost impossible to stop movement of stuff inside one. It looks great when the bike is in your garage, but bouncing up and down on pot-holed roads is different. Nearly all the ebike fires they show online have bag batteries.
I didn't know that! Thanks a bunch!

So it turns out I'm a dummy and didn't check the rails properly - the aluminium shell doesn't have anything inside, so I could get holes drilled in the baseplate and use that rather than drilling into the bike!

Attachments

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Just be careful the battery is sufficiently attached....those two water bottle mounting bolts were not designed for 3 or 4 or 5kg of load. One or two extra bolts gives peace of mind.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

It doesn't look ugly. You can't see it at all.

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
Just be careful the battery is sufficiently attached....those two water bottle mounting bolts were not designed for 3 or 4 or 5kg of load. One or two extra bolts gives peace of mind.
Very good point.

My plan at the moment is to get a universal rail (like Az. suggested), since that would be more secure than drilling holes into rail, and if it looks unstable then get a strap or use cable ties. I'm still against drilling into the frame but if I really need to then I will.

Reactions: matthewslack

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Very good point.

My plan at the moment is to get a universal rail (like Az. suggested), since that would be more secure than drilling holes into rail, and if it looks unstable then get a strap or use cable ties. I'm still against drilling into the frame but if I really need to then I will.
People are often scared of the unknown. Once the unknown becomes known, it's no longer scarey.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
People are often scared of the unknown. Once the unknown becomes known, it's no longer scarey.
Sorry to deviate from the thread, but I can't resist.
8 years ago it was unknown what Trump would be like as a president, and it was scary. Now it is no longer unknown, but even scarier.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fwiw when selecting Stainless steel riv-nut inserts i failed to secure them with diy tools so ended up buying a £10 ebay compression tool with a lever..

Could be just me being kack handed or the stainless steel being a tad stronger?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
8 years ago it was unknown what Trump would be like as a president, and it was scary. Now it is no longer unknown, but even scarier.
Thank goodness we cant do brexit twice.. we all know someone who wants too.. and 'properly' this time..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
IIRC, there were no US wars while he was president, the economy boomed, unemployment went down, taxes went down, and he made a few mean tweets and gave various politicians funny names, of which my favourite was Liarwatha after Liz Warren lied about her native Indian ethnicity. It still makes me laugh. I admit that it will be scarey if he gets re-elected, but the reason I'm scared is the unknown of what his enemies will do to disrupt him.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Let's get back to rivnuts. For the very many batteries that I fitted, I never used a rivnut tool - just a screwdriver and some scraps of steel strip. Now I have that tool and can't wait for a chance to use it, but my frame already has 6 rivnuts in the downtube because every time I buy a new battery, the bloody holes are in a different position. If I fit any more, I'll be able to use it as a cheeses grater.

Reactions: Pingk

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
IIRC, there were no US wars while he was president, the economy boomed, unemployment went down, taxes went down, and he made a few mean tweets and gave various politicians funny names, of which my favourite was Liarwatha after Liz Warren lied about her native Indian ethnicity. It still makes me laugh. I admit that it will be scarey if he gets re-elected, but the reason I'm scared is the unknown of what his enemies will do to disrupt him.
Really?? your comparing "granny told me i had a little indian in me " to jan 6th and 1000's of well documented lies n bullshit.

Edit-- conversion best continued over a friendly pint or 6 - Riv-nuts we can agree are pretty good..

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In the 4 years that Trump was president, the US national debt grew from 20 trillion dollars to 28 trillion dollars and that before covid costs were added. Besides lowering taxes, there is little to say about what he has accomplished.
It's clear that he borrowed to buy votes with lower taxes.